Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I should be getting a Solstice pretty soon, which I'm wild about, but there's one simple worry that's been stuck in my head for weeks now: well, I'll be getting this car as a gift, so obviously it's gonna be my one and only car. Which means I'll have to use it yearound. I'm up in Massachusetts, so you can imagine the snow we get. I'm looking to get some opinions from as many people as possible: is the Solstice a car that can handle the wintertime well? Do you think I'll end up encountering too many problems in the winter driving this car daily?

Thanks to all who reply and get me some help in sorting this whole thing out.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Leovenancio81 said:
I should be getting a Solstice pretty soon, which I'm wild about, but there's one simple worry that's been stuck in my head for weeks now: well, I'll be getting this car as a gift, so obviously it's gonna be my one and only car. Which means I'll have to use it yearound. I'm up in Massachusetts, so you can imagine the snow we get. I'm looking to get some opinions from as many people as possible: is the Solstice a car that can handle the wintertime well? Do you think I'll end up encountering too many problems in the winter driving this car daily?

Thanks to all who reply and get me some help in sorting this whole thing out.
I am also from Mass. This car will be to low to the ground .
You wont go far in the snow.
I have a Pickup to drive in the winter, You my want to look for something cheap for the winter.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, whenever snow falls (at least around here), they melt it down and clean off the roads, so that it's only wet and probably very slippery. Do you mean the car would show problems driving ON snow or even on roads that have been cleaned up like this?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Leovenancio81 said:
Well, whenever snow falls (at least around here), they melt it down and clean off the roads, so that it's only wet and probably very slippery. Do you mean the car would show problems driving ON snow or even on roads that have been cleaned up like this?
If there is 2 or 3 inches I'm guessing you will get stuck .the car is only 2800 #
And being rear wheel drive ,I think you will have trouble.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
Snow? What's that? :lol:

Sorry, a little southern humor. If snow is even in the forcast, we shut down everything and make a run for the grocery store for milk and bread. :yesnod:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
(LoL)

Well, I might be in trouble, then. I've been doing a lot of looking around for cars for quite a few months now, and the Solstice is the only car I found that's good-looking and has a moderate price. (I'm being allowed a price limit here of only up to 20,000 lol.) I would hate to have to give up this car! Hmph..

·
Registered
705 Posts
I've driven a 240Z and a '78 Vette in the winter as that was my only car at the time. They both had more clearance than the Solstice. If it snows 4+ inches (and it will!) forget it, you are going nowhere. Not to mention your car is now a target for evey one coming up behind you. I got stuck in my 240Z so many times I was in danger of losing my job because I was habitually late. I plan on driving my car on 'nice' winter days but snow and ice are not an option.

At the very least if you must drive in the snow get some very good snow tires, not all season radials. Blizaks are great but have a price to match. Best advise...find a beater for $1,000.00, probably cheaper than all the tows you'll need driving the Sol in snow! :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Dodge neons depreciate like a rock. A buddy of mine used to pick up used stirpped down models (manual trans, no power locks, no power windows) for like $3,500 with only 40,000 - 50,000 miles on them. Chrysler has 7-70 powertrain warranty. It would make a decent winter ride and should last you another 60,000 - 80,000 miles.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The family here got an old Monte Carlo (lol!) that's used occasionaly, I suppose I could use it on harsh snow days, that is, when it's available to me. I just don't want to have a car that I'll only be able to enjoy on the 3-4 months of real summer. I'll understand if the solstice can't handle too much snow, but I do need it to not fall apart on me on regular winter days. (Hints of snow scattered around roads, harsh weather and winds, etc.)

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Move to Arizona. :) I'll be driving my Solstice year-around.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All in all, you think it's a good idea for me to get a Solstice considering my position, or a waste of time and money? Let me hear your thoughts! d=D!

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
If you don't mind, how old are you? Are you in school? The reason I ask is that you aquire so much stuff in your early twenties that a Roadster would be a limitation. If you have steady roommates and/or girlfriends with bigger cars you can get by, but you'll have to do a lot of asking. Also there is the snow thing. I don't know the first thing about driving in 'real' snow, so I'll leave that to other posters.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
As much as I love the car, if it waas going to be my only mode of transportation, and I lived where there is significant snow-fall, I would get something else for now and save the Sol for the future.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I live in Northern Indiana and I drive a miata. BUT NOT IN THE WINTER. I have the driving package on my miata and the clearance is very low to the ground. But that's not the main reason I don't drive it in the winter. It is very light weight. 360's can be fun when you intend on doing them.....not so fun when it wasn't intentional. A couple of short drives in the snow in these little roadsters will tell you that they are not a winter vehicle....sorry.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
17 yrs. old, so will be driving daily in winter. They do their best here to keep all the streets snow-free and manageable during wintertime, but considering all the thoughts around this post, it still isn't looking so good. One thing I know, tho, I'd be pissed off to have to give up such a nice car.

·
Registered
229 Posts
with the short wheel base and rear wheel drive, I can see you doing 360's real easy in this car if you are not careful.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts