Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a thought, (I can hear the groans already...)
Do you suppose any of the parts from a Sky could be interchanged with the Sol? I figure they're going to be built on the same platform, so perhaps they will be similar enough to swap parts.
Maybe I'm the only one, but I think some of the body/trim parts from the Sky would look good on the Solstice. I suppose you can make anything fit with a little work, but if they could bolt right on I'd give it a try.
Any thoughts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
905 Posts
Isn't the Sky/Sol comparison a lot like a Camero/Firebird? Weren't those parts interchangable?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,901 Posts
Most mechanical parts will be interchangeable. I bet the seats will be too (I hope at least :D).

However things like the front/rear fascia, doorr panels, quarter panels might not necisarily mount up exactly the same as the SOlstice due to how they're shaped. You could probably get a body shop to make them work though. If you're thinking of things like the front headlights be aware you'll have to replace the entire hood and front fascia too to accomodate them since they're shaped completely different.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,452 Posts
I'd like to get the rear lights off the Sky to fit the solstice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:agree:
That's what I was thinking as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,452 Posts
Darkhamr said:
It would be the other way around for me.
Really?





The Skys scream cool.
Nothing wrong with the Sols however. I just like the coolness of the Skys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
381 Posts
I doubt that will work.

The shapes look completely different to me. Look at the "cutout" on the deck lid. It's a long slice on the Solstice, vs a chop of the corner on the Sky.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
I think I've probably said this before, but anyway...I really like the Sky and if the Solstice didn't exist I would be buying one. But, I just don't think the Sky looks "unique" like the Sol. To me the Sky is very Japanese (ricer) whereas the Sol is European with American flair :) Maybe I only feel this way having seen the Solstice. Maybe if there was no Solstice and I had seen the Sky first I would be in love...who knows. All I know is that I personally think the Sol is better and that the Sky is a knock-off.

To each his own...YMMV.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,961 Posts
C5Vette said:
I think I've probably said this before, but anyway...I really like the Sky and if the Solstice didn't exist I would be buying one. But, I just don't think the Sky looks "unique" like the Sol. To me the Sky is very Japanese (ricer) whereas the Sol is European with American flair :) Maybe I only feel this way having seen the Solstice. Maybe if there was no Solstice and I had seen the Sky first I would be in love...who knows. All I know is that I personally think the Sol is better and that the Sky is a knock-off.

To each his own...YMMV.
I feel very similarly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
381 Posts
C5Vette said:
I think I've probably said this before, but anyway...I really like the Sky and if the Solstice didn't exist I would be buying one. But, I just don't think the Sky looks "unique" like the Sol. To me the Sky is very Japanese (ricer) whereas the Sol is European with American flair :) Maybe I only feel this way having seen the Solstice. Maybe if there was no Solstice and I had seen the Sky first I would be in love...who knows. All I know is that I personally think the Sol is better and that the Sky is a knock-off.

To each his own...YMMV.
:agree:
To me, and this is just a PERSONAL OPINION, the Sky has too many "styling elements" (to put it tactfully). I felt the same way about the 4th gen Trans Am, compared to the Z28.

The nice thing, though, is that GM is giving the market some variety. The two models, Solstice & Sky, are different enough that casual observers may not realize that they're practically the same car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
535 Posts
SlipSlider said:
Really?




The Skys scream cool.
Nothing wrong with the Sols however. I just like the coolness of the Skys.
Yeah sorry, but that 'chromed plastic' around the light looks tacky to me. I like both cars and will probably buy the one that offers FI first, but I would definitely go with the Sky if they just toned down some of the accents.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,248 Posts
C5Vette said:
I think I've probably said this before, but anyway...I really like the Sky and if the Solstice didn't exist I would be buying one. But, I just don't think the Sky looks "unique" like the Sol. To me the Sky is very Japanese (ricer) whereas the Sol is European with American flair :) Maybe I only feel this way having seen the Solstice. Maybe if there was no Solstice and I had seen the Sky first I would be in love...who knows. All I know is that I personally think the Sol is better and that the Sky is a knock-off.

To each his own...YMMV.
:agree: As has been said by others on this thread, the chrome trim inside a clear bezel is all the rage right now in the tuner segment. It's flashy... Bling Bling as they refer to it. For my taste, it's too flashy, and I am more prone to like the styling of the AC Cobra, the 427 Cobra, the GT40, the Porsche 917. Thus, for me, the extra jewelery that the Sky wears is too much for me.

The Sky also looks a bit like it's styling inspiration, the Vauxhal, but like most other "inspiration" styling jobs, it lacks the Vauxhal's purposeful look. Sure, it's got about the same number of holes in the front, but the proportions aren't as good as the original Vauxhal.

However, I did not know that history when I first saw the new Sky (as opposed to the original Sky concept which I thought was a nice close second to the Solstice) at the LA Auto Show. My reaction was:
"Wow, it looks like someone went after it with a wicked sharp knife--it's carved up like a jack-o-lantern! It's got WAY too many holes gouged into the front..... But, that red and black interior is really cool. I like the colors.

The dash is pretty ordinary, and is reminiscent of the ION--nothing special, but not ugly by any stretch.

That red/black is very nice, if they had that color for the Solstice, I'd order that option...

Let's go back and look at the Solstice again.
Then, when I went back to the Solstice, the smooth curves, and the warm tones of the interior were soothing and inviting, like a cool 70 degrees F day cruising up the Pacific Coast Highway right along the beach. I felt more relaxed just looking at the Sol.

For me the choice was immediate, and obvious. Clearly tastes vary, and it is great that there are two very different flavors of the Kappa roadster. It means that folks are less likely to chop up the Solstice's smooth curves with body kits and rear deck wings. Let's leave all that Bling to the Sky.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,060 Posts
I had pretty much had it figured out and was hoping nobody else would have wisened up to the fact because I was planning on being the first Sol owner to do a Sky front end conversion. Now people are thinking about it, and I'm not sure I'd do it as soon as I could, but I'd like to have the conversion some day. Of course it wouldn't be permanent though. Since all it would be is replacing the front bumper cover, fenders, and hood I would keep the Sol parts around so that I could switch between them freely if I had a day off. You know, I drive the 'Skystice' for a while and then I feel like going back, so over the weekend I head out to the garage and remove the Sky front and replace the Sol front. Just like changing accessories to match your mood. I know getting a whole Sky front end might be costly, but one of these days I might give it a shot.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
5,600 Posts
Darkhamr said:
Yeah sorry, but that 'chromed plastic' around the light looks tacky to me. I like both cars and will probably buy the one that offers FI first, but I would definitely go with the Sky if they just toned down some of the accents.
I'll be shocked if there aren't at least a dozen after-market rear lights for the Sky, from classic-looking to radical. But if you are like me, I tend to like my cars more or less stock. I will add light-weight wheels but I don't plan to modify the exterior at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
381 Posts
dori-san said:
I had pretty much had it figured out and was hoping nobody else would have wisened up to the fact because I was planning on being the first Sol owner to do a Sky front end conversion. Now people are thinking about it, and I'm not sure I'd do it as soon as I could, but I'd like to have the conversion some day. Of course it wouldn't be permanent though. Since all it would be is replacing the front bumper cover, fenders, and hood I would keep the Sol parts around so that I could switch between them freely if I had a day off. You know, I drive the 'Skystice' for a while and then I feel like going back, so over the weekend I head out to the garage and remove the Sky front and replace the Sol front. Just like changing accessories to match your mood. I know getting a whole Sky front end might be costly, but one of these days I might give it a shot.
Here's hoping that the front edge of the doors has the same shape as the back edge of the fenders/hood! The Solstice door panels may have a different "indent" to them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,171 Posts
WaitingForBoost said:
Here's hoping that the front edge of the doors has the same shape as the back edge of the fenders/hood! The Solstice door panels may have a different "indent" to them.
I'm sure to make it look right you'd either have to swap doors too, or reshape the fenders/hood to make it flow. Door to quarter panel looks like it would work either way.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top