Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the privilege of taking a Solstice out for a drive.
It is an amazing vehicle for the price that I hear from deep inside will stick to its estimates.
It was a production vehicle.
I was impressed by many things, but mostly by the fact that it actually looks like the photos and concept car.
Rare for GM!!!!!!!!
Any questions just let me know I'll try and answer.
I did not open the trunk, although the lid looked small.
I’m not sure how the top functions.
It is tight ride. And I mean that in all the ways.
Looks good.
Sounds good.
Performance, great, great hole shot ripped into second gear and cornered great.
It is small. Tight quarters. Limited view.
But at 5'11" it fit me just fine.
This is a stunning vehicle.
I have been around quite a few launches. this will definitely be the best for
Rich

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Rich, was that car from a non-sale production build? We heard the plant would be doing that in January. Is everything on schedule?

Great review, thanks a ton. It's rare we get to hear from people who've been behind the wheel.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Good to hear the news, My only concern is when you say "small tight quarters limited view", could you elaborate on that a bit. I am 6'2'' 230#'s will I fit?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mceb said:
Rich, was that car from a non-sale production build? We heard the plant would be doing that in January. Is everything on schedule?

Great review, thanks a ton. It's rare we get to hear from people who've been behind the wheel.
Yes it was a non-saleable build car.
Everything as far as I know is on schedule.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Brian said:
Good to hear the news, My only concern is when you say "small tight quarters limited view", could you elaborate on that a bit. I am 6'2'' 230#'s will I fit?
Brian, tight quarters it is. It’s a small car. But I think you would fit just fine.
The seat was already adjusted so I didn't need to move it back and I always drive with seat back all the way in almost every car I drive.
When I return I will take the seat all the way back and feel how far the seat goes back.
But the tightness was not uncomfortable it was not an Issue; it actually makes it feel like you’re in a sports car. Which I think it strikes well by looks and drive.
And the limited view is just like any convertible the rear and side mirrors cover any obstructed view.
Rich

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
gmmerc5 said:
Rich, can you share anything on the SKY?
No, Wish I could. The Sky looks like a very nice car. I hope they stay close the concept as they have with the Solstice. Rich

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
daddyking said:
Hello Rich,

Any ideas as to where the cup holders are?

Thanks!
You know I didn't even notice. But will when I return.
I have been asked alot of really good questions.
Questions that I myself am interested in also, since I might buy one of these .If I can get one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
airbalancer said:
does thr truck have room for an overnite bag
No room for shopping :thumbs
Did not open the trunk. I was just happy to take it out for a drive.
I was all about how the car would drive and handle. and if was as fast as it looked. Rich

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
What colour was this one? How did it shift? How about foot room between the clutch and the brakes for us big foot types?
Thanks for the info :thumbs

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
nighttripper said:
What colour was this one? How did it shift? How about foot room between the clutch and the brakes for us big foot types?
Thanks for the info :thumbs
That's a very good question. Because some sports cars like the Lotus Elise have extremely small area in that section. I've come across several people who have siad that their very large feet actually would rest on several petals at once. Which is bad.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rich006 said:
No, Wish I could. The Sky looks like a very nice car. I hope they stay close the concept as they have with the Solstice. Rich

You don't have to worry about that. The Sky is not a showcar... that is theh final design. It's a handmade prototype, but absolutely the final product you will see.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Tight fit

Hee hee well I guess this car was meant for me. I'm 5'3 and weigh 94 pounds. I do love to shop though. I won't be able to fit all my shopping bags in the trunk hee hee. Oh well they can go in the passenger side :crazy

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
bigd said:
You're joking, right?
Why would he be joking? Every other roadster sold today has cup holders, wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that the Solstice has cup holders? From the photos we have now, it's not clear where they are, so some of us are curious. To some of us, cupholders are actually more important than XM radio, Onstar, HUD or even power windows and locks. It's all about being able to live with the car on a daily basis and in this day and age cupholders are not too much to ask for. There are folks going on and on about the stupid litle rubber bits on the windshield frame, and they don't do anything. Why not talk about the cupholders?

Personaly, I think they'll be in a fold away compartment under the waterfall.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
cupholders

NBC on Today show said 20 grand and NO cupholders. Remember the cupholder would have to be to the left of the steering wheel - why? because we steer with our legs and our right hand is busy stirring the gears.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Rich006 said:
I had the privilege of taking a Solstice out for a drive.
It is an amazing vehicle for the price that I hear from deep inside will stick to its estimates.
It was a production vehicle.
I was impressed by many things, but mostly by the fact that it actually looks like the photos and concept car.
Rare for GM!!!!!!!!
Any questions just let me know I'll try and answer.
I did not open the trunk, although the lid looked small.
I’m not sure how the top functions.
It is tight ride. And I mean that in all the ways.
Looks good.
Sounds good.
Performance, great, great hole shot ripped into second gear and cornered great.
It is small. Tight quarters. Limited view.
But at 5'11" it fit me just fine.
This is a stunning vehicle.
I have been around quite a few launches. this will definitely be the best for
Rich

Thanks for the info and insight. Like one of the other posters, I'm well over 6 feet and headroom and legroom will be an issue for me.
I currently have a 2003 BMW Z4 and my selection (for that roadster vs the Boxster, s2000, Miata, Audi TT or SLK) was based largely on that fact that the Z4 has great head and legroom as well as the trunk hold quite a bit even with the roof down (e.g. 2 sets of golf bags).
I really like the looks of the Saturn Sky and the timing of its relaease/production will match my replacement needs nicely..
Any additional specs you can provide regarding interior cabin and/or trunk space will be appreciated.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts