1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Motor vehicle
So our local auto enthusiasts club had a car show in colonial Williamsburg. Entries were assigned spaces and I was parked next to a red Ferrari.

My gxp held its own in terms of appearance and general interest demonstrated by the crowd. I was so proud.

Featured cars were early F
Car Wheel Automotive parking light Land vehicle Tire
ord's

Attachments

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That front plate is an injustice to the Solstice. You should open the hood. The reverse clamshell always gets attention. :)
The Ferrari's got an awkward front plate too...va law. I did open the boot and bonnet occasionally but the show folks wanted hoods down for the event

·
Registered
479 Posts
Over here in Brazil Solstices are totally unknown. We have been called out a couple of times by someone saying "hey, you with the Ferrari". I guess the colour helps 😁

I wouldn't mind owning a F360 too. One of the last stickshift V8 Ferraris, if memory serves me right.

·
Administrator
8,961 Posts
The Ferrari's got an awkward front plate too...va law. I did open the boot and bonnet occasionally but the show folks wanted hoods down for the event
I'm with your show folks.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I don't do car shows. Any reason why?
Noticed in your photos there are a few cars with their hoods opened.

·
Administrator
8,961 Posts
I don't do car shows. Any reason why?
Noticed in your photos there are a few cars with their hoods opened.
I can't speak for that show, but several that I have participated in have had the policy that the show is about the "look" of the car, and not the technology. So hood, trunk, and doors closed is the preferred (or required) display configuration.

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious
978 Posts
I can't speak for that show, but several that I have participated in have had the policy that the show is about the "look" of the car, and not the technology. So hood, trunk, and doors closed is the preferred (or required) display configuration.
Yes but much of the sex appeal on some cars lies under the hood!

·
Administrator
8,961 Posts
Yes but much of the sex appeal on some cars lies under the hood!
I agree with HHGadget. A well dressed engine is a work of art.
Very true, but car shows are frequently focused on body design and style, and open hoods completely spoil that aspect.
It comes down to the focus of the show, and the intent of the organizers, so you pick your show based on how well your ideas coincide with theirs.

The question was why hoods were to be kept closed, and the reason is because the organizers wanted it that way, probably for the reason that i stated.
You can agree with the decision or not, and there are certainly arguments each way, but if you want to decide which way it goes you have to be the organizer.

·
Registered
479 Posts
A well dressed engine is a work of art.
Although I agree with that, I have always had something in my mind about originality. Love me a (clean and tidy) "vanilla" engine compartment!
Even when lookign at engine-swapped cars, I tend to gravitate towards the "factory-look" engine bays...

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
I
I have been at shows that demanded that convertibles be shown with the top up. When I asked why I was told that a convertible shown with the top down got an "unfair advantage" over hard topped cars. That was the last time I showed my car in any "judged" show in a national event.

Reactions: mcurrier

·
Administrator
8,961 Posts
I

I have been at shows that demanded that convertibles be shown with the top up. When I asked why I was told that a convertible shown with the top down got an "unfair advantage" over hard topped cars. That was the last time I showed my car in any "judged" show in a national event.
That is an odd reason in my mind. I have never heard of such a rule.

In a true concours the a convertible has to be inspected with the top up and down to ensure its function and originality. Of course the car's engine bay, trunk, and interior are also inspected for the same reason.

Judged car shows are completely different from "display" shows, and even then the judging can be to different criteria.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So this was not a competitive show...no awards or prizes. Our club president specifically requested that hoods be down except maybe for extraordinary engines like a Packard straight 8 but even those guys kept the bonnets down
I have shown a jaguar etype roadster and, yes, the soft top had to be erected.

I think in the case of the solstice, the hideaway top stowed shows the car to best advantage. To its credit, though, the solstice looks pretty cool even with the top.up

·
Registered
49 Posts
Our cars can really old their own in the appearance category! That Ferrari 360 looks awfully a lot like friend's old one too, I'm in 757 lol.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
We have a dealer sponsored car show on weekends, very casual, no trophies just free coffee from the dealer. I go once in a long while if only because it makes me clean up the car and do some detailing I wouldn't otherwise do.

Once in awhile you end up parked next to a car that makes an interesting contrast to yours.

Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting

Can't recall which model of Ferrari was beside me, but he seemed a bit put off that most people were looking at my coupe as they'd never seen one before. On the other side was a V8 powered Lotus Esprit, so I was in good company. Second pic is from a local paper

·
Registered
479 Posts
Nice. It's a 612 Scaglietti, I believe, and it's a good match to the F360 as the 612 was one of the last stickshift front engined V12 Ferraris. I love its design and it is a true grand tourer.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
Thanks - always wondered which Ferrari it was but never spent the time researching it. I can see why the owner wasn't enthused about people trying to peer past his car to get a pic of mine!

Funny - they made more than double the number of that Ferrari as they did the Solstice coupes.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Ferraris are a dime a dozen in Vancouver, BC. You drive out to Richmond...a suburb of Vancouver and you'd see all types of 6-figured exoticas in the malls, grocery stores, and bubble tea shops. Many of them sport the 'N' (new driver) tags. I can imagine folks are bored of the usual supercars and interested with unique curiousities like your Solstice coupe. I know I would.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts