Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys/gals,

I was wondering today, does anybody know what the deal is with the new cars off the line and the ones that have been sitting there for a while? With all of these cars in the lot, will they just be picking random cars to ship? Because as far as I know, there are 2000 or so sitting in the parking lot and wouldn't it make more sense to send the ones that have been sitting for a looooong time before the ones that have just been built? (hint GM, send number 1715, it is going to snow arghhh)
I dont want to be seeing number 4624 being delivered, number 8254 etc delivered before mine! that is ridiculous. To me personally, I think it makes more sense to get the ones that are the oldest out of there so the UV's dont destroy them. literally.

Does anybody have some information from a good, crediantled source? The lack of information is causing me to loose hair... wait a second, im 18, I cant loose hair.

I need my little lady home before she has to drive home in the slush, filled with salt and other nasty things. ahhhhhh :willy:

·
Registered
905 Posts
Do you feel lucky?

That's pretty much what it comes down to.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:(

Aw, this sucks.
So it is basically like picking 1 needle out of 2000 I guess. I am going to talk to somebody and have them look into it. But who will it be. :willy: GM needs to prioritize ! :cuss:

I guess I'll have to be patient!

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
...who knows?

After numerous pushed back dates from my dealer I was about to give up. Unknown to me my car was built on 9-5-2005 and delivered to the dealer on 10-15-2005. Apparently it sat around for about 40 days. I got it 2 days after that. Delivered six months to the day from when I ordered it.

I was about to give up when it finally came. But now...wow, the wait is history. The ride is amazing. I am learning how to drive it better each day. It's true what they say...rev it up alot, over 4k before each shift. It jumps up and runs, baby. Very cool. Very fun. Very solid.
:cool:

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
"Just Wait Baby".......

As Al Davis says "Just Wait Baby!" Actually Al Davis says "Just Win Baby" referring to his Oakland Raiders. Apparently they have forgotten how to do that. At 2-4, they don't do much winning anymore. Where's my Solstice?! :lol:

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
One of the issues is that they have to have the shallow incline car carriers for the Solstice because of it's low ground clearance. They're using the same carriers they use for the Corvettes. This means that sometimes they have to wait for an available transporter.

Other production delays have been quality holds. I received VIN 821 just over two weeks ago. It took very close to the guessed 31 days between production and delivery.

Small Dealer did a retrospective analysis (with only a few data points) and showed that for most of the country, the time between production and delivery was on order 15 to 20 days, with locations further away taking longer (California and a few other states coming in at around 30 days). And that was for a car well into it's production cycle, not a new platform....

Have patience. Mine was delivered without the polished wheels I had ordered, and I was quite disappointed. However, after driving it for about a week, I almost forget because, YES, it is that good.

Use the search to see some of my recent posts on the performance characteristics. You won't be sorry, especially if you let that Ecotech breath deeply and get well up into its power band.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Crimson Avenger said:
One of the issues is that they have to have the shallow incline car carriers for the Solstice because of it's low ground clearance. They're using the same carriers they use for the Corvettes. This means that sometimes they have to wait for an available transporter.

Other production delays have been quality holds. I received VIN 821 just over two weeks ago. It took very close to the guessed 31 days between production and delivery.

Small Dealer did a retrospective analysis (with only a few data points) and showed that for most of the country, the time between production and delivery was on order 15 to 20 days, with locations further away taking longer (California and a few other states coming in at around 30 days). And that was for a car well into it's production cycle, not a new platform....

Have patience. Mine was delivered without the polished wheels I had ordered, and I was quite disappointed. However, after driving it for about a week, I almost forget because, YES, it is that good.

Use the search to see some of my recent posts on the performance characteristics. You won't be sorry, especially if you let that Ecotech breath deeply and get well up into its power band.
It seems that people who live close are waiting alot more then 15-20 days, never mind the ones going by train. When Small Dealer posted that ,it wasn't for the Solstice it was the average people waited on other GM car I believe.Now I can be corrected by any dealer if I'm wrong. Do you relize how many car were built Aug. and beginning of sept that aren't delivered yet.Alot. As a matter of fact you lucky if your car makes it out right away some have but not many.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Im not into logistics, but this is how I would distribute the cars. And GM might be doing something similar:

As stated above, there are a limited number of transporters because of the special incline. So, you have to be smart on what cars to deliver. This is what I would do. Lets say GM has 4 transporters avaliable to deliver cars. I would look at the 4 cars that have been waiting the longest to be delivered. I bet on a geographic basis, it is random (because the whole country loves the Solstice!!). Lets say, one is going to Southern Cali. :) , one to New York, one to Florida and one to Ohio. I would put each car on a seperate transporter since they are all in different directions. Then, for each transporter, load the cars that are on the way or near the delivery location. For example, load all the cars that are near or close to New York. I think this way is a faster way to deliver all the cars than to just go in chronical order. This could also explain why a car with a vin 3xxx could be devilvered before a car with a 2xxx.

·
Registered
76 Posts
As with everyone else, I'm still waiting. I spoke to Pontiac Customer Service Wed., they didn't have a clue. My dealer calls the dealer business center weekly, they don't have a clue. The dealer was going to contact the area rep. for GM yesterday. I will update if I get any additional info.

Vin # 1294 Built (3800) first week of Sept., and still there

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well...all I can tell you is what my dealer explained to me.
My car was completed on Oct. 4th. It has been sitting in Delaware on the holding lot (or whatever they call it) waiting for a train (?). He told me that there appears to be a shortage of train cars going to the west coast and Seattle in particular. BUT...he did say he was told that I would indeed have my car on or before my Birthday on Nov. 16th.
You would think that a company the size of GM would have their own special train cars or something!
I know this don't help you much, but that's what I was told...sorry.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
cwt137 said:
Im not into logistics, but this is how I would distribute the cars. And GM might be doing something similar:

As stated above, there are a limited number of transporters because of the special incline. So, you have to be smart on what cars to deliver. This is what I would do. Lets say GM has 4 transporters avaliable to deliver cars. I would look at the 4 cars that have been waiting the longest to be delivered. I bet on a geographic basis, it is random (because the whole country loves the Solstice!!). Lets say, one is going to Southern Cali. :) , one to New York, one to Florida and one to Ohio. I would put each car on a seperate transporter since they are all in different directions. Then, for each transporter, load the cars that are on the way or near the delivery location. For example, load all the cars that are near or close to New York. I think this way is a faster way to deliver all the cars than to just go in chronical order. This could also explain why a car with a vin 3xxx could be devilvered before a car with a 2xxx.
But you have to relize alot of them are just going to the train yard. Sometimes 3 stops at different depots, sometimes it stays at one depot for a week untill the get enough cars to fill a train car to continue it's journey.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
FloridaSol said:
As with everyone else, I'm still waiting. I spoke to Pontiac Customer Service Wed., they didn't have a clue. My dealer calls the dealer business center weekly, they don't have a clue. The dealer was going to contact the area rep. for GM yesterday. I will update if I get any additional info.

Vin # 1294 Built (3800) first week of Sept., and still there
Most of the cars built in that time frame are on quality hold. But they are being fixed as we speak, 7 days a week 3 crews. So they should get them out fairly fast.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.