Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Sol Driving Member
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw an ad in the Kansas CIty Star this morning and a quick glance looked like some charity here was using a Solstice in the advertisment. It was not a Solstice, but rather a Nissan Z Roadster. Has anyone looked at this car?

It appears to be similar in size and shape, but has a V6 and a mid-to-upper $30's price tag. Looking again it may resemble the Sky a little more. Also has an optional 5-speed automatic...why would you want one in a roadster?

Personally I will still wait on my Solstice.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
GO_DRVN said:
Also has an optional 5-speed automatic...why would you want one in a roadster?
If you have a physical disability or you drive in areas with heavy traffic.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Editguy said:
If you have a physical disability or you drive in areas with heavy traffic.
Or you are just tired of shifting gears or never drove a manual before. :)

·
4,592 Posts
The Z is my next test drive, but just for curiosity to see it's aceleration/performance. It's a 0-60 in 5.5secs give or take (I understand they have 2 different engines now).

·
2,574 Posts
RODEO said:
The Z is my next test drive, but just for curiosity to see it's aceleration/performance. It's a 0-60 in 5.5secs give or take (I understand they have 2 different engines now).
I've been kinda waiting to hear about this and why it doesn't come up much surprises me. Be sure to fill us in when you do it. ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
well.............the two most obvious distinctives would be the Weight and HP.

The Z is a very impressive car, roadster or not. it has alot to offer towards the tunner market.

2006 Z Roadster
Engine
3.5-liter DOHC 24-valve V6 engine (A/T models)
287 hp @ 6,200 rpm
274 lb-ft @ 4,800 rpm

3.5-liter DOHC 24-valve V6 engine (M/T models)
300 hp @ 6,400 rpm
260 lb-ft @ 4,800 rpm

curb weight 3,580
Weight distribution 53/47
Wheelbase 104.3
Overall length 169.8
Overall width 71.5
Overall height 52.5

my money is on the Kappa Platform

·
2,574 Posts
RODEO said:
I've been kinda waiting to hear about this and why it doesn't come up much surprises me. Be sure to fill us in when you do it. ;)

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Not really an option here. Same price range as Z4.

The coupe version came in 8th of nine cars in R&T sports car shoot out earlier this year.

·
4,592 Posts
birdliver said:
I believe Brentil had a Z coupe, maybe he can give us a review!

·
5,600 Posts
In person, the 350z does not look even remotely like a Solstice or Sky. Except for having 4 wheels, 2 seats, and 1 folding top they have almost nothing in common.

Automatic is always a great option. Most enthusiast would rather eat a plate of worms than to give up shifting for themselves. Most people are not enthusiasts.

The 350z has the reputation of being a very good mid-level sports car. Everyone loves the power output of the zesty V-6. I was even briefly tempted to get one because I was beginning to feel the Solstice and Sky were underpowered. But the 350z design just doesn't inspire me and it weighs about 400 lbs more than I want in a sports car. It would be easier to live with the less powerful Solstice than to live with the less beautiful Z.

I'm not knocking the car, though. The 350z and the G35 coupe are both reputed to be very good cars. I could be pleased with either. If I had any sense, I would go down to Nissan and see if the Z doesn't give me more of a thrill than the Solstice. But I don't.

·
Registered
191 Posts
My Roomate has a z coupe and she hauls.... I haven't driven a Sol yet but I have good reason to believe that our 2.4 can hang. He seems to Concur. Although, he thinks his z looks better, I promptly corrected him

·
4,592 Posts
jerzkid said:
My Roomate has a z coupe and she hauls.... I haven't driven a Sol yet but I have good reason to believe that our 2.4 can hang. He seems to Concur.
Are you suggesting the Sol will "hang" with the Z in acceleration? If so, I mean no offense, but there is no chance that will happen.

My MSM stayed even with a G35 0-70 the other day, I was happy! But I know it waseither I hit the shift points better, or the G35 was an automatic, or some other reason. I was surprisedhe didn't pull away. Smoked him in the truns though, he had no chance there. :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
350Z Tire Issues

jimbo said:
The 350z has the reputation of being a very good mid-level sports car. Everyone loves the power output of the zesty V-6.
Speaking of reputation, doesn't the 350Z have a reputation for eating front tires in 8-10K miles? I believe there may be a Class-Action lawsuit in motion for the tire problem.

·
5,600 Posts
Sol-Brotha said:
Speaking of reputation, doesn't the 350Z have a reputation for eating front tires in 8-10K miles? I believe there may be a Class-Action lawsuit in motion for the tire problem.
This sounds familiar. I don't remember if this problem is characteristic of one particular model, or if all the Z's are doing this. Maybe it was just limited to the 1st model year. Hopefully someone here can enlighten us about this specific problem.

·
Registered
854 Posts
The G35 has a reputation for uncomfortable seats. Other than that I think its a great car.

Wait for the Turbo Sol, that will be a closer match to the Z if the Kappas stay close to the same weight.

·
4,592 Posts
Sol-Brotha said:
The MSMs have that problem with the rear tires, but, since it's self-induced, no law suits are pending :lol:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts