Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
no, im not saying i saw one of trucks flipped over. your heart can start beating again.

i was just thinking... with all the ride and drive events, as well as the road tests and the preproduction cars out there: i wonder if any sols already took a hit or damage. anyone know of anything? id hate to see it happen, but i love to see the outcome and how well the sol will hold up to an impact.

·
Registered
383 Posts
swatthefly said:
no, im not saying i saw one of trucks flipped over. your heart can start beating again.

i was just thinking... with all the ride and drive events, as well as the road tests and the preproduction cars out there: i wonder if any sols already took a hit or damage. anyone know of anything? id hate to see it happen, but i love to see the outcome and how well the sol will hold up to an impact.
Hopefully, if I ever have an accident, it will total it out so I can get a new Sol. Maybe by then, the GXP will be out. :leaving:

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
swatthefly said:

If a wreck did happen, at least it wouldn't be a great loss since those pre-production Sol's would be destined for a crusher anyway. Nobody waiting in line would have to wait longer.

Hopefully there is no transportation mishaps for the EOP cars, or the regular production cars. Earlier this summer, a train derailment totalled out a number of GTO's on their way to dealers! :eek:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Spoke to my sales guy yesterday about the Ride and Drive he went to here (Minneapolis). He said they were coming off of the freeway and passed a little red sports car. The guy in the sports car was so busy looking at the Sol he rear ended the car in front of him! Nobody was hurt and no Sols were damaged luckily...

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
WaitingForBoost said:
Have we seen any crash test results, yet? I don't recall any, but it would certainly be interesting to see.
Nothing so far...

I would expect a 4-5 star rating on this car. Hardly any new vehicle scores under 4 in government head on testing these days, and this one appears to be fairly well constructed underneath with the two end to end chassis frame rails.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
WaitingForBoost said:
Have we seen any crash test results, yet? I don't recall any, but it would certainly be interesting to see.
When you drive a small convertible sports car, I don't think safety is at the top of your agenda :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Solstice wrecks

While in Detroit during July I cruised by the tech center, there was a cool Solstice behind a fence that had been crushed at both ends. Cockpit was intact. later saw a second cool Solstice that had left front damage, minor scrape to plastic bumper cap. Looked very repairable.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bigjon said:
While in Detroit during July I cruised by the tech center, there was a cool Solstice behind a fence that had been crushed at both ends. Cockpit was intact. later saw a second cool Solstice that had left front damage, minor scrape to plastic bumper cap. Looked very repairable.
did the damage look intentional? (machine caused) or was it too hard to tell?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
WaitingForBoost said:
i would expect a 5 on the front and a 4-5 on the side. the rollover rating should be top notch too!

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
swatthefly said:
i would expect a 5 on the front and a 4-5 on the side. the rollover rating should be top notch too!
Those numbers would hopefully give us respectable rates, eh? (Cnadian roots coming through)

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Editguy said:
When you drive a small convertible sports car, I don't think safety is at the top of your agenda :)
No, but it certainly helps earn selling points. Not to buyers per se, but...

The only reason my parents are up in the air about this whole thing is they think I'll kill myself. Certainly a good crash rating will help ease their minds. I keep trying to tell them all sorts of stuff like 'It's not nearly as small as a Miata' and 'It's lower and wider so there's no way I'll spin off the road or flip it' ...which then gets them more upset because they think when I say lower I must mean smaller and that Semis won't see me and run me over. Another of my arguing points is that it has airbags and my current car doesn't! Another: "Now certainly a BRAND NEW car with airbags and everything is going to be WAY safer than my 15 year old beat up rattle-trap 240." My father understands that I'm 'probably' right. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
dori-san said:
No, but it certainly helps earn selling points. Not to buyers per se, but...

The only reason my parents are up in the air about this whole thing is they think I'll kill myself. Certainly a good crash rating will help ease their minds. I keep trying to tell them all sorts of stuff like 'It's not nearly as small as a Miata' and 'It's lower and wider so there's no way I'll spin off the road or flip it' ...which then gets them more upset because they think when I say lower I must mean smaller and that Semis won't see me and run me over. Another of my arguing points is that it has airbags and my current car doesn't! Another: "Now certainly a BRAND NEW car with airbags and everything is going to be WAY safer than my 15 year old beat up rattle-trap 240." My father understands that I'm 'probably' right. :rolleyes:
Nah, I was joking. I think it's important to ahve good crash ratings. On the other hand, I would buy it anyway.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Wailing Phoenix said:
I am sure you have never been in a head on collision . . . . :rolleyes:
Um,see my post directly above yours! And Ihave been in a head-on. And even though I was joking, I do believe that if your safety is your primary concern, you would never consider a vehicle like this, or a convertiblewithout a rollbar.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Editguy said:
Um,see my post directly above yours! And Ihave been in a head-on. And even though I was joking, I do believe that if your safety is your primary concern, you would never consider a vehicle like this, or a convertiblewithout a rollbar.
Then we have one more thing in common ;) :cool: actually two . . . :devil:

·
Registered
8 Posts
csciguy said:
Spoke to my sales guy yesterday about the Ride and Drive he went to here (Minneapolis). He said they were coming off of the freeway and passed a little red sports car. The guy in the sports car was so busy looking at the Sol he rear ended the car in front of him! Nobody was hurt and no Sols were damaged luckily...
Yes, he hit the truck doing about 40, rubbernecked past 9 Sol's never hit the middle pedal KHABOOM one smaller red sports car. He was aressted for no Insurance. On the brighter side of this, at least he's in the market for a new car... ;)

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
dori-san said:
My father and I restored a '68 Firebird Convertible... and my parents always told me if I were going to have a convertible, it would HAVE to have a rollbar.

I guess they just forgot, because the Firebird never got one, and they aren't complaining about this one... well, they are complaining about the "practicality" of having no trunk.

·
Registered
1 Posts
me first

I actually just had a wreck in mine last saturday night. Took a 45 degree turn going about 50ish and hit puddle just right back end spun out and hit a curb. The front driver wheel was sheered off including the brake assembly. The fender peices thats about 2 x 1 foot to the aft of the wheel was trashed and that was the only damage. Nothing else was hit althought the guards on the bottom to protect the car have to be replaces its estimated near $8k in repairs on our 2006 that just hit 9k miles.:brentil: Dang cops issued 4 tickets one for speeding claiming i was doing 80 when they were no where near to clock me and because there cruisers didnt feel much force taking the turn at 50. Oh posted speed limit is 45 mph.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts