Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Ah yes. Maybe someday. Unfortunatly that is an older site with its information based on the original concept vehical back in 2003. That one had a supercharger and a trany out of a C6 Vette. Since then, they've announced that the transmission will be out sorced to the same company that makes the one for the Honda S2000 (can't remember how to spell it but it's close to Aisan). It will be a 5 speed.

I wish they would put a date on that site, or better yet update it. But don't stop looking for what little information that trickles out of GM.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Not the GM of Canada site AGAIN! :mad

Why can’t GM update that site! They are causing a lot of raised hopes, and then we have to squash them.

Unfortunately, there is no 240 HP engine or 6 speed manual at this point. I agree, hopefully it will happen someday. But right now, the only drive train that is official is a 2.4L 170 HP 4 naturally aspirated 4 cylinder and a 5 speed Aisin manual transmission.

We do think it won’t be too long after production starts that GM will add a higher output engine to the mix, but that is just speculation right now!

Edit: PS. the flaming mad smilie is directed at GM Canada, not the poster of this thread! :smile

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Just imagine what it's going to be like when production starts and everyone wants a Solstice. Well have ten posts like this a day.

·
Registered
151 Posts
brentil said:
Just imagine what it's going to be like when production starts and everyone wants a Solstice. Well have ten posts like this a day.
yeah, there should be a FAQ sticky, same one at the top of every forum, and lock it so only mods can enter in new stuff

:thumbs

·
Registered
189 Posts
A crushing blow to hopes and dreams...

Indeed, you people have become death, the ruiner of worlds! My dreams are shattered at this news, indeed I tell most of my friends Ill be getting this monster 6speed 250hp roadster.....all for naught! I must say, most disturbing news this is, I kept seeing 170hp listed on different sites, but they all still said supercharged, is that true? I dont see how it would be, and I also thought they would offer both models, at least release the lower end model then the supercharged shortly after? Are my hopes foolish? New to the sight btw, hello to everyone, Ive been feverishly hounding info on this beauty of a car since I saw it in cargo magazine a while ago, which again misled me by saying the car would be released this fall!!! when will it end!? nice to meet you guys

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
The Supercharged 240 HP version was the concept model shown off back in 2002. It uses a Supercharged 2.2L ECOTEC engine which I believe was the same 2.4L engine going into the production with the smaller displacement to allow for more boost. The 170 HP version uses a brand new variable technology 2.4L ECOTEC that has not been used in any other GM car yet to date. The 170 HP version is the only officially announced version so far. But we've had Pontiac and GM people say to journalist that the car could easily be Supercharged or Turbocharged. Since we're bored and idle we've madly speculated about both. Now the new speculation is we might hear some news from SEMA Show that starts Nov 3rd in Cali. Official information will more then likely be released begining of 2005 about 6 months prior to production. Who knows we might see a higher output version in year one, but on the same hand we might never see a higher output version ever. It might be a model refresh, or a new option down the road. GM history shows though that they hardly have any car with only ONE power option.

·
Registered
189 Posts
True True, sad that all we have is speculation, personally as long as the price stays in the same ballpark Id have no problem getting an aftermarket turbo, the only question is will they ever make a turbo or super-charged version, hopefully they will answer that when the first model comes out, because waiting and getting it supercharged and still under warranty would probably be the better idea, although I already feel the burn within to mod this car when I get it, when I get the money, so maybe it doesnt matter after all

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Brentil, your right! We will get tons of redundant questions all the time once the car comes out! A FAQ at the top as a sticky is a nice idea, but people have to read it for it to be useful and I have found that rarely happens on forums. We would still be inundated!

I agree that GM should not waste any time at getting a higher output Solstice to market. If it looks like it will be a while, I will make due with the base Solstice and be perfectly happy. But if I had a choice I’d certainly go for more power!

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Hey GM, you hear that. We all want more power. We all like more power. And I know what you like, more money. So if you give us more power, well give you more money :D

It can either be in the form of an available option, or GM Performance Parts dealer installed upgrade. Kinda like the Works package for the Mini-S. Come on GM, you know you like more money :lol

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
brentil said:
Hey GM, you hear that. We all want more power. We all like more power. And I know what you like, more money. So if you give us more power, well give you more money :D

It can either be in the form of an available option, or GM Performance Parts dealer installed upgrade. Kinda like the Works package for the Mini-S. Come on GM, you know you like more money :lol
Funny...reminds me of a lottery commercial around here that says ask your accountant if more money is right for you :lol

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
brentil said:
You're right, it's going to get out of control after January or so. Maybe when people go to register as a memeber, there could be a FAQ pop up that they have to read before they can complete registration. That would sort of make them get up to speed before they can post.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
AeroDave said:
You're right, it's going to get out of control after January or so. Maybe when people go to register as a memeber, there could be a FAQ pop up that they have to read before they can complete registration. That would sort of make them get up to speed before they can post.
What we'll need eventually is more moderators of course. People who can move threads into their correct topics and such. Because no matter what, people are going to post in the wrong place, and post things asked at least 20 times before. It's a given with most forums, and it just has to be dealt with.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
One thing I know I'm guilty of, and it appears we all are to some degree, is redirecting a thread to a new topic. I know it's what keeps the threads running but sometimes good discussions and information gets hidden under no longer discriptive headings. Case in point, under Solstice to have 240hp and 6gears!?!?! it's now changed to "How do we deal with FAQ's?" Is there some way to modify or add to a topic discription heading in addition to moving it.

Another possible help for those that have just found this forum would be to add a new discussion block or catagory on the first page (in addition to General, Technical, In-the-News, Off Topic) for FAQ's. Right know, if they don't see the little FAQ button, people are directed straight to one of these.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
DreamerDave said:
One thing I know I'm guilty of, and it appears we all are to some degree, is redirecting a thread to a new topic. I know it's what keeps the threads running but sometimes good discussions and information gets hidden under no longer discriptive headings. Case in point, under Solstice to have 240hp and 6gears!?!?! it's now changed to "How do we deal with FAQ's?" Is there some way to modify or add to a topic discription heading in addition to moving it.

Another possible help for those that have just found this forum would be to add a new discussion block or catagory on the first page (in addition to General, Technical, In-the-News, Off Topic) for FAQ's. Right know, if they don't see the little FAQ button, people are directed straight to one of these.
Good observation! We do take a free-form approach to threads. It works out ok for us because we have a small group of regulars, and the number of active threads at any one time is low enough that we can easily keep up with it.

But in the future, it will get more difficult to handle higher volumes of threads and keep track of where things are if the threads get off topic. I suppose if we really get off topic in a thread in the future one of us should really just begin a new thread. We could link the old one to the new one and/or vice verse so anyone following along can easily find the continuation.

I have an idea that I may post a new topic about. Creating a new section as you indicated, but labeling “New Members” or something along that line putting it at the top. It would be for new member introductions and basic Solstice questions that new members may ask. We could also have a prominent FAQ in that thread with information that answers many of the repeated questions such as vehicle specifications and options, etc.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
See I could live with a newbie section. They can post the same questions over and over, and intruduce themselves all they want there. Because I know that type of stuff is supposed to belong there. I just get annoyed when I go into the Solstice section and read about tissue paper or some bizare thing that just should have never been there.

Things are going to get off topic very easily too, but like you said Fformula88 we just need to learn to start new threads.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts