Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I've been considering adding a rally strip to my Cool paint job. Here's a rough CG'd sample I put togethor. Let me know what you all think. (And be nice, I literally did this in 5 minutes! ;) ). Is there another color you think would look good?

Also, has anyone done a paint customization like this before? Does the painter simply mask the rest of the car and paint the black stripe? Is there a difference between the two paint layers? Or does the clear coat on top of both paint colors mask it?

Since I can't afford Foose I'll need to be as informed as possible.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Paint, sure, but Vinyl works just as well, and is used by manufacturers...

Actually stripes can be applied as a vinyl appliqué (sticker if you will) by a competent graphics installer. In point of fact, there's a long tradition of vinyl being used by manufacturers--especially Pontiac! Their Firebird cars in Trans Am trim sported a large image of a firebird (often called a screaming chicken) on the hood.

There's a racing graphics firm that I've been working with, http://squierdesign.com/

Michael does excellent work, and his prices are really hard to beat.

You'll find the stripes here: http://squierdesign.com/stripes.html

You can get virtually any color you want, even a semi metallic silver. Some examples of the basic stripe patterns are:

An actual picture of a car with a set of stripes on it is here:

He also does custom work, so he can make your stripe any width you want, and even make it curvy like this:

I got my racing numbers for my Saturn from him, and I am more than pleased with the quality, materials and workmanship.

Check his shop out.

Oh, by the way, they also can ship via United States Postal Service Priority Mail, so you don't have to hassle with the United Package Smashers.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm...Vinyl

Thanks Crimson Avenger :thumbs: . Very interesting. Is that something you apply yourself or should a paint shop put them on? Would it require a layer of clear coat be added to the whole car or do they look fine on their own?

Great link, too. Your friend's vinyl offerings look good! I really appreciate it. ;)

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Yup, you can install yourself, but pros can too.

sol_nice said:
Thanks Crimson Avenger :thumbs: . Very interesting. Is that something you apply yourself or should a paint shop put them on? Would it require a layer of clear coat be added to the whole car or do they look fine on their own?

Great link, too. Your friend's vinyl offerings look good! I really appreciate it. ;)
He's not really a friend, I found his firm on the Internet, and I'm a satisfied customer, so I thought I'd share.

Yes, you can put them on yourself, but it's pretty tricky stuff. Michael's got some tips for installing them on his site at: http://squierdesign.com/tips.html and http://squierdesign.com/instructions.html.

Basically, for adhesive vinyl, you will want to wax the car before you apply them, and the cleaner the surface the better. Windex is an excellent material to use. I've found that the more expensive paper dinner napkins tend to be virtually free of dust and lint, and are much cheaper than Kaydry or Kim-wipes both from KimberlyClark. You don't want to try to use the napkin until it's soggy and all used up, but a few swipes and a fresh napkin is a good pattern.

The wet application technique works VERY well. I used it for my transparent backed static cling numbers, and got almost ZERO air bubbles. When I tried it using the dry method, I couldn't get it to lay down without air. It looked like a refugee from a shirnky-dink oven. ;) But the wet application produced a placement that was so transparent and free of bubbles that you had to be closer than 4 feet to see that they were not painted on. Even then you could just barely see the edge of the vinyl.

You could order a small static cling piece from Michael's overstock bin and try it out to practice the technique before you break out the adhesive stripe. I'd start with the trunk pieces first.

Really, though, professional installers can help a lot for large graphics like stripes. But they have to learn too, so I think you could do it yourself, but for big stuff like this, on such a pretty car, maybe it's best to let the pros have at.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
On our Ohio cruise on Sunday, we saw an AC Cobra. It was blue with the double white stripe. I think a Solstice with a double stripe would be a perfect marriage. If it looks good on a Cobra, it will look good on a Solstice.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Custom job!

The graphics place by me can take a photo of any item or design and recreate it on graphics to apply. Big with the racer set. :cool:

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
brentil said:
I liked the double striped picture 2523. I agree with Ex-Miata man - if the cobra looks good with it, the Sol will too. I wonder if that is why I like this car so much? I love the cobra and I never thought about how simiar they are.

BTW Sol_nice. You think you can photoshop a Pure/Sand-steel/double black stripe? (or anyone else?) Heck, I have not even see a decent picture of a pure with sand/steel. I would be greatly appreciated. My 86 Must GT conv had a charcoal stripe down the hood. (Sticker actually, but it looked good IMHO)

Thanks - KYSol

·
Registered
527 Posts
As far as color, I like the black on grey, but I would use the same silver that is on the windshield for pinstripes seperating the black and grey.

·
Registered
575 Posts
rally stripes

just wondering -- in most cases, are the rally stripes actually painted on or are they some sort of decal. I don't mean like a decal you can buy at Pep Boys -- a professionally done/applied decal??

I really liked the SEMA SSB Pure Solstice with the blue rally stripes. I have a Deep blue and wonder what it would look like with a white rally.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Mostly decals I think. I personally would not try to do them myself because I think that would be a job worthy of a professional. I would hate to get this REALLY sticky stripe 1/2 way on my new car and screw it up. You could probably get away with that in Tennessee, but we have standards here in KY! BTW, where do you recommend we put the NASCAR number? :lol:

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
If you get yourself a roll of vynil you could do it yourself with a bit of prectice.
Best thing about vynil is that it comes off with a hairdryer

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
You apply the stripes the same way you put the frosted window film on a window at your house. Clean the car panel very good. Spray the area with a solution of water with lots of dishwashing detergent in it. It will actually make a very slippery liquid. Place the cut vinyl on the water/soap mix and slide into around into place. MAKE CERTAIN THERE IS SOAPY WATER UNDER ALL OF The VINYL. If you don't it will stick immediately and you will ruin the vinyl. Use a squeegee to push the liquid and the air bubbles out from under the vinyl. GET ALL OF THE BUBBLES OUT NOW! Once the liquid and the air bubbles have been worked out (start at on end and work across) the vinyl will not tend to move. Gently wash the vinyl down to get off any excess soap. After the panel has dried for about 24 hours you can wash it without having to worry about it moving around. Once it is dry it's fairly resistant to peeling or lifting. It can be done as a do-it-yourself project if you are very careful. I would suggest trying on something other than your Solstice for your first try.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Strips

Believe I might consider doing this. Would really like a pre cut kit though. Have done it on other vehicles where I had to do all the designing, cutting and installation. Don't really want to do it all again but a pre cut kit would be great and I enjoy the installation bit.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As seen on SolsticeForum.com

Solactor,
I had the same question. I started a thread at
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7471

I've gotten some great feedback (including a link for buying pre-cut vinyl stripes).

Let me know if any of you add stripes. Post a photo and give us a report on the process!

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Chuck said:
Believe I might consider doing this. Would really like a pre cut kit though. Have done it on other vehicles where I had to do all the designing, cutting and installation. Don't really want to do it all again but a pre cut kit would be great and I enjoy the installation bit.
Well Rally stripes are just ... stripes ... :) Just buy a roll of vynil.. at most a roll is about a foot wide.

·
Registered
705 Posts
SlipSlider said:
Well Rally stripes are just ... stripes ... :) Just buy a roll of vynil.. at most a roll is about a foot wide.
Assuming you don't want the stripe going over the back of the car. No way a 1ft wide piece of vinyl is going to lay nice on the twin 'bumps'!

I was planning on leaving my car dead stock, though I gotta admit I have been thinking of painting dual stripes from the front grills to the rear. Can't say I'm convinced I will do it but the temptation is there.

Solactor: Deep Blue with white stripes? I think that would be a very nice combo!

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I bet a pro charges you maybe $150 + materials. We could call around and ask.

Striping kit for your car $300.... Having it look professional, priceless.

Good luck with the striping and let us know how it turns out.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
KYSol said:
I bet a pro charges you maybe $150 + materials. We could call around and ask.

Striping kit for your car $300.... Having it look professional, priceless.

Good luck with the striping and let us know how it turns out.
Check with your dealer. They probably have someone in the area freelance pinstriping that also can do the wider stripes. I know my dealer has someone that stops in from time to time - usually teh week before you decide to buy that car or truck that has been on the lot a month too long. Happened to me more than once, on an S10 and a Sunfire. I would rather had them plain but left them on. Actually as far as pinstripes some are applied as paint and the real pros do it freehand.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Ex-Miata Man said:
You apply the stripes the same way you put the frosted window film on a window at your house...
I've never wanted stripes - but really appreciate your explanation of the process. Thanks :thumbs:

Actually sounds like a cool project. Wonder what my wife would think of a pair of racing stripes on the trailblazer :glol:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts