Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay the information about what the car weight has been answered. The 2860 lb weight is a fully equipment Solstice, add Monsoon and you are looking at 2880 lbs. The heaviest option on the car is the A/C, coming in around 60 lbs. So, for you performance gearheads like myself a base Solstice with no options (cloth seats) should hit the scales under 2790 lbs or less.

Now, if really want to run with the S2000 crowd then remove the top for another 60 lbs. Buy the Carbon Fiber hood and trunk cover (aftermarket in the works) to shave another 125 lbs! There is some other weight that can be shaved inside the body panels too. All in all, you should have no problem getting the car under 2600 and maybe, just maybe close to 2500 lb mark. If you decide to remove the top then opt for the tonneau cover for weather protection.

With the Solstice running 0-60 in 7.0 seconds (quoted from Mr. Lutz) a 2500 lb Solstice with stock engine should get down to low 6 seconds. Add intake, upgraded exhaust and you could possibly break 6 seconds!

·
Registered
905 Posts
Sweet, so mine should be around 2820lb since I didn't get A/C but I did get the Monsoon.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Thanks Terp, that's great info.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Yes, nice investigative reporting. Now if I could only loose that extra 30 lbs myself.....that's the tough part.

By the way everyone, if you're street racing just remember to only put in 2 or 3 gallons at a time. I'm not sure the exact weight, so don't thrash me, but I'd guess 1 gallon of gas weighs about 10 lbs, give or take a few. You put in 10 gallons and you just added 100 lbs. My Dad taught me this from his old days on Woodward Ave in Detroit.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Bonzo said:
Yes, nice investigative reporting. Now if I could only loose that extra 30 lbs myself.....that's the tough part.

By the way everyone, if you're street racing just remember to only put in 2 or 3 gallons at a time. I'm not sure the exact weight, so don't thrash me, but I'd guess 1 gallon of gas weighs about 10 lbs, give or take a few. You put in 10 gallons and you just added 100 lbs. My Dad taught me this from his old days on Woodward Ave in Detroit.
FYI Gas weighs approximatly 6.25 pounds per gallon..

·
Read Only
3,468 Posts
Fortimir said:
Gas is lighter than water, eh?
Less dense. :yesnod:

--Chemist (often, _more_ dense)

BTW, I had a chem education conference at the University of Waterloo a few years back. My highlight of the week was passing by one of the engineering buildings and seeing the alternative fuel car advertised as running on ...

Prop-'eh'-ne . :lol:

I laughed until I stopped! ;)

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Fortimir said:
Gas is lighter than water, eh?
yep try it yourself take a cup of water and put a little gas in it , (don;t use platstic or styrafoam...)the gas will float to the top....
Gas is less dense than water therefore gas is lighter than water...

·
Registered
767 Posts
Classic66vair said:
yep try it yourself take a cup of water and put a little gas in it , (don;t use platstic or styrafoam...)the gas will float to the top....
Oil is lighter than water, also. Just because its thicker doesn't mean it weighs more.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Classic66vair said:

Exactly, this why you should not run you gas tank near empty as the water and containmants collect on the bottom. Your fuel pump can start sucking up these nasties into you pump and engine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
TerpFan said:
Okay the information about what the car weight has been answered. The 2860 lb weight is a fully equipment Solstice, add Monsoon and you are looking at 2880 lbs. The heaviest option on the car is the A/C, coming in around 60 lbs. So, for you performance gearheads like myself a base Solstice with no options (cloth seats) should hit the scales under 2790 lbs or less.

Now, if really want to run with the S2000 crowd then remove the top for another 60 lbs. Buy the Carbon Fiber hood and trunk cover (aftermarket in the works) to shave another 125 lbs! There is some other weight that can be shaved inside the body panels too. All in all, you should have no problem getting the car under 2600 and maybe, just maybe close to 2500 lb mark. If you decide to remove the top then opt for the tonneau cover for weather protection.

With the Solstice running 0-60 in 7.0 seconds (quoted from Mr. Lutz) a 2500 lb Solstice with stock engine should get down to low 6 seconds. Add intake, upgraded exhaust and you could possibly break 6 seconds!
The documented 0-60 times for an S2000 in several car magazines range from as little as 5.2 sec to 5.8 sec. The generally accepted time is 5.6 sec. and 1/4 mile times range from 13.8 sec. to 14.3 sec. Generally accepted 1/4 mile time is [email protected] mph. Like the Solstice, the S2000 is not a car that really shines going 0-60 or through the 1.4 mile.

I recently weighed my car during a Roebling Road track day, and with 2/3rds of a tank of gas, the car weighed right at 2800 lbs (w/o driver). Not only that but the weight distribution was nearly perfect front to back AND side to side. Each wheel had nearly 700 lbs evenly distributed to each corner. Honda spec. curb weight for the 2002 S2000 is 2809 lbs. My car is 100% stock which includes all the standard equipment, A/C, power windows, power door locks, power top, ABS, LSD, spare tire, etc.

My point is I seriously doubt your going to see a stock Solstice 0-60 time below six seconds, it just doesn't have the power/weight ratio needed. It will need the extra HP of a turbo or S/C like what we'll see on the GTP version.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would ask what your source is?

If you refer to this GM document, you will see that GM specifically states that 2860lbs. is for the BASE model Solstice (ie no A/C.)

http://media.gm.com/us/pontiac/en/product_services/r_cars/r_c_solstice/index.html

Curb weight, base (lb / kg):

2860 / 1297
Why would GM list a curb weight of 2860 if that was for the heaviest model? You'd think they would want to advertise a more favorable weight (sorta like what they are doing with the $19,995 base price.)

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Maxximtl said:
I would ask what your source is?

If you refer to this GM document, you will see that GM specifically states that 2860lbs. is for the BASE model Solstice (ie no A/C.)

http://media.gm.com/us/pontiac/en/product_services/r_cars/r_c_solstice/index.html

Why would GM list a curb weight of 2860 if that was for the heaviest model? You'd think they would want to advertise a more favorable weight (sorta like what they are doing with the $19,995 base price.)
Officially, there is only one model for the Solstice. The fact that AC is optional has no bearing on the vehicle called a "tracking vehicle". This particular vehicle, for each "model" (I think the only model at this time is considered 2MB67, IIRC) has to follow EPA rules for options. AC MUST be included if available. If an automatic transmission is available, that MUST be included too. So must any option that has a penetration past a certain percentage (I can't recall if it's 20%, 50% or what it is...).

In order to report a model of the Solstice at the "stripped" weight, they would have had to have a specific model that came with NO options. Then you would have seen two models with two different curb weights.

I tried explaining this before, but I lost where I posted this, or I may have lost connection and just didn't finish my reply. That's why I was pretty sure there had to be a decent level of options on the reported 2860 weight.

I hope this makes sense. That's why you see several models for the Mazda MX5 - lets them report different weights due to limitations in the options. There is something that I remember about being able to quote a manual-transmission equipped weight in addition to the automatic trans equipped, if they offer it, but I don't recall specifics about it.

I think Terp's information (correct me if I'm wrong here) came from him talking with the engineers at dinner - so I'd suspect that the info is correct.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I believe Solsticemans estimate of 6.5 seconds for 0-60 with a 2500 lb Solstice is a little conservative. With proper gearing and maybe a clutch/flywheel upgrade could get you in the high 5's.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
solsticeman said:
has to follow EPA rules for options. AC MUST be included if available. If an automatic transmission is available, that MUST be included too.
Not sure what the EPA has to do with curb weight but...

NHTSA categorizes vehicles by vehicle class and "curb" weight. Curb weight represents the weight of a vehicle with standard equipment including the maximum capacity of fuel, oil, coolant, and air conditioning, if so equipped.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
TerpFan said:
I believe Solsticemans estimate of 6.5 seconds for 0-60 with a 2500 lb Solstice is a little conservative. With proper gearing and maybe a clutch/flywheel upgrade could get you in the high 5's.
Still have yet to see a significantly lower 0-60 (as measured from a 1/4 mile run) than the estimate of CURB WEIGHT (LBS) / PEAK ENGINE HP * 0.45

45% of the curb weight to power ratio is a good estimate of 0-60 times, regardless of gearing or clutch/flywheels, etc. In fact, the lower your 0-60, the worse the percentage adjustment of the curbweight to power ratio gets.

Gearing plays into it, but found out only adds a tenth or two if you have a shift in the mix (i.e. redline for 2nd gear is only 57 mph).

The Ford GT's 0-60 of high 3-seconds depends on a 1st gear redline of over 60 mph.

If you know of many exceptions, please post them. I've found more exceptions the OTHER direction, though. (estimate 0-60 of 7.1 seconds, actually measure 7.5).

1 - 20 of 47 Posts