Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This had been tickling my brain for awhile. I figured I post it just to see what others thought. Appearance is so objective that my thoughts don't mean much anyway.

Sostice
It reminded me of a Cobra / MG hybrid the first time I saw it :) . But after seeing it in person, there was something about the appearance that I just didn't like. I finally figured out what it is. It's the side profile. The back of the car just looks too "heavy" or maybe "chunky" is the better word. When I see the back end, the first thing I think is "thank goodness this a RWD, because all that weight back their ought to be sitting over the drive wheels". The car needs a few more horsies to justify that back end in my mind.

Now I know the car is 50/50, or very close. So the look of heft in the back is merely an allusion. But if I could get into the ACAD program that they used to lay out the car, I would feel much better if I could shave just a TAD bit of metal off the back end and lower that portion of the profile.

NC Miata
Having seen it in person, I like the car from every angle but the front. To me, the front of the car looks like a squished smiley face showing open mouth surprise, or maybe displeasure.

I don't know how I'd fix this. I like the throwback to the NA look from the rear of the car. The fender flares I'm not a fan of but can live with. The headlight shape is just not right. It looks like they have it disguised with padding for some pre-launch road testing and the padding mystically melded into the sheetmetal.

Whew, glad I got that off my chest. I was struggling to verbalize what I disliked about each but was having a tough time pinning it down. Now I feel better. ;)

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
The "chunky rear" is a homage to vintage european roadsters with that same style. I think it makes the side-view as agressive as the looking at the front stance. It looks like it's "perched" and ready to go.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Fortimir said:
The "chunky rear" is a homage to vintage european roadsters with that same style. I think it makes the side-view as agressive as the looking at the front stance. It looks like it's "perched" and ready to go.
:agree:

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Matt123 said:
The back of the car just looks too "heavy" or maybe "chunky" is the better word. When I see the back end, the first thing I think is "thank goodness this a RWD, because all that weight back their ought to be sitting over the drive wheels".
If you think the Solstice rear looks heavy, you must hate the newer Mustangs. Now that rear end really looks like a beached whale hanging out there behind the wheels.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Amen to that Bonzo. I thought the "new" Mustang was nothing more than Ford saying, "You know, we have no new and fresh ideas. So we're going to take an old design off the filing cabinets and move a few lines around and call it Vintage."

Granted, they did a lot of internal redesign, but I think the Mustang is just...awful.

It looks like it's "perched" and ready to go.

That sums it up nicely. But I get these awful high school flashbacks (late 80s, early 90s) of junkers with jacked up rear ends and super wide tires. And I think that's partly the reason why the side profile of the Solstice bothers me.

Still want one though. :)

·
Read Only
3,468 Posts
Matt123 said:
... But I get these awful high school flashbacks (late 80s, early 90s) of junkers with jacked up rear ends and super wide tires. And I think that's partly the reason why the side profile of the Solstice bothers me.

Still want one though. :)
Matt,

You have a point there, perhaps. I too have those flashbacks (but they are "post-graduate school and raising kids" for me :yesnod: ) of the "Starsky and Hutch" wannabees. I still will have a Solstice if God allows it, and I don't die first. (My wife has already given the :thumbs: !)

--Chemist

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Chemist said:
Matt,

You have a point there, perhaps. I too have those flashbacks (but they are "post-graduate school and raising kids" for me :yesnod: ) of the "Starsky and Hutch" wannabees. I still will have a Solstice if God allows it, and I don't die first. (My wife has already given the :thumbs: !)

--Chemist
Oh wow, just what we need, Ford to remake the Torino 429. How about a new Superbird- oops no more Plymouth to do it. Now here is an idea, a brand new car company that only does retro reissues from dead marquees. AMX/3, Superbird, 442, Avanti

1 - 7 of 7 Posts