Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
4,592 Posts
Good find! I enjoyed it, it was like watching a Miata Forum regular and a Solstice Forum member hash over the details that we've all been going over for a year. It was still fun.

Goes to show, the main points are there as we've always said they would be: The Sol wins for looks (love the bar of soap comment - that's becoming standard issue), MX-5 for heritage of reliability, Sol has very small trunk, Sol weighs more, etc.. etc... These points will be repeated in reviews for a long time to come, but that's OK, I like reading them anyways.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Notvery scientific, but still an interesting video.

·
Read Only
3,468 Posts
Very Interesting

Thanks for the link. Being a 1st time roadster buyer, I started by looking Miata, found the Solstice, and underwent a conversion. :lol:

While I could certainly be happy with the MX-5, my real decision today, as I see it, is Deep or Envious! :yesnod:

Anyway, thanks again.

--Chemist

·
Registered
753 Posts
the niata is the natural competition for solstice... i think these two are fixed on how much better the solstice looks but don't think it will be the miata's equal on performance. when i look at the kappa platform, the tourque curve of the ecotec and the suspension/ tire/wheel aspect of the solstice, i think they may be mistaken.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Good find mikefred1952.

Some of the stuff was little off but overall a good debate. Not sure when it was recoreded but the Solstice guys acted like the Solstice was many months away? He pulled out the ol'e bar of soap line :lol:

The Miata guy threw stones at the Solstice low price being a stripped down bare bones but in reality MX-5 did basically the same thing with their pricing.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I think it would be interesting to have them debate it again, knowing now that the Solstice has 10,000 pre-orders. Something else that neither of them mentioned is that it is highly probable that Solstice is not only going to take away sales from the Miata, but it is attrracting buyers that never would have purchased a Miata. I'm sure the Miata is fun to drive, but I never even considered buying one. because to me it's just an ugly little convertible car. The design is very unimaginative. So, I am a sale that Mazda never would have had without a drastically different design. Once Sostice hits the dealership lots (which obviously is a considerable time away) I think the Miata will have a hard time picking up anything except repeat business. The only thing that could change this is if there turns out to be quality problems with the Solstice. But I will be surprised if that is an issue. The next couple of years will be interesting.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Let's face it. The makers of Miata are shaking in there boots right now. The Solstice is going to hit them like an unexpected rock chip hitting your windshield on the freeway. The chip starts out small, but unattended, becomes a long crack throughout the windshield. I guarantee you, they will redesign the Miata again within 18 months. :leaving:

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
cdb said:
when i look at the kappa platform, the tourque curve of the ecotec and the suspension/ tire/wheel aspect of the solstice, i think they may be mistaken.
What makes you say that?

·
Registered
767 Posts
ntouched said:
Let's face it. The makers of Miata are shaking in there boots right now. The Solstice is going to hit them like an unexpected rock chip hitting your windshield on the freeway. The chip starts out small, but unattended, becomes a long crack throughout the windshield. I guarantee you, they will redesign the Miata again within 18 months. :leaving:
Perhaps that redesign is the reason that Franz Von Holzenhausen who designed the Solstice was recruited by Mazda. How close to the looks of the Solstice do you think the next MX-5 will be?
:lol:

·
Registered
90 Posts
ntouched said:
We know Mazda hired away the guy that first penned the Solstice. If they aren't already working on a (incredibly costly) replacement for the Miata, they will come out with a new RX in developmentally short order, I'll wager. The last RX was such a beauty, but I hear too expensive. Mazda needs something that has some type of visual appeal to replace the NB Miata.

·
Registered
905 Posts
When looking around at cars I wasn't even looking at the Miata. Originally I wanted the MR2 Spyder, but when I heard they were canning them I went looking else where. Luckily I saw this site :)

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
My Miata is fun, and I chose it because it was about the only two seater I could find with a reasonable price tag. I can't wait for my Solstice. I know there will be quirks with the car, it's never been manufactured before. I also know that next year there will be changes that I wish I had in this year's car. It doesn't matter. The Solstice is revolutionary for GM. Not since the early days of Corvette did we see such innovation. The Corvette went from concept to production in very short order. The use of fiberglass for the body was because the dies for metal couldn't be produced in the time frame they wanted. The fiberglas was a hit and is still around. Look at the specs on the first 'vettes, they were dogs with respect to performance, but that all changed. I think we are looking at a very exciting time for GM. A totally new concept in a flooded market, and it already has the competition concerned. In twenty years, we'll look back when we are watching "Cars" on television with our grandkids and say "I owned one of the first Solstices produced," and we'll say it with pride. I just hope GM can keep it's head above water long enough to make it all work.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Ex-Miata Man said:
My Miata is fun, and I chose it because it was about the only two seater I could find with a reasonable price tag. I can't wait for my Solstice. I know there will be quirks with the car, it's never been manufactured before. I also know that next year there will be changes that I wish I had in this year's car. It doesn't matter. The Solstice is revolutionary for GM. Not since the early days of Corvette did we see such innovation. The Corvette went from concept to production in very short order. The use of fiberglass for the body was because the dies for metal couldn't be produced in the time frame they wanted. The fiberglas was a hit and is still around. Look at the specs on the first 'vettes, they were dogs with respect to performance, but that all changed. I think we are looking at a very exciting time for GM. A totally new concept in a flooded market, and it already has the competition concerned. In twenty years, we'll look back when we are watching "Cars" on television with our grandkids and say "I owned one of the first Solstices produced," and we'll say it with pride. I just hope GM can keep it's head above water long enough to make it all work.
In 20 years I hope I don't have grand kids! :)

·
Registered
753 Posts
brentil said:
What makes you say that?
IMHO,people who think the solstice is just a pretty face are going to be surprised at how well the solstice drives. the Kappa platform was concieved from the ground up as roadster platform. with the hydroformed frame rails and box section center tunnel it actually reminds me of a lotus chassis. the 50/50/weight distribution and the minimal overhangs (wheels pushed to the corners) bodes well for a balanced feel in a solstice.
early reports from test drivers faulted the feedback through the wheel due to power steering tuning, but stated the engineers were working on this using the Honda s2000 as a benchmark. more recent-non professional drivers of later prototypes describe 'go-kart' handling- a good sign indeed. they are describing a car that corners flat and fast. the 18" wheels put a lot of rubber on the road...the tire gurus on the site say it may be overtired but it will probably pull .9 on a skid pad. i don't think i'll be finding the limits of adhesion on the road anytime soon.

the power to weight ratio is in the ballpark of my favorite driving cars...bmw 323 and mini cooper-s.... no dragsters to be sure but very satisfying when you let them stretch out a little bit. the tourque of the ecotec comes on early and stays up all the way to redline. i like that alot. to me it means that we'll get good power in the lower revs and it won't run out of breath as revs build. the S2000 and RX8 make great torque but so far up the tach that you are at extra-legal speeds before you see it- a little scary if you aren't on a race track. the solstice power curve promises a good launch ( geared to spin 1st and 2nd a and chirp third i hear) and enough power low to forgive a missed downshift or two.

the new miata promises to be a better driver than the old and it's a good thing. the old miata needed another 25 hp and 20 ft/lb of tourque... something like th MSM.... to make it as entertaining as it should have been.
the solstice does carry more wight than the miata, but it is also a slightly larger car..and a more comfortable fit than either the miata or s2000.

the auto press will be facing off the new miata and the solstice for sure, and i haven't seen any driving impressions of the new miata- but to assume that the solstice is all sizzle and no steak as these two 'commentators' seem to have done . well i think they are going to be wrong. in fact i think they are going to be very wrong.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
cdb said:
IMHO,people who think the solstice is just a pretty face are going to be surprised at how well the solstice drives. the Kappa platform was concieved from the ground up as roadster platform.
:agree: :agree:

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I just hope GM can keep it's head above water long enough to make it all work
In spite of the fact that GM is facing some difficulties, they aren't in any danger of folding. If worse came to worse, does anyone honestly think the federal government would allow GM to fold? If they bailed out Chrysler, you can be absolutely certain they would bail out GM. GM's impact on our country's economy is too vast for them to do anything else. They also play a part in defense, so GM's not going anyplace. And you can be sure that GM isn't anywhere close to being in critical trouble. They have billions in cash reserves. The biggest question for the immediate future is whether or not they will maintain their place as the largest auto manufacturer, not whether they can keep their head above water. And I think they are making some moves that will help them maintain their lead.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I was offended that the Miata-guy said "The 'pudgy' Solstice."

I fail to see 'pudgy' anywhere... maybe in comparison to a bar of soap.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts