Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went to have the oil changed in my 2006 N/A solstice today at stingray chevy.they had a 2004 base vette,65,000 miles,red/black int.i had to test drive it...way more power than the solstice,less rearward visibility if thats possible.i really liked it but noticed the starter seemed to drag on initial startup and the valves made a little noise for 3-4 seconds until they filled with oil.normal or really bad signs?what kind of MPG could i expect,and would my insurance and maintenance bills be sky high?im on the fence ,like the vette but not willing to feel like i made a huge mistake when gas goes up again.any advice?

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
I've had seven Vettes over my time and enjoy my Solstices more then them. Now all my Vettes were older (69 being newest) but my GXPs handle better and are faster then any vette I've had. I know the new ones are faster but I'm not sure about an 04. The thing is that Vettes are all over the place and not unique like the kappas. But the real thing is get what you like. I know the newer Vettes get better mileage then our kappas. Good luck

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
I have had three Vettes, would take my 67 over just about anything on the road. And that includes my yellow Sky. Greatest days of my life, baddest car around, total chick magnet back then. The other two a 71 and a 73, not so much. The Solstice is different, not on every corner, and going to be less of them every single day. I would guess about 30 a month go away from following the one Salvage Sale site I watch. Could be far more.

Plus you know what you have by now. The Vette is older and has a hot rod image, our Kappas don't have that image and in some regards that is a good thing. You have a unique car, the Vette 50 years ago was, now you see them on damned near every corner, even in Kansas. If your Sol is in good working condition, looks like new, I would keep it, now a new twin super charged yellow and black Vette, I could be talked into that. But the 2000 body styles all looked the same to me, at least what I remember of them. I seldom even look at them any more.

Heck we went to a Vette sponsored show, our Sky won the 2000-2010 class at a Vette show in SoCal. That should tell you something.

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
Well lets see my 2015 Stingray Z51 gets a few more looks and thumbs up than my 2007 GXP.

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
Give it another 10 years and check.

I know I love the new look for sure, but my dealer ship has three of them setting on the show room floor, a twin turbo charged one I think it is, carbon fiber everywhere!!! Love it.

In 1967 when I bought my Coupe 427/435HP Tri Power, top of the line, there was one other one in Denver that my dealer located in three days. 500 miles away. I never saw another one for two years. I was living in Kansas City. Would love to have it back and would take it over any of the new ones, but of course now it is worth a lot more than any of the new ones. DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB, can never say that word enough about trading that car. Red on Red, black hood stripe, cowl induction, AC, power windows, PS, Tilt/telescopic Steering wheel, the only thing it did not have were the Lake/side pipes. No choice in the matter.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
im thinking i will probably stay with my solstice.being N/A when i get the urge to do something stupid with the gas pedal it takes a few more seconds to become epic stupid,that vette was a nice looking car IMO,and quite fast.epic stupid could be reached right away.also wondering if the slight starter drag and lifter noise were indicators of real problems or the result of sitting on dealers lot and not being driven or started for awhile.this is a large dealer.im thinking they had over 75 new and used vettes and i dont even want to think how many camaros of every type,even two new COPOs with turbos and wheelie bars.is 19k for a 2004 with 65,000 miles an average deal?paint was good,no rips,tears,or wear on upholstery.

·
Registered
2007 Solstice GXP
258 Posts
My buddy just got an '04 C6 vert with 35k for $25k. Right after he bought it though, he wished he got an '05+ to get away from the 4spd to 6spd auto. Compared to a '06 Solstice its quick, but its really not that fast stock. Theres enough tire there to keep you out of trouble and the traction control is very aggressive like the Solstice. Even with all seasons you barely spin the tires when its warm in 1st gear(A4). I would think a tuned GXP would pull with it. I pull trains on it with my efr.

After driving his car a bit, I realized very quickly if I could afford a low mileage C6, I would dive in. I really like modding and it would be fun to start at 400hp instead of 260.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
im not wanting to spin tires.if youre spinn you aint winnin,and those rubber donuts are expensive...with my old hot rod id leave feathering the throttle and get on it hard about halfway through first.it would chirp going into 2nd (3 speed auto modded to shift hard)it might be better if i stay away from vettes,i have a checkered past with 400 hp cars.i like to hear the 4 barrel open up and the headers roar too much...

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
I do not buy cars because they are not that many on the road, but because I like what I see and how it drives.
No one knows what the future will bring, there many 30 years and older cars that are not worth their original price, enjoy it for why you bought it, the rest well time will tell.

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
My meaning was in 10 years, knowing GM they will not have changed the design, and there will be many to see. The new style will become the norm.

If I had bought my 67 to keep, I would still have it, is my guess. Just decided to trade it for a new Chevelle. I had wanted a 63 Vette, but was still in high school. In honesty I was hooked on the Stingray design instantly. 68 really started the decline for me, enjoyed the 71, but really did not like the 73 at all. Got rid of it and bought a Shag wagon. The things we do when we are young.

Someone made a comment on here not to long ago, about anyone can own a Vette, but you have to work to get a Kappa. Not there yet, but the way the Solstice guys are wrecking them, not going too be many around. I honestly would not want one, prior to 2014. Never really cared much for the look, nice car. There are things about the new ones that I really like, but think they could have done a better job on the back end of them. I like the supercharged one they have at the dealership, but it is all black. Does away with some of the jumble in the back for me. Don't get me wrong, if they were giving away 2014 to 2016 Vettes, I would be first in line. No question I would enjoy one. Would I go out of my way to buy one earlier, not a chance.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i liked the looks and power of the 2004 and up cars but really dont need to have the temptation of that much power,higher insurance,gas,etc.it really reminded me of a bigger more powerful solstice in a lot of ways.being that mines paid for and running well i think im better off to keep her.eventually i will fix the rock chips in the front but other than a repaint in the future it looks pretty good.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts