Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,060 Posts
Its not a rendering, its a photo. And that's not a removable top, its the Coupe Concept. Why they put that picture in there I don't know, the coupe doesn't even exist and it has nothing to do with a hard top for the roadster.

Plus this is old news that was from last week, check out the other hard top threads and you'll already see this info posted. In fact, look 3 & 4 threads below this one to find the original and an already locked dup thread... :yawn:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
397 Posts
I knew they'd need a hardtop as soon as the Sol was announced, GM couldn't pass up racing it and to race it you need a hardtop. If they want to get this on the track in 2006, they better HURRY with that hardtop, it needs to be a regular production option that is available to EVERYONE for it to be legal.

Oh I want to switch to SSB racing!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,206 Posts
SCCA HP Racer said:
I knew they'd need a hardtop as soon as the Sol was announced, GM couldn't pass up racing it and to race it you need a hardtop. If they want to get this on the track in 2006, they better HURRY with that hardtop, it needs to be a regular production option that is available to EVERYONE for it to be legal.

Oh I want to switch to SSB racing!!
Just looking at the SCCA club racing rules - it appears the option needs to be available to the public on or before March 1 of the year in which it is to be raced.

I suppose there is something they could do similar to the Viper SRT-10, and specify a particular after-market hardtop - so long as it is available to everyone (to avoid the Z4 debacle).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
397 Posts
Yeah they should use the Z4 issue as a lesson (I didn't think anyone here would know about it).

I don't really see why that rule needs to be there...they should be able to run with no top. The increased drag of no top may offset the lower CG (weight would still have to be at or below minimum). The cars have to run a cage anyway so why the hardtop requirement?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,248 Posts
Watch the Novermber SEMA show

The Fast Lane interview with Clay Dean indicated that not only were they interested in racing, but that we should watch for the parts available at the SEMA show.

If there is an aftermarket top available before March, then SCCA may let us run the car. For other clubs, the rules may only require the existence of the top, and that will mean rear wheel drive track days for my Solstice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,509 Posts
Crimson Avenger said:
For other clubs, the rules may only require the existence of the top, and that will mean rear wheel drive track days for my Solstice.
Hardtops are rarely (if ever?) required for just track days. The hardtop is only for SCCA Showroom Stock. The biggest hurdle for track days is going to be a SCCA legal roll bar at can be installed without having to hack up the car.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,210 Posts
Autoweek also listed a new summary on this dated 5/30 as well.

Sunny side up?

In an effort to qualify for Sports Car Club of America events, Pontiac plans to produce a removable hardtop version of the Solstice roadster, our sister paper Automotive News reports.A photo of the car, revealed recently at the Society of Automotive Engineers’ World Congress in Detroit, identified it as the 2007 Solstice GT. A Pontiac spokesman confirmed that the car is under study.The car would provide Pontiac with an entry in SCCA Stock-B-class races against the Mazda Miata, or in Grand-Am Cup ST-class events vs. the BMW 330 and Mazda RX-8.The 2006 Solstice roadster goes into production late this summer, followed by the 2007 Saturn Sky next spring. The GT would presumably follow that.
http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=102458
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,206 Posts
SCCA HP Racer said:
Yeah they should use the Z4 issue as a lesson (I didn't think anyone here would know about it).

I don't really see why that rule needs to be there...they should be able to run with no top. The increased drag of no top may offset the lower CG (weight would still have to be at or below minimum). The cars have to run a cage anyway so why the hardtop requirement?
It was in one of my Sportscar mags - in the protests and hearing section.

I understand a hardtop is needed for the additional protection it offers in keeping appendages inside the car at all times under all the conditions. Most wheel-to-wheel races require arm restraints if you run a 'vert sans top and roll cage.

Supposedly, it is possible for your arms/hands to potentially penetrate fabric and end up outside the cage if you get into a bad situation (like a roll or tumble). Having a hardtop affixed lowers the chances of this happening. Combined with window net requirements, it all adds up to better safety.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
I love how there is still no concrete evidence that the 2007 will have a SC/TC :( would make the long wait I have to endure worthwhile
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,691 Posts
solsticeman said:
It was in one of my Sportscar mags - in the protests and hearing section.

I understand a hardtop is needed for the additional protection it offers in keeping appendages inside the car at all times under all the conditions. Most wheel-to-wheel races require arm restraints if you run a 'vert sans top and roll cage.

Supposedly, it is possible for your arms/hands to potentially penetrate fabric and end up outside the cage if you get into a bad situation (like a roll or tumble). Having a hardtop affixed lowers the chances of this happening. Combined with window net requirements, it all adds up to better safety.
Then here's my dumb question for the day. How does Indy, CART, get away with no top? And what about vintage racing Datsun 1600 or Jaguar D? Or does this just mean that the SCCA is 100% against open-top racing? What about Factory5 spec racers, how do they fit? See I said it was a dumb question.
 

·
Mod Emeritus
Joined
·
7,468 Posts
DLD84 said:
I love how there is still no concrete evidence that the 2007 will have a SC/TC :( would make the long wait I have to endure worthwhile
:yesnod: Yeah, GM has been especially hushed about this. The magazines seem to indicate it is on the horizon, but the timeframe has been different depending on what source you read. Hopefully, they are ready to go next fall when they start up with the 2007 MY vehicles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
397 Posts
Yeah my Spitfire has no top or windshield and there are lots of open top cars racing. All open cars require arm restraints which attach your forearms to your racing belts. I still can't figure out the reason, I'll have to ask someone this weekend at Mid Ohio.

Here's a quick list of open top cars:

E-H Production (cars that came as verts)
All formula cars
SRF
GT cars (cars that came as verts)
CSR
DSR
S2000

It would actually be easier to list the cars with tops.
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,206 Posts
For the non-racers out there,
when SCCA HP Racer mentions S2000, he means a class called "sports 2000", not the Honda roadster.



Notice, none of those classes are Showroom Stock. All showroom stock cars, without exception, are either traditional hardtops or must have a removable hardtop bolted on.

I'm just going by what one of the SCCA stewards told me one time when I asked about it - and the rules are pretty clear: The Z4, Miata both require removable hardtop bolted on and convertible top may be removed. I can't imagine SCCA would allow an exception for the Solstice - but who knows, maybe they will?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
397 Posts
No they won't make an exception, and you are correct that all SS or Touring cars are closed top. I'll ask around about the reasoning behind that rule.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
496 Posts
hardtop

I wonder how easy it will be to get access to the trunk with the removable hardtop installed?
Will probably require the soft top to be retracted inside the trunk and leave very little room for bags and clubs etc.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,206 Posts
It depends on how the removeable hardtop is executed.

If it is like the T-bird, good luck. Extra weight, extra bulk, fits over the top of the 'vert top...


If it is done intelligently, they will have you remove the 'vert top, and the removeable hardtop would be stowable in the trunk with no tools and in about 5 minutes - with room for roll bar/roll cage when it is up.

If it is mediochre-engineered, they'll try to be all things to all people - the removeable hardtop will require you to stow your 'vert, AND it will be installed in place of the 'vert. A sort of have-no-cake-and-starve-too method :lol:

I'm sure there is a combination or two I'm forgetting.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top