Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think. What will be the quicker better handling car? The Mini Cooper S or the Solstice. I think Solstice has about 200 lbs on the Cooper, but the solstice has almost 20 HP more. Plus the torque of the ecotec has to be better considering the displacement. Realistically they are probably pretty close in performance but it seems that the cooper S is a little faster 0 - 60 (although the data varies site to site). As for the handling thats anyones guess but the weight doesn't help the solstice.

I have a buddy with the cooper S and I want him to only see the rear end of the solstice.

Let me know what your take is.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Cooper S is quicker but im not sure which would handle better. I love minis but EVERYTHING is an option the type s goes to like 26-27k in a hurry

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
I started out 2 years ago looking at the Mini S too. Nice for a fun car but Solstice is more of a true sports car and will most likely have better performance.

I think you buddy will be looking at the Solstice rear end ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
check the numbers again

the mcs curb weight includes the eu mandated 175 lb. of driver and baggage. removing that gives a curb weight of 2513 (with ac) with ~168 hp ~ 14.95 lb/hp. there are early tests of the 2005 mcs with the new revised gearing at 6.4 0-60.

sosltice at ~2860 (no ac?)/177 ~ 16.16 lb/hp.

given the already tested oustanding slalom results of the mcs, i doubt a stock solstice will outrun a mcs either accelerating or through the twisties. at best, there will be good racing! :)

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Friend recently bought a fully equiped Mini S. He got everything but the WORKS package. My other friend who does PCA events went driving in it with him, and eventually drove it himself. He was very disapointed from all the hype he had heard about how good the car was supposed to be. He also felt it seemed very gutless even with the Supercharger on it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
My uncle got a mcs about 6 weeks ago and let me drive on our way out to eat. It has decent hp, but I was really disappointed by the torque. After looking at the dyno of the 2.4L VVT, I was impressed with the fairly flat torque curve (for a 4 anyway). Sol will prolly beat the mini s of the line, but once the engines started getting into higher rpms the mini would probably come out on top.

·
Registered
381 Posts
mustangnomo said:
My uncle got a mcs about 6 weeks ago and let me drive on our way out to eat. It has decent hp, but I was really disappointed by the torque. After looking at the dyno of the 2.4L VVT, I was impressed with the fairly flat torque curve (for a 4 anyway). Sol will prolly beat the mini s of the line, but once the engines started getting into higher rpms the mini would probably come out on top.

You buy horsepower, but you drive torque.

Don't forget that you're comparing apples to oranges, a FI Cooper to a NA Solstice.

In this race it'll come down to driver ability, probably.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Interesting comparison - my wife has a 2005 Mini Cooper S. We had a 2003 - and sold it to get a 2005 with the LSD. For expectations on price - it is a fair comparison - the Mini starts at just around $20K for the S - and goes up to $26K. Our EOP Solstice is going to be in the $24K neighborhood. We will definately have expectations on quality for the Solstice - BMW is not taking a loss on their cars and the materials don't show shortcuts - leather on the steering wheel is standard, the sport vinyl seats are comfortable and supportive, the suspension is just on the edge of sporty/rough. My wife has already commented that the details of the sand interior have a cheap appearance. On the other hand - they are two separate cars - FWD vs RWD, roadster vs 2+2 (although there is a convertible for $4500 more), and supercharger vs natural (so far). The Mini Cooper S speed numbers are going to beat the Solstice - 0-60 is 6.4 vs 7.2 secs - but the .9G for the Solstice is better. Of course, the Mini plays with Porsches in the slalom. Speed times will change, if they build the forced injection cars - but at what premium? The base Mini has the 6.4 sec 0-60 and it starts under $20K. For me, you can't beat a mid-engine layout - but the Solstice 50/50 layout is nearly as good. The Mini resale market is pretty good. You will pay MSRP to get a new one - same as the EOP - but the Mini does not have direct competition - unless you count retro cars like the Beetle and PT. The Solstice does have competitors in a similar price bracket like the Miata MX-5, MR2, and many other used cars - Z3, S2000, and the first Boxsters. It will have to be a great car to remain viable. The Sky is going to appeal to the higher class material market - and hopefully bleed back materials to the Pontiac - but the Solstice seems to be going back to a performance/excitement area for Pontiac. Performance parts are already planned in the first year, a forced-injection model is on the way, and the rumors of the coupe (or at least a hardtop for the convertible) will make it competition for the Miata in racing series events. Make mine a coupe with a six-speed and forced injection. In the 60's BMW wanted to be the Pontiac of Germany - now the tides have changed. Everyone knows that the first car magazine test will pit the Solstice against the Miata and new MX-5 - winning on a price point is not the answer for a car that is a choice for most - not the practical car. The Solstice needs to build a better driving sports car than the MX-5, with at least the quality of the Mini - all for a price that doesn't need discounts to be competitive. Do this - and it will be a winner. Don't - and the Miata will comfirm the death of two Pontiacs - the Fiero and the Solstice.

·
Registered
753 Posts
he mini-S is a neat car to drive. the suspension and handling is well sorted out..unlike the cobalt SS i took out that had way more power but poor feedback through he controls poor caster response and so much understeer under braking that i felt like i was driving farm machinery. there is way more to a sporting drive than a powerful motor and the mini, although not underpowered, shines for me because of it's character- it just begs to be thrown into a corner.
it is not going to take the place of my solstice beacause it is not a roadster, but it is in second place after drivng lots of more expensive cars (rx8, 350Z) because of it's fun factor.

·
5,600 Posts
xfire305 said:
Of course, the Mini plays with Porsches in the slalom.
With P245 rubber on every corner and a very rigid structure, I suspect the Solstice will be similarly fast through the slolam. Isn't this car exciting? :party:

·
5,600 Posts
cdb said:
there is way more to a sporting drive than a powerful motor...
:agree: As shown with a drive in any 3 Series BMW. Some cars beg to be pushed.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Did a comparison of www.auto123.com

Of Cooper S and Solstice

Looks like the same 0-100km for MCS as Solstice very similar weight, hp and torque

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was just curious to see what people thought... I know its an apples to oranges kind of thing, but thats what makes it more interesting. I think the two will be pretty close in performance. I think in the end the solstice will have a slight edge (very slight). Yeah it may not be faster 0-60 but I have to believe the ecotec has the advantage when it comes to drivabilty. Meaning a broader torque band and in general more torque. If the handling is as good as they say it is (.9 g's. I don't think the mini's is that high) then I would have to believe the solstice will be a better overall car. Or at least if you were to autocross it or full fledge race it. So it may be a little down on power to weight, but if you can carry more speed through the corners it may just be a little better. It will be fun to actually find out!!! Can't wait to get mine.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think they are more similar than dissimilar. Both are impractical, sporty, convertibles (I am referencing the mini convertible), priced similar, and have similar performance (for the cooper s)...

The mini priced with every option I would get comes in at just over 27000, the solstice with everything I would get, pretty much everything, is just under 25000.

I think that the car mags should a comparison test of affordable convertibles. Along with a Solstice, Miata, MR2 (if it is still available), mini cooper s, PT cruiser turbo, v6 mustang vert, and a vw bug vert turbo.

All these cars should perform closely enough, and be priced about the same; and all have a kind of cult following...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts