• I like the Solstice better

Votes: 30 71.4%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After looking at the photos in the gallery of the Saturn Sky and the Pontiac Solstice, I have to say I like the looks of the Sky much better. The lines are clean, defined. The Solstice looks like a lozenge.

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
667 Posts
I know what your saying. In general terms based on pictures only I think I like the Sky better, but the two tone interior may kill the deal if it is not available in a mono color. I have always wondered if I would really like the front fascia of the Solstice when I see it in person? I will wait to vote until after the pictures are posted of the Solstice in Detroit. I must say though, it's GREAT to have this selection on an American platform at this price point!

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
I think the license plate will look better on the front of the sky. Maybe if I save real hard, I can have one of each??:crazy

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Chip, I think the front fascia on the Solstice looks a lot better in person than in pictures. I believe you will really like it in the flesh.

That said, the Sky looks very intriguing too! Since I have seen the Solstice in the flesh, its hard for me to pick the Sky on this one. I hope to see the Sky soon, and then I can certainly make an honest answer. But for now, I’ll stick with the Solstice, with the caveat that I may change my mind after seeing the Sky.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think GM may have actually made a smart decision (Gasp). It seems to come down to whether you want retro or modern.

The Sky looks very modern and like a mini version of the SLR.

To me, the Solstice invokes visions of the Jag racers of the mid 20th century.

It's no contest for me, it's the Solstice all the way. But then again, I have years of GM points waiting to be redeemed :)

I'm also going to assume the Sky has more standard content due to the memo stating it would come in around 25k?

·
Registered
667 Posts
I guess the big thing is can you wait another year for the Sky? In some ways it might be the best way to go. By this I mean that any problems found on the Solstice will be worked out and not a problem for the Sky. Maybe, just maybe, when the Sky comes on the market it will have the forced induction motor option many of us want. Let's just hope that Pontiac will spill the beans on forced induction when they do the press release in Detroit.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I don't know about the Saturn yet, we may have to get used to it. It kind of makes sense that this would be a halo car for Saturn, it has many design elements from other types of Halo cars like the C6 Corvette, Mazda Rx8, BMW Z4, Lexus, etc.. I was hoping for a minimalist two seater roadster. It has 10 different lights/lenses on the front end alone! Maybe if the Curve had some type of a V6 or a small V8, but the design doesn't make sense for having small four banger. Whats that stupid aluminum thing below the rear bumper anyway, that looks like it came right off an RX8.

The Solstice lost some of it's old world roadster qualities when they added the MR2 headlights but it still has pretty lines. The Saturn Curve was suppose to have Curves, it has some Curves but it's mostly sharp copied angles from other cars. Maybe it will look better in person. Maybe it needs all of the added angles and vents because the Soltice looks too stubby in real life?

·
Registered
141 Posts
I like the Solstice. I agree that the overall design is similar to some mid-50s Jags (C type, D type, XKSS) and is, I think, timeless. The Sky has too many creases and is too busy. The Solstice's design is dominated by curves, the Sky's by creases.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I am not sure the Solstice can be called retro. Its definitely styled more like a classic roadster in some of the elements used, and the overall smooth lines, but there really are not any elements of it that scream retro to me like on a T-bird or Mustang. I agree that it is a more timeless design.

The Sky is much more contemporary with the hard lines and creased. I think it does look extremely well, but I also think it runs more of a risk of being a flavor of the month sports car that sells well initially and peters out very quickly. Once the next month comes along, and the latest roadster is for sale, will it still look fresh or will it look dated? Hard to say right now since it is so fresh. However, I’d wager that in 10 years, it will certainly look more dated than the Solstice since its styling is much closer to contemporary design practices.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Solstice: has been described as timeless. I find this accurate, if not a bit cliche. Is it a '53 vetteish, or is it swoopy like a the old jags? Hard to place, as it does have a classic feel to the design. Bit of BMW Z3? I have a hard time placing the roots of the design in any definite decade.

Sky: except for the poor name choice, a very sexy sleek design. You can point to it and say, without a doubt, "Late 90's early 21st century design". Has elements of the Z4. Caddy. Opel speedster/vauxhall VX220, next gen mazdas to a certain extent (RX8 comes to mind). Angular. Trendy, even. Even the gauges, the interior, all have that very specific "current decade" feel to them, with a sense of specific "'80s" MR2/Fiero cues. Most definitely, though, the span is more specific, current, and trendy.

Amazing that simple styling can create two so very different flavors, flavors for which I belive there is market segment room, especially as we have a moment of silence for the Miata. :D

It's the difference, in my eye, between organic and mechanical. Between the Z3 and the Z4, between the Lotus Elise and Opel Speedster, or even between the Miata and the MR2 (even though made by diff companies, illustrates the point).

Organic will always have a "timeless" or "natural" feel. Mechanical will tend to represent the trend forces present at the time of the design inception. Think of the mechanical designs of the '50's with the rocket theme on everything - very specific. The Lotus Esprit of the 80's, very dated now but "mechanical" and "hot" at the time. The 80's MR2.

The late 20th/early21st century mechanical is represented in the Sky. It looks hot now, but my feeling is that in fifteen years, assuming there is some sort of Solstice/Sky pair at that time, the Solstice and it's decendents will not radically change so much as evolve. The Sky and it's decendents will undergo total revolutions (styling-wise) with each change in the "current time."

Look, even, at the mere 4 years and drastic design differences since the last Sky - at the time it represented the mechanical styling trend at the time ('99), and is DRASTICALLY different from what we see before us now as the Sky.

In 15 years (again, MHO), the Solstice will still retain it's beauty, where the Sky will seem to be a "quaint vision of the ought years of the 21st century".

I'm sticking with the Solstice. It was the car that grabbed me. Even after seeing the VX Lightning (which should be included here), and the Sky, I'm still stuck on it. The car that lit our imagination with the fire of Kappa.

I'd even venture that if the Sky were the design that started GM's "Roadster Return", we probably wouldn't be discussing the merits of any GM RWD 2-seat roadster.

The Solstice is the first. In some ways, to me, it will always be the best, and even after I've owned mine and sold it and turn really grey, it will likely always be remembered fondly to me long after it burned it's last drop of fuel with me behind the wheel.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I want a car people want to slide their hand across. I car they want to feel. One that looks sleek and smooth. The sky is cool but just to angular. It looks sportier, but not classier.

·
Registered
182 Posts
wow solsticeman, I completely agree with you, and after reading that I am not even going to try to express why I still prefer the solstice. Anyways I can't wait for the chicago auto show so I can see all of these cars in person.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I like the Sky with the Sol intirior. But the rear end needs to be lowered. I dont like the trunk that high. The rear end needs to be reshaped a bit. I think some small fender flares on the rear wheel arches and larger wheels will be awsome.

·
Registered
391 Posts
The LA auto show starts tomarrow:) I hope to see both the Sol and The Sky:)

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
solsticeman said:
I'd even venture that if the Sky were the design that started GM's "Roadster Return", we probably wouldn't be discussing the merits of any GM RWD 2-seat roadster.
I know that for me, if the Sky had come first, I would have given it a look but likely have bought a Miata and never been on a forum about it for 10 months! The Solstice is an example of what I was refering to in another thread as true car building. GM folks got together and said,"OK what kind of car do WE want." and built it. It shows that this is a car for enthusiasts, and later on they said "Ok, what else can we do with it to attract more buyers and voila! the Sky. I don't think it would have had as much success had they said to themselves "What do you think people buying other roadsters want, and how can we make this look cutting edge?" The latter example is what I think the Curve, 1st Sky, Bengal, and Velite are.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
AeroDave said:
I know that for me, if the Sky had come first, I would have given it a look but likely have bought a Miata and never been on a forum about it for 10 months!
I totally agree with this statement. I'd probably have a Miata right now too, possibly an MR2. The Sky is initially stunning to look at, and I think I really like it. However, I am not sure it is the kind of car I would wait years to buy.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Man an MR2? I cant even stand to look at those things, they are so ugly.
I wanted to drive one just to see what a 6 speed sequential gearbox feels like. But they kept telling me "they are hard to find and will take a while to get. Can we have your phone number?" I gave up on it. Looks like I aint the only one that thinks this way, they are a dead issue and there days are numbered.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
MITCH said:
Sky=camaro
Solstice=firebird

If I Wanted A Finished Version Of The Two.
Solstice Hands Down. Mitch
I'm not trying to argue with you, and I agree that I feel the Solstice is more refined than a Sky from a stylistic point of view, but IMO I would have switched the Firebird and Camero. So to me...

Soltice=Camero
Sky=Firebird

To me it seems that when ever GM wants to take a car "upscale" as in the case of the Firebird and Sky, they just add more visual stuff to an otherwise great design. Oh well, in this case, Solstice, Sky, Camero and Firebird are all pretty good IMO. (Particularly Solstice and the '71 Camero)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts