Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if any of you guys know why the sky is priced higher than the solstice. Typically I've always thought of saturn as being a less expensive line. And the engine is a 170 hp vs. 177? These are essentially the same platform aren't they.

Interestingly on the Saturn site they've got a pic of the female designer that has a huge fan club here!

Chris

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Our guess is Sky will have more base options (probably most) so in reality it will just be same as a loaded Solstice (24-25?) with different skin.

They are trying to take Saturn more upscale now ;)

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
There was a discussion over at the Sky forums recently about this. I did the math to show that a Sky base has the options to be equivilant to a $23,500 optioned out Solstice. Tag on Saturn upscale fee of maybe $500 and you've got a $24k car unless they also add more base options on too.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Almost makes one wonder if GM will jack up the Sky price since they know they'll sell all they can make. They can't increase the Solstice price, it's too high-profile, but since the Sky is a year away, they could add a little more content, maybe something unique so that the 2 models aren't comparable, and wring some more money out of those sales.

Or maybe not. :)

·
Registered
275 Posts
WaitingForBoost said:
Almost makes one wonder if GM will jack up the Sky price since they know they'll sell all they can make. They can't increase the Solstice price, it's too high-profile, but since the Sky is a year away, they could add a little more content, maybe something unique so that the 2 models aren't comparable, and wring some more money out of those sales.

Or maybe not. :)
maybe something like.... heated seats!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Once the hype dies down a bit I don't think it's going to be that huge a seller, look at all the build up for the crossfire, the gto, can't get them now discounted heavily. It might have a bit more staying power than the pt cruiser tho, remember how hot those cars were at first, now dealers can't give them away. I think GM's hit a home run with this car tho.

Chris

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
bullseye said:
It might have a bit more staying power than the pt cruiser tho, remember how hot those cars were at first, now dealers can't give them away. I think GM's hit a home run with this car tho.
Yeah but the PT Cruiser came out five years ago in model year 2001. And now just about all domestic cars are heavily discounted. They might be in the same boat with the 2010 Solstices and 2011 Skys.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Don't you guys get the feeling that the sky's front end is smiling at you? Although I do find it interesting that the GM employee discount commercials are featuring the sky and not the solstice.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
The Ford Mustang convertable will be a hot seller for quite along time. Ford did the retro thing just right, and they keep making it better. The PT CRUISER, GTO, CROSSFIRE, T-BIRD, and even the new 4 door Charger just doesn't hit me with excitement. The miata is so so.

But, if G.M. keeps the Solstice affordable to the average income buyers, and adds a little something every year to the car, it will be HOT! (for the money you get alot of potential for customizing.)

I haven't seen too many cars built after the early 70s that excite me.

The Monte Carlo SS and the Hurst Olds from the mid 80s were good looking, and the old shark style Vettes were nice

But, I just have a feeling if this car doesn't turn out to be another Vega,
It could save G.M.

Now if G.M. only came out with a retro 1970 Malibu SS
convertable to go head to head with the new Mustang. That would be another step in the right direction. Mitch :cool:

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I may be in a slightly different boat, but the $20k price point was a HUGE factor for me (while I didn't buy a bare-bones Sol, I didn't load it up either). With three kids, this is a phenominally impractical :willy: purchase for me. This will NOT be a daily driver.

A $25k base would probably tip the scales (at least for another 10 years ;) ).

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
bullseye said:
Once the hype dies down a bit I don't think it's going to be that huge a seller, look at all the build up for the crossfire, the gto, can't get them now discounted heavily. It might have a bit more staying power than the pt cruiser tho, remember how hot those cars were at first, now dealers can't give them away. I think GM's hit a home run with this car tho.

Chris
Don’t look now, but the GTO is actually becoming very difficult to get, and the discounts have all dried up on them. The 2004 model was somewhat of a bust in sales, as had tons left over at the end of the year and literally gave them away (I am still kicking myself for not buying one too).

Right now, sales are up over 80% from last year at this time. Supply of GTO’s is extremely low, and most that are still on the way for the 2005 model year have been spoken for. Sales have been so good, GM has removed the GTO from the employee price for everyone promotion, and also removed all low financing incentives. The goat has been turned around and is now a success for GM. Lutz should really highlight this in his blog, after all the bad press GM got about the car last year.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
Ff88, Is it because GM scale back production, I wonder if GTOJ or Small Dealer can give us a figure on how many GM has sold to date.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
LatinVenom said:
Ff88, Is it because GM scale back production, I wonder if GTOJ or Small Dealer can give us a figure on how many GM has sold to date.
You can get all of that information from media.gm.com.

Here are the sales values for June;
GTO (June 2005): 1,442
GTO (June 2004): 598

Here are the Year to Date values (Jan-Jun);
GTO (as of June 2005): 6,907
GTO (as of June 2004): 3,687

They sold a total of 13,569 GTOs for all of 2004. This includes all those extremely rebated cars at the end of the year 2004 to try to move them. So if they even just move the same number of GTO's in 2005 as in 2004 but do it without any incentives they've made a ton more profit off of them then. So far the GTO is selling well with next to no incentives on it. GM's even removing it from the Everyone gets Employee Discount plan extension for July 6th - August 1st.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
Thanks Brentil, but even if they sell 14K units for the entire year, those are very small numbers, Our SOL is 20K units and is consider a low volume car.
I would guess if they would have come out with a GTO that looked like the one posted on another thread, it would have double or triple this numbers.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
One of the big problems is that it's made in Australia, so they all have to be shipped over here. Holden also has to supply cars for the Australian and Euro market as well, and the issue is I'm not sure how fast Holden can make these cars since they probably weren't meant to be high volume car in the first place.

·
Registered
110 Posts
bullseye said:
Typically I've always thought of saturn as being a less expensive line. And the engine is a 170 hp vs. 177? These are essentially the same platform aren't they.

Chris
Having researched and than owned a Saturn once, I would say "less expensive" is not the best description.
I would chose "value for the buck" as a better description. I remember once having someone run into my car (my son) and all I had to do was push the panel back in place and buff it.
I wonder if the Sky will have plastic panels.
Anyhow, value for the buck is what was the clincher (for me) on the Sol.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Karen1506 said:
I wonder if the Sky will have plastic panels.
Nope...that's part of the changes at Saturn going "upscale"...no more plastic panels

1 - 17 of 17 Posts