Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although the relation is obvious now, before joining this forum I had never associated the Miata with the Solstice. Frankly, I would never consider buying a Miata (no offense to current or past Miata owners), but I love the Solstice...which makes me want to see them side-by-side to understand why I prefer one so much over the other. With so many talented Photoshop users on this forum, I was hoping someone might be able to create a comparison image, showing the two cars side-by-side for comparison...perhaps an image in profile and an image from the front and back (at the same scale). I'd be really curious to see their size and styling relationship or differences.

Anyone up for the Photoshop challenge?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I did a comparison on specifications, which I posted on the Edmunds forum so I'll post it here

............................2006 Solstice..............................2005 Miata(Cloth Int)
Base Price(Inc Dest) $19,995....................................$22,658
Cylinders.........................4.............................................4
Engine.........................2.4L I4.....................................1.8L I4
[email protected][email protected]
Gas Mi City/Hwy).........20/28.........................................23/28
Valves.........................16.............................................16

Height.........................50.1..........................................48.3
Length.......................157.2........................................155.3
WB.............................95.1..........................................89.2
Width.........................71.3..........................................66.1
Weight.......................2860..........................................2447
Cargo/Trunk...........3.8 cu ft (up).................................5.1 cu ft

AC........................$960.00.........................................Std
Power Package.......$625.00.........................................Std
Floor Mats.............$ 60.00.........................................Std

Hope this helps some!! I also have the Solstice compared to the Honda S2000, BMW Z4, Chrysler Crossfire, and Mini Cooper S. If anyone wants to see the comparison let me know.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I did a comparison on specifications, which I posted on the Edmunds forum so I'll post it here

............................2006 Solstice..............................2005 Miata(Cloth Int)
Base Price(Inc Dest) $19,995....................................$22,658
Cylinders.........................4.............................................4
Engine.........................2.4L I4.....................................1.8L I4
Gas Mi City/Hwy).........20/28.........................................23/28
Valves.........................16.............................................16

Height.........................50.1..........................................48.3
Length.......................157.2........................................155.3
WB.............................95.1..........................................89.2
Width.........................71.3..........................................66.1
Weight.......................2860..........................................2447
Cargo/Trunk...........3.8 cu ft (top up)............................5.1 cu ft

AC........................$960.00.........................................Std
Power Package.......$625.00.........................................Std
Floor Mats.............$ 60.00.........................................Std

Hope this helps some!! I also have the Solstice compared to the Honda S2000, BMW Z4, Chrysler Crossfire, and Mini Cooper S. If anyone wants to see the comparison let me know.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
'06 MX-5 Specs from Mazda.ca

MX-5 Miata Specifications
Dimensions
Overall length 3,995 mm (157 inches)
Overall width 1,720 mm (67.7 inches)
Overall height 1,245 mm (49 inches)
Wheelbase 2,330 mm (91.7 inches)
Track: front / rear 1,490 mm/ 1,495 mm (58.7 inches/58.9 inches)
Seating capacity 2 persons
Engine
Type MZR 2.0L I4 DOHC 16 Valve
Max output (target) 2.0L: 118 kW/160 PS at 6,700 rpm (European Spec)
Max torque (target) 2.0L: 188 Nm (19.2 kg m) at 5,000 rpm (European Spec)
Bore x stroke 2.0L: 87.5 mm x 83.1 mm (3.4 inches x 3.3 inches)
Transmission
Type 5-speed manual
6-speed manual
6-speed sport automatic
Steering
Type Rack and pinion
Suspension
Front Double Wishbone
Rear Multi-link system
Brakes
Type: front / rear Ventilated disc / Solid disc
Tires and Wheels
Tires: front / rear 205/50R 16 with 16x6½ J
205/45R 17 with 17x7J
NOTE: This information reflects preliminary specifications and was correct at the time of going to print. However, Mazda policy is one of continuous product development. The right is reserved to change these details at any time.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Since counting by 10 is unamerican, here's HP and ft/lbs:

170 hp (166 w/ AT)
140 ft/lb

91 octane is also recommended.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Comparison Solstice/Sky & MX5

We know the Miata has gain the reputation as a "chick car" here in the U.S. The Solstice/Sky runs the same risk with it's cute styling. Performance is what the Pontiac name is about within GM. The 2006 MX5 will be giving that name sake a real challenge though. The new MX5 is coming in around 300 lbs less than the base Solstice/Sky which translate into 45 more usable hp even though the MX5 will have 26 less lbs of torque. The question is whether the 5-speed in the Solstice/Sky will be able to out accelerate the 6-speed in the MX5? I believe the 0-60 nod will go to the Solstice/Sky and the 0-100/1/4 mile times will go to the MX5. The handling question will not be answered until some track times are performed, but I believe the MX5 will have the edge here with smaller wheels, more gears, and less body roll (from weight numbers).

Personally, the Solstice/Sky is a much sexy design on the exterior, and the new MX5 has the best looking interior of any MX5 to date. The price is a factor too with the Mazda coming in over the Solstice/Sky with the same options. For me, a modified Sky is my choice; either Redline or conversion. I expect to see the roadster wars on the cover of car magazines really heat up next spring!

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
You want to compare the 2006 Miata since it's a new generation of Miata. Is a closer compare to Solstice.

Miata is little more refined since it's a 3rd generation so it has a better trunk, easier top plus maybe little better fit and finish.

Solstice has better styling (subjective but most people would say), more torque and better price.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Frankly, I'm glad that the Solstice isn't going to blow the new Miata out of the water. It'll make for some good competition in many ways, on many levels.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Driver's impressions of the new MX-5 should be coming in about 2 weeks. That's the press kick off event in Hawaii and some current Miata owners were also invited. Expect some internet postings soon afterwards.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I would like to point out the 6-Speed Automatic 2006 MX-5 has 166HP and not 170HP like the manual transmission versions.

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Fantasy Showdown: Solstice Takes On Miata!

I hope this link works for the above mentioned article. http://www.autobytel.com/content/shared/articles/templates/index.cfm/article_id_int/565/id/25112

Fantasy Showdown: Solstice Takes On Miata!
2006 mighty mites do battle for roadster supremacy…on paper by Brian Chee

Introduction

All those years.
Sixteen, to be exact, some thin and others thick with improvements on what the Japanese call “jinba ittai,” which means “rider and horse as one.” Through it all, the Mazda Miata has ruled as the roadster with the most of everything that matters – and hardly anything that doesn’t. It has been the unquestioned enthusiast’s choice for light, lively sun driving, bulletproof to fads of styling and technology. A good car doesn’t need fancy doodads to work right, and the Miata has been the elemental example of purity for those who love cars.

Has been. The words seem to hang around when talk turns to the Miata. Has been a great car. Has been the best, most affordable roadster. Has been Mazda’s clarion call. Has been – no one talks about the Miata in terms of what’s to come. It’s always has been, and for all its simplified glory, the inevitable fate of the Mazda Miata is that it may soon become a has-been. The sun will set on one of the most illustrious runs by any car anywhere, despite significant changes made to the 2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata. Aye. The shadows creep, even now, shadows created by a new and sexier roadster that will cost about the same and carry with it a promise to deliver similar performance.

The Solstice is coming. And even Miata diehards are paying attention to Pontiac’s little two-seater.

Well – that’s one version. The 2006 Pontiac Solstice still has quite a bit to prove. And judging from General Motors’ recent record, just getting out on time and trouble free to an eager public will be a success. Sure, the Solstice is sexier. And at $20,000 for a base model, it will likely be a few thousand dollars less than the Miata. And as surely as this signals oblivion for Mazda’s little chipper champ, only time will tell if the Solstice, and then its brother, the Saturn Sky, measure up to the Miata standard and make driving the cars a habit for old-timers and diehards.

Solstice vs. Miata. Miata against the tyranny of the Solstice and its clones. While driving the two will render the final judgment, it’s interesting to take out a piece of paper, compare features and specs, then give one an edge before the main, on-road event occurs.

DESIGN
General Motors designers are free to squeal like school children and build a style that evokes a classic, sexy roadster – two words that have not defined a GM product in a long, long, long time.

The thing still looks like a bar of soap.
But perhaps changing that was not a priority, as Mazda engineers instead worked to stiffen the body structure, improve weight distribution and maintain a low center of gravity. It’s all part of their “jinba ittai” marketing nonsense. Yes, the car delivers great performance, but the only significant styling changes were as a result of its longer and wider stance, making it look like a piece of Irish Spring instead of a plain old Ivory bar. The 2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata’s wheelbase has been stretched 2.6 inches, its length is increased under an inch, and its width is up 1.6 inches. More exaggerated wheel flares and a taller, wider hood add to its new look.

The Solstice, of course, has no “jinba ittai” to maintain. Just the Bob Lutz look, swooned over at auto shows and now frantically replicated as a production model. As a result, General Motors designers are free to squeal like school children and build a style that evokes a classic, sexy roadster – two words that have not defined a GM product in a long, long, long time. If they deliver, the 2006 Pontiac Solstice is likely to become one of the most beautiful American cars ever designed. From its honeycombed twin-port grillework to its thick exhaust outlet, the Pontiac Solstice offers a stunning blend of proportion and balance.

INTERIOR
Engineers and designers reportedly spent plenty of time getting the placement and feel of the 2006 Pontiac Solstice’s shifter just right, and the pedals have been placed to offer optimum heel-and-toe downshifting.

Mazda has increased the dimensions of the 2006 MX-5 Miata. Pontiac officials claim that even still, the 2006 Solstice offers more shoulder room.

The only way to really tell is to climb in and see.
Until then, count on improved hip, leg, and shoulder room inside the Miata, with more storage space – including a larger glovebox – and a bigger trunk. As always, the top is manually operated, and drops to fit flush and smooth with the 2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata's body. The top includes a glass rear window with a defogger, and black is the standard top color, with saddle (tan) available on upper trim levels.

While interior details are not yet finalized for the Solstice, some of the features include a convertible top that folds flat behind a clamshell cover on the rear deck, completely hidden from view. The instrument panel is designed to envelop the driver, and features simplicity and quality materials. Engineers and designers reportedly spent plenty of time getting the placement and feel of the shifter just right, and the pedals have been placed to offer optimum heel-and-toe downshifting. When leather is ordered, the cabin is treated to an upscale two-tone treatment.

PERFORMANCE
This is where it really counts for roadsters like the Miata and the Solstice. Interior comfort and style are nice, but people buy these cars because they are fun to drive – which is why the Miata has been so popular for so long.

The 2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata certainly will live up to expectations – and then some. It may also, however, live up to the Solstice, with larger wheels and a more powerful engine. Of course, it’s all about how it comes together on the road – on paper, it looks like the Solstice is slightly ahead, thanks to an aluminum 2.4-liter DOHC Ecotec four-cylinder engine that makes 177 horsepower and 166 lb-ft. of torque. The engine powers the Pontiac Solstice's rear wheels through a five-speed, close-ratio manual transmission. Underpinning the 2006 Pontiac Solstice is GM's Kappa architecture, comprised of hydroformed full-length frame rails, a closed stamped steel center tunnel and a four-wheel-independent short- and long-arm suspension system. Large 18-inch wheels with 245/45 tires and four-wheel-disc brakes come standard on the Pontiac Solstice, with ABS an available option. Expect a special 2.0-liter Ecotec engine, like the one in the Saturn Ion Redline, that generates around 200 horsepower, shortly after the initial launch.

The Miata has weight going for it. As in less weight, by around 400 lbs., enabling the 2.0-liter inline four-cylinder engine to provide comparable acceleration at 170 horsepower and 140 lb.-ft. of torque. The Miata’s power is controlled through a standard short-throw, six-speed manual transmission, with a six-speed automatic transmission as optional. Power is delivered to 17-inch wheels sporting four-wheel-disc brakes. Additional improvements, such as a lighter flywheel, electronic throttle control and a stiffer driveshaft should make the Miata feel significantly quicker than its predecessor.

WRAP
For the 2006 Pontiac Solstice, it’s all about power, looks and price: seven more horsepower but 26 lb.-ft. more torque; a classic style that makes the Miata look like a tin can; and a price that, as $20,000, should be a little less than the sticker price for a new Miata.

One has history going for it, and some Japanese hooey about riders and horses. The 2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata is also lighter on its feet, and one hopes very attuned to the driving needs of a roadster buyer. After all, they’ve been at it for 16 years – more than enough time to get the kinks out. For the 2006 Pontiac Solstice, it’s all about power, looks and price: seven more horsepower and 26 lb.-ft. more torque; a classic style that makes the Miata look like a tin can; and a price that, at $20,000, should be a little less than the sticker price for a new Miata.

But discount the deal. Pontiac dealers are sure to make you eat the savings by selling over sticker. Which one is a better buy comes down to the style you like, durability histories, and the effects of about 400 lbs. on handling and performance.

Stay tuned.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Verynice find for sure. :agree:

·
Premium Member
10,471 Posts
Great read, it was well done.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Not sure why this article came out so soon before some of the real road tests are due. This paper comparison will be soon be overtaken by actual test impressions. In any case, he does point about a couple of the major deciding factors - styling preferences and the possible effects of the 400 pound weight difference.

The Mazda USA web site now has new content by the way. A more complete PDF spec sheet showing features for all 5 models (club sport, MX-5, Touring, Sport, and Grand Touring). It also has a sound clip.

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=upcomingMX5Miata

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
tcl said:
Not sure why this article came out so soon before some of the real road tests are due. This paper comparison will be soon be overtaken by actual test impressions. In any case, he does point about a couple of the major deciding factors - styling preferences and the possible effects of the 400 pound weight difference.

The Mazda USA web site now has new content by the way. A more complete PDF spec sheet showing features for all 5 models (club sport, MX-5, Touring, Sport, and Grand Touring). It also has a sound clip.

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=upcomingMX5Miata
:lol: the press is running out of things to talk about too :glol:

·
Registered
251 Posts
solsticeman said:
:lol: the press is running out of things to talk about too :glol:
Exactly!!...That is why I think you should let us play with "Matt" some more....PLEEEEZE :glol: :glol: :glol:

Think of us as cats...getting bored with stuffed toys and balls of yarn...give us a REAL toy to play with!! :lol:

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Has Mazda posted their MSRP prices yet on the new 2006?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts