Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
'06 Solstice Base
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I looked at the trailer on FB Marketplace today made from the back portion of a Solstice.
Solstice Trailer Galien Michigan
The guy who built it says it was from a pre-production 2006 that was made available to the news / press media.
He said he got it from Schram Auto Salvage in the Detroit area.
Note in particular the solid tulip panel flap in one of the pictures.
I'm still debating on purchasing the trailer.
Opinions?
Pretty straight bodywork by jon72vega, on Flickr
Suspension by jon72vega, on Flickr
Tulip flap Surprise by jon72vega, on Flickr
Tulip flap Surprise by jon72vega, on Flickr
Plugged top latch hole by jon72vega, on Flickr
Trunk lid opener by jon72vega, on Flickr
Trunk lid opener by jon72vega, on Flickr
Inside Trunk by jon72vega, on Flickr
Inside Trunk by jon72vega, on Flickr
Spare Tire by jon72vega, on Flickr
Hitch by jon72vega, on Flickr
Hitch by jon72vega, on Flickr
Hitch coupler by jon72vega, on Flickr

·
Registered
06 solstice sliver.wicked coupe,dirtbike,4wheeler
2,097 Posts
needs spoiler and lower control arm supports. and ex tip too..I wonder what happend with the rest of the car? I could use a front frame section if the body shop dont think they can get mine perfect....

·
Administrator
10,980 Posts
@jon72vega , what opinions are you looking for? It looks pretty well done from the pictures, and the price seems decent. Do you need a trailer?

·
Registered
7,912 Posts
The only reason I'd buy this is for the novelty of it. I would think this weighs much more? than the motorcycle type trailers that people buy to pull behind Kappa's. But hey, if you like it, go for it. 👍

Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle

Reactions: JohnWR

·
Administrator
10,980 Posts
The only reason I'd buy this is for the novelty of it. I would think this weighs much more? than the motorcycle type trailers that people buy to pull behind Kappa's.
I'm certain you are correct about the weight. The wheels might might weigh more than a motorcycle trailer!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
If you decide to pass on it let me know. I think I might buy it just for the trip to the Nationals Next year. Being able to have a spare tire, tools & a jack may be worth it.

Reactions: Renee

·
Registered
'06 Solstice Base
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
needs spoiler and lower control arm supports. and ex tip too..I wonder what happend with the rest of the car? I could use a front frame section if the body shop dont think they can get mine perfect....
I gathered from talking to the guy that he has had this a long time.
According to him it was part of a 2006 pre-production car that GM sent to Schram Auto Salvage for destruction.
If that is the case the rest of the car is probably long gone.
@jon72vega , what opinions are you looking for? It looks pretty well done from the pictures, and the price seems decent. Do you need a trailer?
That is the kind of feedback I am looking for.
As far as needing a trailer, no I don't need it....... Wanting it is a different story. 😂
The only reason I'd buy this is for the novelty of it. I would think this weighs much more? than the motorcycle type trailers that people buy to pull behind Kappa's. But hey, if you like it, go for it. 👍

View attachment 117306
Agreed.. I like it because it's different.
I'm sure it's much heavier than a motorcycle trailer..... but much more stylish. (y)
I'm certain you are correct about the weight. The wheels might might weigh more than a motorcycle trailer!
I moved it around when I took the pictures... was easy to move, but yeah heavier than some of those small trailers.
If you decide to pass on it let me know. I think I might buy it just for the trip to the Nationals Next year. Being able to have a spare tire, tools & a jack may be worth it.
At this point I've told the seller I'll be over Monday afternoon to get it.
I used a cargo carrier for our short trip (about 160 miles) to the Nationals in Bellaire this year.
I brought a spare, tools, etc. along to Bellaire, and told my wife at the time how a small trailer would have been nice.

·
Premium Member
869 Posts
And you'll own a piece of Solstice history. Please post more photos of the tulip panel if indeed the flaps are sealed.

You are doing fine with this in my opinion.

Richard Snipes

·
Registered
197 Posts
Schram gets lots of GM (and others) development vehicles that can't be sold as complete cars. I don't know the exact process today, but I know in the past they documented with video that vehicles that were supposed to be scrapped were indeed taken apart. I know in the case of the Solstices they got they actually took about a one foot section out of the middle of the car. They then sold front and rear clips that could never be built into complete cars.

(It's not uncommon for us auto engineers in the area to see cars we recognize in the junkyard. "Hey, that's 6238, my emissions car" or something like that.)

·
Registered
'06 Solstice Base
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And you'll own a piece of Solstice history. Please post more photos of the tulip panel if indeed the flaps are sealed.

Richard Snipes
I’ll try to get more pics of the flaps in the next couple of days.
Thanks for your opinion.

·
Registered
'06 Solstice Base
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Schram gets lots of GM (and others) development vehicles that can't be sold as complete cars. I don't know the exact process today, but I know in the past they documented with video that vehicles that were supposed to be scrapped were indeed taken apart. I know in the case of the Solstices they got they actually took about a one foot section out of the middle of the car. They then sold front and rear clips that could never be built into complete cars.

(It's not uncommon for us auto engineers in the area to see cars we recognize in the junkyard. "Hey, that's 6238, my emissions car" or something like that.)
Thanks for giving us a more complete picture of how this works.

·
Registered
06 solstice sliver.wicked coupe,dirtbike,4wheeler
2,097 Posts
short tongues can be a mess to control sometimes. gldd you get it home with no issues. good to see you got it to match up to the rest of the car just fine...dang your fast, come to fl and finish my car :eek: 😄

·
Registered
'06 Solstice Base
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
short tongues can be a mess to control sometimes. gldd you get it home with no issues. good to see you got it to match up to the rest of the car just fine...dang your fast, come to fl and finish my car :eek: 😄
Yes, the trailer color being "Deep" is a bonus.
I'd be happy to help you on your car if I ever go to Florida!

·
Registered
'06 Solstice Base
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Richard Snipes
Disappointed kinda.
Kind of hard to gain perspective from this picture, but this is the underside of the tulip flap.
Backside of tulip flap by jon72vega, on Flickr

·
Registered
'06 Solstice Base
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The trailer was purchased with no title.
I will fulfill the requirements for a title, and one task is getting it weighed.
I took the trailer to the local truck stop yesterday after work.
580 lbs ..... lighter than I would have guessed.
Weigh slip by jon72vega, on Flickr

·
Registered
'06 Solstice Base
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Stop by my pla
jon72vega said:
Yes, the trailer color being "Deep" is a bonus.
I'd be happy to help you on your car if I ever go to Florida!

Stop by my place on the way out....
The more, the merrier!
Congrats! That is a great find at a great price and unique as hell.
Big thumbs up!
Thanks!
Initially I wasn't gonna buy it, but then I realized I'd probably never find another one for sale, never mind it was 15 miles down the road from me.
Very happy you picked this up! Such a cool piece. Can't wait to see what it looks like when you're done with making it yours. :)
Thanks!
It's a work in progress for sure.

I removed the bumper cover yesterday to see if there was any wiring for the missing license plate lamp housing.
Found the hot wire, but no ground... so I wired in a 2 prong plug, added a ground wire, and tested the light.
License plate light hooked up by jon72vega, on Flickr

Here's the lamp housing I am using.
License plate light with plug by jon72vega, on Flickr

I also received the missing reflector / backup light housings I ordered in yesterday's mail.
so I added them on.
Reflector and backup light housings installed by jon72vega, on Flickr

That's where I'm at for now.
I am going to the local Michigan Secretary of State branch tomorrow after work to try and register it, and get a license plate for it.
Wish me luck.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts