Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the part number for this screw, and the flanged nut under it? I tried going to GMPartsDirect but seemingly they only show the link on the diagram, I still have the link. First lost the flange nut which I replaced with a regular nut and washer, but now the bolt went missing as well.

IMG_20200627_172301.jpg IMG_20200627_172400.jpg IMG_20200627_172413.jpg

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
if you get desperate, there are flanged head bolts at a good hardware store or fastenal. i'm sure you can something that will work

Bill

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
Lowes has 6mm bolts. You could buy a steel or nylon spacer, they have those too. saw the spacer off to just a little wider than the part it is going into and install spacer and either a flanged bolt or bolt with washer. The spacer will allow you tighten the bolt up without binding the part it goes through. you might also want to saw off the excess threads on the bolt so that it doesn't protrude through the top.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lowes has 6mm bolts. You could buy a steel or nylon spacer, they have those too. saw the spacer off to just a little wider than the part it is going into and install spacer and either a flanged bolt or bolt with washer. The spacer will allow you tighten the bolt up without binding the part it goes through. you might also want to saw off the excess threads on the bolt so that it doesn't protrude through the top.
That's what I did last time, couldn't find the flanged nut so I went nut + washer.

I found my pack of spare nuts, bought a few last time. I'll do some measurements.

But think someone helped me found it: https://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts/gm-bolt-19120632.html

Reactions: joybill44

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, finally sorted. So I went to 2 different dealerships, one told me they need 4-6 weeks to get it in. Other one told me the part number simply doesn't exist, I have to buy the whole link.

Ended up going to Home Depot and picked up an M5x20mm (not M6 like the dealership told me to use as a substitute) hex bolt and a washer. It sticks further out in the back, but it's not of concern as there's a ton of clearance behind it. An M5x16mm probably would've been a better fit, but that bin was empty, so I settled for the 20mm.

This is what it looks like now:

Compared to stock:

Also took a closer look at the setup on the driver side, turns out on top of the bolt, there's actually a brass sleeve that goes between the linkage and the bolt, probably to stop the bolt threads from filing against the linkage. So I wrapped plumber's teflon tape on the bolt until it fills the gap in the hole, and threw some blue threadlocker on the nut.

Basically, like this:

It's not pretty, but it works . Hope this helps someone who run into the same issue... I was told the passenger side linkage is out of production as well.

·
Super Moderator
7,301 Posts
Nice description, thanks.

Along with cannibalizing wrecked cars, there is going to be more of this sort of improvisation in our futures.

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
Nice job! Now that you have some extra bolt length You might want to put a jam nut on that protruding bolt end. That would stop it from coming loose again.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice job! Now that you have some extra bolt length You might want to put a jam nut on that protruding bolt end. That would stop it from coming loose again.
I'll see how it goes with the threadlocker first, and have to observe for any other scratching during use, if there is I may end up having to cut the threads shorter, though I'm confident there won't be any. I was also thinking of searching again to see if I can get a black bolt so it blends better.

·
Super Moderator
7,301 Posts
I'll see how it goes with the threadlocker first, and have to observe for any other scratching during use, if there is I may end up having to cut the threads shorter, though I'm confident there won't be any. I was also thinking of searching again to see if I can get a black bolt so it blends better.
McMaster-Carr has the parts, but you probably don't want 100 of them....

Capture.JPG Capture1.JPG Capture2.JPG

The bushing is a guess. I haven't actually measured one.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I do know someone who has calipers to measure the exact dimensions, could do that later.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts