Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called my dealer today to drop the AC from my car and I found that they got an email from Pontiac telling them to put all 3 of the First Allocation cars in the system. He said he also got a target date range, but he didn't want to get my hopes up so he said he'd call me back when they get a more precise date.

Maybe next week those orders will get pulled?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I'm on the first allocation.....just ordered two weeks ago!

I ordered one of two Solstices just last week. I called every dealer in the Western US to find one that could get me onto the 1st allocation. How fortunate I was to find one dealer that was in a change of ownership situation that lasted 4 months. During the change of ownership, the dealer didn't take any orders for the Solstice. Just my forture, I called the New Fleet Manager two weeks ago and low and behold, I was the first "Freakin" pre-order (1st allocation). All the legal aspects of the change of ownership just cleared a few weeks ago. "HOW BOUT THAT". She didn't know anything about the Solstice (thank goodness for the forum, I told her to check with GM to find out how many cars they were receiving for the 1st allocation). She was shocked to know I could talk the car lingo. She called me later that day to tell me they were receiving two cars in the first allocation. Now that's a Blessing!

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's really lucky! I called around the day after the "Apprentice Day" and didn't find any dealers in my area, I had to go to a dealer 180 miles away and even then their #1 slot was taken.

·
Registered
245 Posts
ntouched said:
I ordered one of two Solstices just last week. I called every dealer in the Western US to find one that could get me onto the 1st allocation. How fortunate I was to find one dealer that was in a change of ownership situation that lasted 4 months. During the change of ownership, the dealer didn't take any orders for the Solstice. Just my forture, I called the New Fleet Manager two weeks ago and low and behold, I was the first "Freakin" pre-order (1st allocation). All the legal aspects of the change of ownership just cleared a few weeks ago. "HOW BOUT THAT". She didn't know anything about the Solstice (thank goodness for the forum, I told her to check with GM to find out how many cars they were receiving for the 1st allocation). She was shocked to know I could talk the car lingo. She called me later that day to tell me they were receiving two cars in the first allocation. Now that's a Blessing!
i don't know about everybody else who have had orders for a while now, but i would be pr :rant: etty pi$$ed off about this whole thing if an order that was placed last week, was picked up before mine. i ordered mine may 4/05(4:20 pm). maybe it's just me, but wouldn't it make more sense to atleast build the cars in the order they were recieved.... sorry bout the :rant: eh!

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I feel the same way, I had my order placed on 4/27/05 9:23am, but about a week earlier I called and secured my #2 spot of the 3 cars.

Take Amazon.com for instance with pre-orders. They pull them in order of the order date.

·
5,641 Posts
Adrenaline said:
Take Amazon.com for instance with pre-orders. They pull them in order of the order date.
And your dealer pulls their pre-orders in order of the order date. Same as Amazon.com

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
jester316 said:
i don't know about everybody else who have had orders for a while now, but i would be pr :rant: etty pi$$ed off about this whole thing if an order that was placed last week, was picked up before mine. i ordered mine may 4/05(4:20 pm). maybe it's just me, but wouldn't it make more sense to atleast build the cars in the order they were recieved.... sorry bout the :rant: eh!

I'm sure you'll get yours before them. They do go bye time of order I believe. My order is a zerro/zipper and was picked up by GM 6 weeks ago, but haven't heard anything else.I don't know what the problem is? Why can't they gice me a production date?

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Small Dealer said:
And your dealer pulls their pre-orders in order of the order date. Same as Amazon.com
I meant at the GM level not the dealer.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Allocated cars per dealer....

Looks like in my case this dealership was allocated two cars (which they had not sold to anyone). It makes sense to me (I'm just buying a car they were allocated for, which had not been sold). Small dealer, does this make sense?

·
Registered
705 Posts
Small Dealer said:
Well this stinks! I had a so called 'order' with my first dealer 'til I found out I was being led around by the nose...no order. I am glad I managed to find a dealer that had a cancel but now I know I'll be one of the last of the first allocation orders filled. Yet another reason to thank dealer #1! You'd hope 10 new GM's in 15 years would buy a little respect but not from them.

Somebody give me a ride when they get theirs? I'm not above begging!

I am glad the wait is almost over! Thanks SD, you sound like a straight shooter.

·
5,641 Posts
Adrenaline said:
I meant at the GM level not the dealer.
But GM is a manufacturer and Amazon & Dealers are retailers. Apples and Oranges.

·
5,641 Posts
ntouched said:
Looks like in my case this dealership was allocated two cars (which they had not sold to anyone). It makes sense to me (I'm just buying a car they were allocated for, which had not been sold). Small dealer, does this make sense?

The whole dealer change over-not selling cars-having them available? Sounds like it works for me.

Now with just 2 cars in the first four month allocation, it must be a smaller dealer (or getting shorted by being new). Therefore your #1 slot could still come near the back parts of the first four month allocation group.

And yes, your order from last week could get built before many of the 8,000-9,000 orders already in the system. Actually it could happen that order number 9,000 is built before order number 1,001.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Small Dealer said:
And yes, your order from last week could get built before many of the 8,000-9,000 orders already in the system. Actually it could happen that order number 9,000 is built before order number 1,001.
Don't tease me! You gave a man dying of thirst a glass of water!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Thanks Small Dealer.....

Can't wait till the wait is over. I received a call on my voice mail from the Fleet Manager stating she had good news. I called back, but she's gone til Monday. I'll have to wait. I do really feel bad having the possibility of getting or having my order pulled already. But I did what anyone else on this forum would have done (oh the magic of just picking up the phone and calling various dealers.....worked for me)!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Earth to small dealer

In case small dealer is watching:

I have had an order in since shortly after 4/15. I understand from my dealer that my order is no. 1 and has been placed. After that, nothing.

I'd like to know what intelligent questions about my order I should be asking. I believe that the following are correct:

1. Has my order been "picked up" by the factory?
2. What is your initial allotment?

Do these questions make sense? Are there any other questions that can be reasonably asked at this point?

Thanks in advance

·
5,641 Posts
ntouched said:
I received a call on my voice mail from the Fleet Manager stating she had good news. I called back, but she's gone til Monday.
Wait, I think I know this one.

The good news is she just saved a bundle by switching her car insurance to Geico. :lol:

Bet that is it. ;)

·
5,641 Posts
wrightpwx said:
I have had an order in since shortly after 4/15. I understand from my dealer that my order is no. 1 and has been placed. After that, nothing.

I'd like to know what intelligent questions about my order I should be asking. I believe that the following are correct:

1. Has my order been "picked up" by the factory?
2. What is your initial allotment?

Do these questions make sense? Are there any other questions that can be reasonably asked at this point?
Those two questions will pretty much wrap things up. In fact if you ask number two first you might get you answer there. If their first four month allocation is a low number, then chances are you order hasn't been "picked up".

Keep in mind that we are on the edge of things starting to open up from an infomation stand point. Production should be started, shipping will start soon, more allocations will be coming, and with those allocations possible target production weeks.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Why No 3rd Shift?

I Am New To This Forum But Have Been Reading It For A Month And It Has Kept Me Very Informed. Thank You All. My Father Ran A Production Plant For G.m. In Ohio For 32 Years And I Worked At It For 2 Summers. When They Needed More Cars They Added A 3rd Shift. Why Not In This Cicumstance. It Seems They Are Losing Sales And Upsetting Customers! Also, I Keep Hearing Of Dealers That Have Only 4 Or 5 Allocations. Mine Says He Has 22 Or Is He Lying?

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Because there is such a thing as over producing. They only expect to sell so many every year. There's no point adding the equipment and man power for a 3rd shift if they're only going to need it for the first 6 months of production.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts