Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
SolsticeForum Gets a Mention by Autoblog. "I am not solsticeman" Bob Lutz says.

http://www.autoblog.com/category/pontiacsolstice/

"They’re here! The first 1,000 units of the Pontiac Solstice, which are tagged as “special edition” cars, were shipped to dealers last weekend. In honor of the event GM held a ceremony in downtown Detroit last Friday and invited all of the first 1,000 owners to attend. About 200 RSVP’d and were treated to road tests (limited to around the block) and a speech by Bob Lutz, during which he revealed that he had not been posting under the moniker of SolsticeMan on SolsticeForum.com. The biggest news at the party may have been first impressions of the roadster’s color palette. Deep (Blue) and Envious (Green) were big hits, along with the always classy Cool (Silver). The least favorite color might turn out to be Aggressive (Red), which perhaps should be renamed Tomato. I’ll take my Solstice in Mysterious (Black)."

"Check out a bunch of pics and more info from the event over at SolsticeForum."

·
Registered
134 Posts
birdliver said:
Wasn't too happy with their comments on colors of the Sol. Referring to Aggressive ( my choice) as probably the least favorite, they said it should be called "tomato". Gonna take me all week to get over the trauma from that remark! :cryin:
What's wrong with tomato? As a matter of fact last night I was checking the availability of TOMATO vanity plate in my state! (It's available :cool: )

·
2,574 Posts
Wailing Phoenix said:
What's wrong with tomato? As a matter of fact last night I was checking the availability of TOMATO vanity plate in my state! (It's available :cool: )
Good idea, your right . Put a positive spin on it. They gave it a negative connotation, but you are correct. Some of the nicest people I know are tomatos.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Flat?? Tomato???

What the hell are you people smoking? :willy:

I've seen the Solstice in Aggressive (see my avatar) on three occasions and have kicked myself everytime for not ordering it :brentil:

Also, I checked out the Autoblog site - is the site this negative in general, or is all reserved for GM? In virtually every one of the Solstice related articles you can find a negative slant, factual error or both!

:leaving:

·
Premium Member
5,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So what, he said "He'll take his in black." What's wrong with that? I took mine in cool liquidmercury. My least favorite is "envious", his is tomato.
I uh, err, meant to say "aggressive". :leaving:

·
2,574 Posts
MAKsys said:
Flat?? Tomato???

I've seen the Solstice in Aggressive (see my avatar) on three occasions and have kicked myself everytime for not ordering it :brentil:

Also, I checked out the Autoblog site - is the site this negative in general, or is all reserved for GM? In virtually every one of the Solstice related articles you can find a negative slant, factual error or both!

No one will change my mind it's Red all the way... Maksys you are correct.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
MAKsys said:
Flat?? Tomato???

I'm going to have to agree with Red being the least flattering.

Matched with the yellow reflector on the side it might as well have a large M on the hood because it screams McDonalds. It looks like a super-sized fry box.

A darker red or the Dark Cherry Metallic Paint they use on the GrandPrix would have been much better. But hey, that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Quick paint job

If our Aggresive comes in and we are not happy with it, :cool: the paint will be redone to burnt orange metallic.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
MAKsys said:
Yep ... and I must have seen a dozen other people saying something similar after seeing the red cars in person. Several who didn't even like red cars have even said that color jumped out at them as looking really hot.

I have to admit that I was concerned that the red wouldn't look good on this car based on the color-morphed previews, but once the actual pics came out, I knew they got it right. I'm glad GM went with a nice, bright, "in-your-face" red rather than some boring, drab shade of red. It's the only bright color in the Solstice palette. We've got black, white, two shades of gray/silver, and then the blue and green, which are such dark shades that they almost look black. All those colors look great on the car, but come on ... let's not take the color out of all the color choices.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I attended "the event" in Detroit.
It was the first time I ever "drove" (1 blk, 1st & 2nd gear) it,
and the first time I saw all of the colors (except pure) together.
I ordered cool, and will stay with it, but I got to tell you:
Your eye is REALLY drawn to the agressive color!
Thats the one you really notice when they are all together.
I think it looks great!! :thumbs:
It (and actually all of the other colors)
made me wonder what I would order today!​

P.S. However, one of the reasons that I have always stayed away with any version of red, is that they seem to suffer from fading to me. Is this just because the people did not take care of the cars, or is this an inherent problem with the color red??

·
Registered
819 Posts
JeffreyChurch said:
I attended "the event" in Detroit.
It was the first time I ever "drove" (1 blk, 1st & 2nd gear) it,
and the first time I saw all of the colors (except pure) together.
I ordered cool, and will stay with it, but I got to tell you:
Your eye is REALLY drawn to the agressive color!
I think it looks great!!
It (and actually all of the other colors)
made me wonder what I would order today!

P.S. However, one of the reasons that I have always stayed away with any version of red, is that they seem to suffer from fading to me. Is this just because the people did not take care of the cars, or is this an inherent problem with the color red??
I have an 01 S10 Xtreme, with red base, yellow stripes, that sits outside all the time. I have not seen any trouble with the red paint fading. The clear coat over the stripes has mostly peeled away, but no paint trouble.

·
Registered
535 Posts
birdliver said:
Wasn't too happy with their comments on colors of the Sol. Referring to Aggressive ( my choice) as probably the least favorite, they said it should be called "tomato". Gonna take me all week to get over the trauma from that remark! :cryin:
Hey you could call it "Solmato" :lol:

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
JeffreyChurch said:
There were a lot of problems with paint on cars back in the 80's and early 90's (I've seen problems with both red and black) that had problems with fading and/or peeling, but I believe the process has improved with today's modern clearcoat system. I don't think fading is nearly as much of a concern any more, particularly if it's waxed regularly.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Wailing Phoenix said:
Nothing at all ... in fact, it's rather appropriate, since the second definition of tomato is "an attractive woman". And that is indeed one very attractive lady.

·
2,574 Posts
SlipSlider said:
I'm going to have to agree with Red being the least flattering.

Matched with the yellow reflector on the side it might as well have a large M on the hood because it screams McDonalds. It looks like a super-sized fry box.

A darker red or the Dark Cherry Metallic Paint they use on the GrandPrix would have been much better. But hey, that's just my opinion.
This red is actually very close to the old Italian race paint called "Mille Miglia" red. Had it on my McDucati's. ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
SlySol said:
Nothing at all ... in fact, it's rather appropriate, since the second definition of tomato is "an attractive woman". And that is indeed one very attractive lady.
I saw the hot tomato.
the next day I handed over $1500 to my dealer :) :) :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts