Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Volkswagen is developing a back-to-basics, mid engined roadster that's designed to be light, fast and affordable. The company's chief Bernd Pischetsrieder is expected to unveil a prototype of the two-seater rear-drive rocket at the Tokyo Show this October, with cars reaching showrooms on summer 2006 in the U.S.

"Imagine a mid-engined lightweight two-seater roadster with Boxster performance and handling at the price of a well equipped Polo. That's the kind of package we are working on," says Pischetsrieder. That hints at an affordable mid 20'S entry price for the as-yet unamed roadster - a package sure to cause headaches for the similarly priced StreetKa, Peugeot 206CC and the Smart Roadster.

VW engineers are said to be aiming to keep the curb weight between 600 and 700kg - more than a Caterham Super Seven, but less than a Vauxhall VX220. To reach this target they have opted for a mix of materials for the body and structure: aluminum, magnesium, carbon fiber and high-strength steel. The car will be powered by the 150hp 2.0 liter FSI direct-injection engine that's just been launched in the new Audi A3. It will drive the rear wheels via a six-speed tranny. VW insiders claim the 0-60mph sprint will take just six seconds, and the top speed will be around 150mph - that's deep into VX and Elise performance territory and enough to blitz more mainstream rivals like the Mazda MX-5, Toyota MR2 and MGF. Even so, the VW's fuel consuption could be up to 55mpg - a result of the car's light curb weight and it's engines advanced fuel-injection technology.

The VW is said to resemble a downscale version of the stillborn W12-engined Nardo supercar, complete with bold wings and shoulders, truncated rear end and scalloped flanks. The Nardo was shaped by ItalDesign. To keep close eye on cost, the module which secures the engine and tranny on the new roadster is lifted from the Polo - the subframe is mounted behind the rear seats at 180 degrees. This mobility of parts is what Pischetsrieder calls "click tecnology" and it allows different structures from different cars in the VW family to fit together, jig-saw style. VW is serious about the roadster's minimalist nature - there are no plans fit power steering, electric windows or central lockng. To trim curb weight further the VW roadster will use a simple manual fabric roof. On the safety front, however, VW will check most of the boxes, fitting four airbags, anti-lock brakes and ESP stability control as standard.

The fixed rear roll-over hoop and re-inforced windshield frame are said to be integral parts of the chassis stucture - so along with the full safety package, expect a good crash test result. We understand that one of Pischetsrieder's daughters inspired the roadster concept - she drives a Lotus Elise.

I'm just a messenger....

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
hmm

Personally, it looks like a copy of the sol and the sky to me. Not to be compared of course!

·
Registered
763 Posts
didnt we have news that they just canceled that project because they couldnt meet their target price??

·
Registered
397 Posts
It looks like the illegitimate child of a Sol/Sky and a Boxter! :lol:
It's kinda cool, although I don't like the spacecraft-looking instrument area.
Too weird for my tastes.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally they were looking at lower 20's like the Sol, but now their base is going to be $25700 instead. They still think there is a market for it, specailly in the US. The just relesased a new one in Europe called Eos...which is a cabriolett kind of car...

And no they have not canned the project....yet....

·
Registered
199 Posts
SD SOL said:
It looks like the illegitimate child of a Sol/Sky and a Boxter! :lol:
It's kinda cool, although I don't like the spacecraft-looking instrument area.
Too weird for my tastes.
:agree:

Def funky looking but it may grow on me...I didnt appreciate the Sol when it first made an appearance

·
Registered
383 Posts
Well..I think its rather good looking! Also, I may consider this in a basic version if my Sol is not here before they develop this one! At the rate things are happening at the plant...who knows ... whatever this VW is called may actually be in my driveway first!

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
I heard the same thing about VW canceling the project.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well not sure where you read that but here it is...

Date Posted 04-14-2005

Len Hunt, vice president of VW's American operations, told Inside Line that a small SUV had been approved but it had not been decided whether the vehicle will go on sale as a '07 or a '08 model. Hunt's remarks came in the wake of confirmed reports that Volkswagen will also launch a Jetta Wagon and a convertible with a retractable hardtop. Add those vehicles to the list of new products that Volkswagen had previously announced, and it totals 12 new models in the next 24 months.

What's more, Bernd Pischetsrieder, chairman of Volkswagen AG, told the German magazine Auto Motor und Sport that Volkswagen would definitely produce a roadster, based on its Concept R, in 2007. That makes 13 new models for Volkswagen in the next two years.

And Hunt said that he is "pushing like hell" to get a midsize seven-seat sport-utility approved. Without the Euro van and the cancellation of the Microbus, VW doesn't have a people hauler and dealers are pressing for one. Hunt also said that discussions about other products, including a crossover vehicle for VW, are ongoing.

This avalanche of new products is the crux of Volkswagen's return to its roots which are value for money, affordable German engineering that's exciting to drive and cool styling. With its new products, Volkswagen also plans to address quality problems, a lack of model variations, declining sales and profit erosion due to the euro's strong position against the dollar.

·
Registered
705 Posts
All the complaining I read about the 'chrome rings' around the Sols gauges and no comment about the mirrored dash on the dub?

Not a bad looker, imagine a german auto maker copying an american design, who would of thought?!

·
5,600 Posts
GradSoulStice said:
didnt we have news that they just canceled that project because they couldnt meet their target price??
Yes, I posted that this car is now cancelled. At least that is what I read at VWVortex.com. They were reporting that Volkswagen cancelled the Concept R. I would never have bought one, but I would have loved seeing them on the road.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
The next 924?

Is it just me, or does the nose of this VW have the signature Audi drop nose with a huge bar across the middle?

The 924 was trotted out with VW badges on it right up until it debuted as a Porsche. The 914 was also supposed to be a VW....

This time, however, they may have finally realized that they can sell more cars at a reasonable price, and they might let it wear a VW name plate....

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Crimson Avenger said:
The 924 was trotted out with VW badges on it right up until it debuted as a Porsche.

That could be because it was a VW design that Porsche bought from them.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Crimson Avenger said:
Is it just me, or does the nose of this VW have the signature Audi drop nose with a huge bar across the middle?

The 924 was trotted out with VW badges on it right up until it debuted as a Porsche. The 914 was also supposed to be a VW....

This time, however, they may have finally realized that they can sell more cars at a reasonable price, and they might let it wear a VW name plate....
I had a 1978 924 up until about 3 weeks ago. 1/3 of the parts have VW symbols, 1/3 have Audi symbols, and the last 1/3 have Porsche symbols.

There actually was a 914 VW model sold as VW too.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts