Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got my March Motor Trend. In it they have a short review of the Sky from detroit, including some options information that pertains to it and the Sky. I will quote directly the sections that pertain. I added the brackets to be sure everything is clarified {}.

Saturn says the Sky will have standard features that'll be optional on the Solstice, including OnStar, power windows, remoe locking, and air-conditioning, which is to say the Pontiac {solstice} actually will have roll-up windows, and no standard A/C to keep its price below $20,000. But GM admits you'll be able to kit out a Solstice with all the equipment available on the Sky {assuming they mean standard equpment on the sky}

Reports differ on suspension tuning-one saying the Saturn will ride a bit softer, another that the Solstice and Sky ride/handling dynamics will be identical. GM doesn't believe in oversteer here; the only way you'll be able to break the Sky's (or Solstice's) tail loose is vie trail-breaking. "It'll be an extremely good track car," the automaker {GM} boasts.

The engine at launch will be the same 2.4L variable valve ecotec four the Solstice will have, making 170 horsepower at 6400 rpm's. GM won't confirm if a more powerful engine is already planned, saying only that that it's studying a supercharged or other uplevel engine {turbocharged} for the future-about one year after the Sky's early 2006 launch
The piece had some other minor info, but this seemed to be the big news.

Solstice will basically be a stripper. Sky nets you normal conveniences on the base car. Also of interest is it imply's OnStar will be an option on Solstice, and not standard as we have seen elsewhere.

I also found the engine notes interesting. They are still leaving the door open for something other than a supercharged engine. I still smell turbo here. They also for the first time give a timeframe for such an engine, about a year after the Sky is launched. Now this could be MT speculation, or a hint from GM. The article doesn't make it clear. However, that would put an uplevel motor in Sky anyway around winter to spring 2007. Maybe a 2008 model year Redline edition?

·
Registered
85 Posts
OnStar availability

I read somewhere that OnStar will be a delete on fleet sales only. I don't mind having it - resale and security. The subscription rate is the only drawback.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
xfire305 said:
I read somewhere that OnStar will be a delete on fleet sales only. I don't mind having it - resale and security. The subscription rate is the only drawback.
The subscription rate isn't too bad, and you can always pass on renewing once the first year of gratis service is up anyway.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I wonder how many sub $20K models will actually be built. Most people are going to want some options. All I really want is A/C, (Texas must), and electric mirrors, but I'll probably have to take a package of some sort to get both.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
That could still mean a 2007 Sky RL. If the car arrives early 2006 as everyone is saying then a release of a RL model at the very end of 2007 could be possible. Who knows, we might see the higher output Solstice before the Sky as a 2007.5 MY.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
brentil said:
That could still mean a 2007 Sky RL. If the car arrives early 2006 as everyone is saying then a release of a RL model at the very end of 2007 could be possible. Who knows, we might see the higher output Solstice before the Sky as a 2007.5 MY.
Its possible, if they stagger the release of the F/I motor as they are staggering the release of the cars themselves.

·
Registered
144 Posts
How much is A/C going to drain engine power?

I'm not sure I will be interested in the Solstice if it cost me $5K or more to get decent options that are standard on my Grand Prix....

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Modern AC compressors are not too bad on draining power. They cycle on and off when cooling the car to use as little power as possible. It will drain it some, but you won’t need it as much as you would in a steel roof car anyway.

The Sol is supposed to top out at $24K fully loaded. That’s still not bad for this car, considering by that point it will be full of power amenities, AC, Onstar, leather, upgraded wheels, an LSD differential, and probably a few other goodies.

As for headlights, the Sol will have halogen bulbs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts