Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Fformula88 said:
GM did publish the trunk volume numbers as 4 cubes top up, and 2 cubes top down.
4/2 never "officially" published by GM....thought it came from England mule reporter last spring (probably indirectly from GM engineer on the scene?).

It's probably true but just never officially listed anywhere because we have no final specs yet :mad

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
big_daddy_mpd said:
Ok..."sports car". Definition, since, oh, forever...a car you drive for fun, and by definition, is NOT practical...not in any way whatsoever! If you've got to have practical...what are you doing looking at a Solstice?
I had been thinking that a car like this would work for taking me and my wife on weekend trips with luggage. I had thought I could do that, and have fun driving there too. It seems though, what I had in mind was too practical and will require me to look to a "family" sort of car to accomplish this mission, like a Boxster, Miata, TT, C6, S2000, Thunderbird, Crossfire or SLK. It sucks that I'm going to miss all the fun you sportscar guys are going to have. :rolleyes

·
Premium Member
10,437 Posts
Oh boy, I just can see the replies to your comment about the "family" sort of car
and about sportcars....
Wow look out I can see them coming. :jester

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Technically this is a Roadster, not a full blown sports car. If they made a Coupe version I'd be more abliged to call that a sports car. A Roadster is designed for open top enjoyment, going on road trips, etc. And like AeroDave said, I'd like to be able to take my Roadster on a weekend trip with the wife someplace without making her cary things in her lap, or having to take her car. I'm not buying a new Roadster so I can only use it to drive to work and the corner store to get milk.

·
Registered
270 Posts
For what the car is, I still don't think the idea of having a removable luggage rack on the back so very bad. I've seen some fairly nice examples, preferably with some sort of aluminum case that you can remove easily enough. It's not as though you'd appear as the Clampets as you race down the highway.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Michael said:
For what the car is, I still don't think the idea of having a removable luggage rack on the back so very bad. I've seen some fairly nice examples, preferably with some sort of aluminum case that you can remove easily enough. It's not as though you'd appear as the Clampets as you race down the highway.
Some people might like them and use them, but personally I find the trunk racks hideous. I just plain don't like them unfortunately, so they're really not an option for me.

·
Registered
270 Posts
brentil said:
I'm not buying a new Roadster so I can only use it to drive to work and the corner store to get milk.
Likely not brentil, but somehow I have this image of your lovely at home tapping her foot while you run to the store for milk and taking the much longer scenic route getting there and back ;)

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
brentil said:
Some people might like them and use them, but personally I find the trunk racks hideous. I just plain don't like them unfortunately, so they're really not an option for me.
Me either, didn't like them on the old cars and don't like them now. I'd rather get our heads together once the car is out, and figure out ways to mod it for better trunk space if possible. Usually anything is possible, it's just a matter of whether it's worth the gains or not. :cheers

·
Registered
270 Posts
AeroDave said:
Me either, didn't like them on the old cars and don't like them now. I'd rather get our heads together once the car is out, and figure out ways to mod it for better trunk space if possible. Usually anything is possible, it's just a matter of whether it's worth the gains or not. :cheers
I think you're right in the sense that if we get creative anything's possible. I know some Miata members removed the spare tire in the trunk and I believe mounted it someway beneath the car for additional trunk space. That's just one example.

·
4,592 Posts
AeroDave said:
I had been thinking that a car like this would work for taking me and my wife on weekend trips with luggage. I had thought I could do that, and have fun driving there too. It seems though, what I had in mind was too practical and will require me to look to a "family" sort of car to accomplish this mission, like a Boxster, Miata, TT, C6, S2000, Thunderbird, Crossfire or SLK. It sucks that I'm going to miss all the fun you sportscar guys are going to have. :rolleyes
AeroDave, your comments are followed by a rolleyes smilie, but I have to take those comments as having a hint of sarcasm, correct? "Family" cars like the boxster, miata, SLK......I got a laugh :lol

Guess I'll take the family MSM wagon down to the store to get some groceries, TOO BAD I'll be mising out on that sportscar fun :jester

Sarcasm, I think so!!!!!!! Pretty sure I read that one right

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Was at the airport a while ago, and thought about this -

Y'know, it's no secret that everyone wants to carry something with them. And it's not a big deal to figure out what a decent amount per person is reasonable.

The airlines basically gives you a 9" X 14" X 22" space for carry-ons. That's 1.6 cubic feet. They actually provide another space thats about 14" X 16" X 8", another 1 cubic foot (under the seat - inconvenient, but available).

Thats 2.6 cubic feet. Per person. Very generous.

Why couldn't there be a rule (law?) for all new car designs to provide 2.6 cubic feet per vehicle occupant. A 2-person car requires by law 5.2 cubic feet minimum, and must accomodate two 9X14X22 box and two 14X16X8 box. In any configuration that can accomodate reasonable storage and removal of the "boxes".

That's one roll-on, and one "briefcase" or "purse" or "parka" or whatever.

Additional storage space above and beyond that is considered marketing advantage.

And a standardized "golf bag" dimensional object would make sense - therefore the ability to advertise "meets all storage laws but configured in such a way to store TWO standard golf bags volumes."

That way - future designs wouldn't ever have this choice be part of the issue - all imported designs must abide by such as well (so even the miata would have to improve their storage), and would prevent false advertising. It would force correct packaging decisions, and everyone would have to play by the same rules. It would eliminate one of the semi-critical elements of a car that can be a "hidden compromise".

There's already legitimate ISO icons legislated - why not storage space. How many times have you seen 5 cubic feet and wondered what it looked like, or was it 5 cu.ft. of convoluted space that stored a 0.5 cu.ft. box and 4.5 cu.ft. of sand (or water or orange juice or cement...).

It's not a mystery that we all want to carry "stuff". I've had trouble at times getting a "5 passenger vehicle" but really is only a "3 passenger plus enough storage to handle 2 1/2 folks luggage".

I WANT MY 2.6 CUBIC FOOT STANDARDIZED STORAGE SPACE!!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
If the hump is the gas tank I suppose that it would have been too dangerous to have the tank be the entire surface area of the trunk but much lower in height?

It would make the trunk shallower but probably more useful.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
solsticeman said:
I WANT MY 2.6 CUBIC FOOT STANDARDIZED STORAGE SPACE!!!
Exactly. And 2.6 cu.ft. is for one person as well. You couldn't drive yourself and another person to the airport, because you wouldn't even be able to hold one persons worth of cary on space (with the top down of course).

·
Registered
397 Posts
Nothing wrong with the passenger carrying their luggage on their lap on the way to the airport. These are tradeoffs that must be made in the name of a fun, cheap car.

If a trailer hitch were installed, a platform could be put on the hitch for luggage, I have seen these on SUVs but not on a car.

Like This:
http://www.hitches-forless.com/cargo_carriers/standard_folding.html

Could it work?

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well if they are going to put a hitch on then I would want one of those fancy trailers like I have seen at auto shows. You know they are painted the same color as the car and have a very aerodynamic look, weather proof, and alot more space than just a rack on the back would give.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Problem is when you throw your 2.6 x 2 cu ft of stuff that far back behind the rear wheels on a car that's already pretty close to the pavement, it puts a whole new meaning to "Hauling Ass" as well as "Ass is Dragging". Think of the old teeter toter (moment arm). 50 to 75 pounds carried 2 feet behind the bumper would make sparks from the rack hitting the pavement or "Dragon Ass" :jester

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
DreamerDave said:
Problem is when you throw your 2.6 x 2 cu ft of stuff that far back behind the rear wheels on a car that's already pretty close to the pavement, it puts a whole new meaning to "Hauling Ass" as well as "Ass is Dragging". Think of the old teeter toter (moment arm). 50 to 75 pounds carried 2 feet behind the bumper would make sparks from the rack hitting the pavement or "Dragon Ass" :jester
HEHEHE, however unless your putting 2.6x2 cu.ft. of say lead, or concrete, or wrought iron in the trunk, I really don't think you're going to be able to pack that much weight in that small space. In general, you or your passenger would end up weighing 3 times the ammount of whatever you're going to pack in a 2.6 cu.ft. space. To go along with Solsticeman's airline example. You're limited to that 2.6 cu.ft. of space, and you're also limited to 50lbs per item as well.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Standardized trunk space standards are an interesting idea! I’d like to see that for small cars! I want my 2.6 cubes of standard space per seat too! :lol

Obviously compromises are made when you buy a car of this nature, but it’s the car that makes the least compromises that begins to work its way to the top. Trunk space is a big compromise too. The less space there is, the more difficult it is to compromise.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts