Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is something I observed. I was taking a look at the car after it had rained. I felt the top and it was dry to the touch, almost like it was coated with rain-x. The water beads off it like it was afraid of it. That's very cool. BUT, on the very top in the center of the middle "section" the water pools there, it doesn't run off. 10 of the 12 cars had a pool of water on the top.

Could this pose a risk to the top having water sit there all the time?
As well how long does the top maintain it's Rain-X properties?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
MG used to do that too

Hmmm.. this is bringing back memories of the things you do when you own a convertible then forget about.

The fabric is multilayered one being impervious, so I wouldn't worry about it leaking through. One sharp right or left gets rid of the water.

Best option don't leave it out in the rain.

·
Registered
229 Posts
SlipSlider said:
Could this pose a risk to the top having water sit there all the time?
I would not have water there when I put it in the garage. Make sure you wipe any excess off, I imagine that the top could mildew or something.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
deacon said:
I would not have water there when I put it in the garage. Make sure you wipe any excess off, I imagine that the top could mildew or something.
Yep, mildew, stain, discolor.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
deacon said:
just do the NASCAR swerve as you pull into your garage...LOL

well for one my Sky won't sit long enough to Mildew...LOL
just keep the top treated with some Vinyl/convertable Top protectant and it should be ok

·
Registered
229 Posts
Classic66vair said:
just do the NASCAR swerve as you pull into your garage...LOL
I have been looking at buying a house that has a rear entry garage, and the driveway is from the front, so you have to do a near 180 to go into the garage. You just gave me one more reason why this house would be good.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Park so one side of the car is higher than the other. Leaving the car on an incline like this should keep the water from pooling.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Use your shirt to dry it off before putting it to bed at night.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Top procedure

Does anyone have the factory procedure for putting the top up and down? I looked at the thread for the top, but it degenerated into a tirade about the hump in the trunk! It's been dead for a while. I'd like to know what the manual says about putting the top down. Does anyone know how to release the buttresses?

·
Registered
767 Posts
susies_boy said:
Does anyone have the factory procedure for putting the top up and down? I looked at the thread for the top, but it degenerated into a tirade about the hump in the trunk! It's been dead for a while. I'd like to know what the manual says about putting the top down. Does anyone know how to release the buttresses?
The key fob has a button to release the buttresses, and there is also a button in the car. I think its in the glove compartment.

·
Registered
763 Posts
trunk release button releases buttresses then the trunk, pull latch in center front of the top pull it back and shut the trunk, (with gusto to get it to shut) I've done it :D :cool:

·
Registered
229 Posts
susies_boy said:
The DVD that you get from the dealer has a demonstration on how the top works. I would guess that it is less than a minute to put it down.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
GradSoulStice said:
trunk release button releases buttresses then the trunk, pull latch in center front of the top pull it back and shut the trunk, (with gusto to get it to shut) I've done it :D :cool:
:agree: Yep, that's about it. I didn't have the key FOB, only the button in the glove box. But it releases the butress' first, and they pop up to 90 degrees, then the truck opens about 2". (See my picture in the gallery called something like After Step #1). Both these things happen very fast. Then while still in the car you release the roof latch lever (pictures in the gallery). Then you get out, pull the top back, push it down firmly into the trunk, and close the trunk. To put it back up you hit the trunk release again, get out, open the trunk and pull the top up. Then it's back inside again. Putting it back up requires a little more brut force to get the front to lock back into the windshield. Then back out again to push down and lock the butress' on both sides. This requires a walk around the car if you are alone. If you want luxery, this car isn't it. If you want some character and fun, this is the way to go.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thanks for all the input. I'm used to a Triumph TR-3 where the top had to be snapped all the way around the top of the windshield and around the back of the cockpit. You took off the top fabric, put in the trunk, then folded the top frame. The Solstice should be the same as my '89 Vette. The pins to lock the back of the top to the body were a pain to lock into place. If you did them first, the lactch on the windsield was a pain and vice versa.

·
Registered
275 Posts
stang said:
I can see it now. Solstice in parking lots with the butress' sticking up in the air because we don't feel like walking around the car to put them down. :lol:
oh, you know its going to happen! :glol:

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
stang said:
I can see it now. Solstice in parking lots with the butress' sticking up in the air because we don't feel like walking around the car to put them down. :lol:
Don't do that - the holes for the buttress attach in the decklid will leak when it rains :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
Even worse. The drivers side buttress will be attached, but the passenger side will be left up. :lol:

Me, I'll just raise the windows when I park. That is, unless I plan to be in a store for more than 15 minutes. Then the top goes up.

·
Registered
275 Posts
stang said:
Even worse. The drivers side buttress will be attached, but the passenger side will be left up. :lol:

Me, I'll just raise the windows when I park. That is, unless I plan to be in a store for more than 15 minutes. Then the top goes up.
i plan to hire two large bodyguards to stand by the car while im out. (they will have to ride in a white van behind me though)

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I wouldn't leave the top down when I go into a store for any length of time. I used to do it, but there are jerks that will throw trash into your car. Jealousy, I guess.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts