Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How is your car doing in regards to negotiating speed bumps? I have started to look around my local area (with the ownership of a Solstice/Sky in mind) and see that most all the malls and shoping areas have them placed like land mines. How do you deal with them, and more to the point how has your car's front spoiler fared as a result of passing over them?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have gone over about 30, ie subdivisions and roads around atlanta. I have yet to bottom out but I try and take them at angles so I minimize any chance of damage.

Steve

·
5,600 Posts
Post deleted. It was a political rant that doesn't belong on the forum.

Speedbumps still serve no useful purpose. People hope to achieve driving safety by imposing these barriers on drivers. The barriers can't insure people will slow down when going over them and certainly cannot insure people slow down in between speed bumps, which are often treated as something of a race between them. Crawl over speed bump, accelerate to insane speed on residential street, lock up brakes, crawl over speed bump, repeat...

Anway, I don't own a Sol and can't contribute to the knowledge inquired by the original posted question.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I have several on my street and they have not presented a great challenge. Controlled speed seems to be the answer

·
Registered
705 Posts
O.K., I measured one near where I work in a parking lot I frequent at lunch. 6.5", no kidding I measured it. No matter how slow I drive how do I get a car with 3.5 inches of clearance over a 6.5 inch bump? Don't see it happening. I also cross a nasty RR crossing on my way to work.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
Jimbo, thanks God for the NRA. Can you still say God in California?

http://www.nraila.org/News/Read/Releases.aspx?ID=6839

Back To Topic:
The Solstice doesn't appear to be any lower to the ground than other cars I've owned. I think speed bumps aren't going to be a special issue for the car. Just watch out for parking decks. I nearly took the front end off my Civic trying to recreate a scene from the Italian Job. I bet the Solstice could do it. :thumbs:

·
Registered
53 Posts
ignorant political rants are much worse for your health and happiness than the occasional speed bumps. Please keep that junk out of the Solstice forum

·
5,600 Posts
mobboss said:
ignorant political rants are much worse for your health and happiness than the occasional speed bumps. Please keep that junk out of the Solstice forum
While there is nothing ignorant about the 1st class education in lawlessness, tyranny and oppression I am receiving in San Francisco, you are right that they don't belong in a fun sports car forum, so I'll delete my stupid rant. I'm just stunned is all. It would be like a city voting that you have no right to vote. It's just illegal.

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
Eighteen inch wheels should give you four (ER, make that TWO :blush: ) more inches of clearance than similar cars with fourteen inch wheels, right?

I've had no problem going over them, actually seems better than with my Grand Prix.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
gizmo2004 said:
Eighteen inch wheels should give you four more inches of clearance than similar cars with fourteen inch wheels, right?

I've had no problem going over them, actually seems better than with my Grand Prix.

The Solstice has a deeper wheel well than older cars, so it's not quite the same thing.

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
But still, bottom line, the Solstice itself has 2 more inches of clearance with 18 inch tires than it would have had with 14 inch tires, right?

(Gotta edit my previous post for a STUPID error!) :)

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
gizmo2004 said:
But still, bottom line, the Solstice itself has 2 more inches of clearance with 18 inch tires than it would have had with 14 inch tires, right?

(Gotta edit my previous post for a STUPID error!) :)

Assuming that you also put smaller sized tires on it too, I guess so. Normally when you adjust wheel size, you leave the overall tire size the same.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Assuming that you also put smaller sized tires on it too, I guess so. Normally when you adjust wheel size, you leave the overall tire size the same.
Well, that all depends on what happens to the width and profile. Generally, except by chance, you can assume that a change in wheel size will result in a change in the diameter/circumference of the tire.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
gizmo2004 said:
Eighteen inch wheels should give you four (ER, make that TWO :blush: ) more inches of clearance than similar cars with fourteen inch wheels, right?
Well, most cars that come with 14" wheels would probably have 70 or 75 series tires by default. And that would make the difference in overall diameter a lot smaller. So the outer diameter for 14" tires could be very similar to the diameter of 17" or 18" low profile tires (like the Sol) . Here's an example ...

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=97

·
Registered
130 Posts
fat tires

O.K., I'm sure it's old school, but I really love a 15" rim with a big ol' fat tire on it. Now, I know it's 2005 and I gotta adapt. So the 18" rim on the Solstice looks a helava lot better than the roller skate wheels on the MR-5. And not to get political, but Stang, have you figured out where I can mount my .38 SW Airweight where it's not too obvious?

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What the hell?

Oh, so now it's a tire thread! :brentil: My bad... Why is it that some of you feel compelled to take very pointed questions / discussions off topic? Thanks very much to those of you that actually own a Solstice and can respond from experience rather than by conjecture. You others that feel this topic is more suitable for your rants may help us all out by starting your own thread and who knows... Maybe it will end up being about speed bumps. Then again maybe not.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
I have negotiated many speed bumps with my car and have had no problems. I reduce my speed to a reasonable rate and go for it. No problems, no rubs, no scrapes.

·
Registered
230 Posts
The driveway up to my garage is actually steeper then most speed bumbs. I have no problems at all, even going straight up it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts