Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My title explains it all. I saw a Jeep Commander yesterday and man, was it a gaudy piece. First, it is a two box SUV, and I mean a really squared off, slab sided shipping crate like box. But the worst. Down either side of the back, extending from the roof to just above the bumper and taillights were two handles. Their purpose was a mystery to me unless passengers will enter the vehicle through the rear tailgate. They detracted from the overall boring and bland design.

Reviews like this one (picks too) http://autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=103153 point out that it is similar to the old Cherokee's they used to sell. Yes they are, except they are blown up to Hummer size.

I dunno. I suppose it will help Jeep keep loyalists needing 3 rows from defecting, but I think it is a really disappointing design. I find nothing appealing about it, and I do like Jeeps in general (I own a Wrangler).

·
Registered
91 Posts
:agree: I've seen one of those too, and it makes you wonder if UPS designed it or something. Aztek owners have something to point their fingers at now.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know if it is Aztek bad. It is just as square/boxy, but it doesn't have that face on it.

However, the B9 Tribeca is another story. That could certainly give the Aztek a run for the "worst snout on an SUV" award.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
naoki said:
grrr... I HATE boxy vehicles.

(ignore avatar)
I cannot say that I like that Scion all that much either, but at least it's size is not so imposing. All SUV's are essentially boxes, but some just seem hideous. My first impression was that this Jeep is one of them.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Looks like the front of a Jeep attached to a Volvo.

·
Registered
383 Posts
As I happen to sell Jeeps and Fords...I can say that they arent exactly flying out of the store. However, the big boxws are actually a hell of a nice SUV driving down the road. They are 10x quieter and smoother than a Grand Cherokee or Explorer. And they are marketing them towards the "urban" market and putting them in rap videos and so forth. So they will sell just fine. Supposed to look like an H3. And they do.

·
4,592 Posts
Ff88, is this the jeep we talked about a ways back as a possible alternative to the H3, or is there another jeep you mentioned a ways back that is still coming down the road for another model year?

That commander doesn't do much for me :eek:

I think the H3 has it hands down for looks.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Fformula88 said:
I cannot say that I like that Scion all that much either.
The Toaster? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Actually, I think the Toaster is kind of cool. Saw some decked out surfer dude Scions in Cali with surf board rack. :cool:

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
RODEO said:
Ff88, is this the jeep we talked about a ways back as a possible alternative to the H3, or is there another jeep you mentioned a ways back that is still coming down the road for another model year?

Back in early June, I posted:
MAKsys said:
Today, while driving down the expressway, I passed a new Jeep Commander (think H3 with more proportional windows)
Yea, I didn't care for it then - and $3/gal gas hasn't warmed me to it one bit ;)

·
4,592 Posts
MAKsys said:
Yea, I didn't care for it then - and $3/gal gas hasn't warmed me to it one bit ;)
At $3+/gallon, we should all be on the vespa board :lol:

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
RODEO said:

No, that wasn't the Commander. I suggested the next generation Wrangler which will be out next summer as a 4 door.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
RODEO said:
At $3+/gallon, we should all be on the vespa board :lol:
I am sure getting tired of spending $45 at the pump every few days to keep my Wrangler fueled up! :(

My next daily driver is going to have to get better fuel mileage than my Wrangler, and it may have to come real soon. I don't think I can spend hundreds at the pump every month all winter like I have to now, and still afford the enormous heating bills we are sure to see.

·
4,592 Posts
Fformula88 said:
No, that wasn't the Commander. I suggested the next generation Wrangler which will be out next summer as a 4 door.
Thanks.....and oops..it just hit me I could have looked that up in the H3 thread......sorry! I thought for sure it wans't the commander as the one you mentioned was a year or two down the line....:)

·
4,592 Posts
Fformula88 said:
I am sure getting tired of spending $45 at the pump every few days to keep my Wrangler fueled up! :(

My next daily driver is going to have to get better fuel mileage than my Wrangler, and it may have to come real soon. I don't think I can spend hundreds at the pump every month all winter like I have to now, and still afford the enormous heating bills we are sure to see.
NO DOUBT!!!

I will likely keep my Rodeo till the end, it currently has 65k miles, but at these gas prices, I doubt it will ever see 100K miles on the odo.

p.s. whatch out for a significant economic cycle shift in the near future based on energy prices and several other factors (prediction: yes).

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
RODEO said:
NO DOUBT!!!

I will likely keep my Rodeo till the end, it currently has 65k miles, but at these gas prices, I doubt it will ever see 100K miles on the odo.

p.s. whatch out for a significant economic cycle shift in the near future based on energy prices and several other factors (prediction: yes).
I've been considering a new daily driver anyway even though my Wrangler is only at 34K miles. However, it is paid for too, which helps defray the extra cost of gas and gives me pause to any new vehicles.

I too am thinking there could be a significant economic shift based on energy. Even without the spike in prices from the hurricanes, there appears to be an endless upward trend to energy prices due to escalating world demand. Gasoline, natural gas, etc are going to be more expensive in the long run.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Fformula88 said:
I too am thinking there could be a significant economic shift based on energy. Even without the spike in prices from the hurricanes, there appears to be an endless upward trend to energy prices due to escalating world demand. Gasoline, natural gas, etc are going to be more expensive in the long run.
I agree for the near future (next several years), but it's hard to predict the long tterm. During the "energy crisis" of the early 70's the RV industry suffered severrely and there were many predictions that it wouldn't survive. But after many years it not only survived, but thrived, and at unbelieveable prices. I realize the circumstances aren't identical by any maeans, but there are similarities. Up to this point these things have been cyclical. I think what the determining factor will be now is whether are not there are long periods where prices stabilize before there is another round of increases.

·
4,592 Posts
If this off-topic stuff goes much further, maybe break this topic to a new thread.......

I'll add to my comments on the economy......

I see also problems with:

hyperinflated real estate prices in large areas of the country, significant consumer lending based on lower than usual interest rates, the growing rate hikes of the last year, lending practices that have not been seen since pre-Depression era (interest only, etc.), consumer confidence is now at a 15 year low, consumer spending is at at a 5 year low, the global economy is largely supported by signifcant US consumer spending, many jobs (thus the economy) are supported by the currently flourishing real estate market, new tougher bankruptcy laws, new minimum credit card payment laws (take effect in Jan), and of course rising (and more importantly - unstable) energy prices. I know I missed a few.

I am convinced that the proverbial camel's back is loaded, one straw may not break it's back, but one straw after another will. This is already occuring as people begin to feel the pinch of higher gas prices, higher home energy costs, general inflation caused by higher energy cost, and adjutable home mortgages that are just now beginning to rise due to the 50% increase of the prime rate sice early last year. If a domino effect starts form these things, consumer spending may crash, economies supported by real estate will loose jobs, and the days of prosperity will change to a period of recession.

That's just my opinion. Remember folks (I'm in Calif), so my local economy is especially tied to the points above, I know they do not hold true for all parts of the country.

Myself, I am in a significant job change/possible relocation currently, and a major emphasis will be to continue my lack of non-commuting lifestyle, that leaves me the benefit of using my gas budget for joy rides and offroading........

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
RODEO said:
If this off-topic stuff goes much further, maybe break this topic to a new thread.......

I'll add to my comments on the economy......

I see also problems with:

hyperinflated real estate prices in large areas of the country, significant consumer lending based on lower than usual interest rates, the growing rate hikes of the last year, lending practices that have not been seen since pre-Depression era (interest only, etc.), consumer confidence is now at a 15 year low, consumer spending is at at a 5 year low, the global economy is largely supported by signifcant US consumer spending, many jobs (thus the economy) are supported by the currently flourishing real estate market, new tougher bankruptcy laws, new minimum credit card payment laws (take effect in Jan), and of course rising (and more importantly - unstable) energy prices. I know I missed a few.

I am convinced that the proverbial camel's back is loaded, one straw may not break it's back, but one straw after another will. This is already occuring as people begin to feel the pinch of higher gas prices, higher home energy payments, general inflation caused by higher energy cost, and home mortgages that are just now beginning to rise due to the 50% increase of the prime rate sice early last year. If a domino effect starts form these things, consumer spending may crash, economies supported by real estate will loose jobs, and the days of prosperity will change to a period of recession.

That's just my opinion. Remember folks (I'm in Calif), so my local economy is especially tied to the points above, I know they do not hold true for all parts of the country.

Myself, I am in a significant job change/possible relocation currently, and a major emphasis will be to continue my lack of non-commuting lifestyle, that leaves me the benefit of using my gas budget for joy rides and offroading........
You make a lot of valid points. If only I could find the crystal ball. ;) Many people aren't aware of the fact, but during the depression people that guessed right about the economy (and regardless of what anyone says, I believe it is always a guess) got wealthy.
Now, about that Jeep Commander...

·
4,592 Posts
Editguy said:
You make a lot of valid points. If only I could find the crystal ball. ;) Many people aren't aware of the fact, but during the depression people that guessed right about the economy (and regardless of what anyone says, I believe it is always a guess) got wealthy.
You said it!

No crystal ball here either.

And yes, many do make money from downturned economies (it's actually easy to do). I have my finances set up to do exactly that...but it's based on my perception of my previous statement, I could be wrong. Thus, I do a lot of homework on the subject, and in my free time, I troll here :devil: :lol:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts