Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Some new pics at pontiac.com

3K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  GreatWhiteNorth 
#1 ·
Maybe I haven't been checking the 'official' site as often as I should, but just saw some new pics for the first time. The extreme closeup of the nose is awesome in the 1024x768 downloadable wallpaper. You can see the metal flake in the paint, and I just noticed something that I can't believe I haven't seen before. There is a crease down the middle of the hood! Running right through the pontiac emblem. Am I blind or did anyone else miss this? I am getting farsighted so maybe it's just me.

#2 ·
AztekzRpurty said:
Maybe I haven't been checking the 'official' site as often as I should, but just saw some new pics for the first time. The extreme closeup of the nose is awesome in the 1024x768 downloadable wallpaper. You can see the metal flake in the paint, and I just noticed something that I can't believe I haven't seen before. There is a crease down the middle of the hood! Running right through the pontiac emblem. Am I blind or did anyone else miss this? I am getting farsighted so maybe it's just me.
None of the pictures I have show this crease. And several of them have the car outside on a sunny day or under bright lights so it would show up if it were there. It isn't.

So a minor styling change on the way to production? It looks like it comes down over the front and continues on down. I wonder if they've extended it over the back as well?

It's a very subtle accent and breaks up the broad expanse of the hood. I'm thinking I like it.

#4 ·
mceb said:
Interesting, I've seen those pics before and never seen that detail before. True it's not in other pictures so hard to tell if it was a minor detail they tried and dropped already. Good catch.
I had not caught that before. I wonder if its a new addition they are floating out there, or whether its been there and you just need to be looking closely or have a really high rez pic to see it. Most of the pics I have seen have been lower rez and although I did see it in the flesh at Detroit this past winter, the railings around the turntable were a decent distance from the car. I cannot remember if it was there or not, or whether I would have noticed or not. I'll have to go over my digi pics of the car when I get home and see if I can detect it in any.

#5 ·
To be honest, that photo looks pretty "doctored" to me. The crease in question seems to have been added later in photoshop or something. I suspect it may be something they played with and discarded. Either way I'm fine with it, but I don't put much stock in that one picture, and I believe if it were there for the rest of the photos we would have seen it by now. The best way to settle this is for Pontiac to let one of us go down there and inspect it!:thumbs

#6 ·
Who knows, it might even be a really old image of the clay model, or some other prototype. Because I've looked at several other images and I can't see the same ridge on any others. But it is very noticible on this image.

#7 ·
AeroDave said:
The best way to settle this is for Pontiac to let one of us go down there and inspect it!:thumbs
I'll grudgingly volunteer for this duty. However, I am going to have to get some seat time behind the wheel where I can properly study the hood! :cheers

I am tending to agree that this is not an actual styling feature. The Detroit car doesn't have it, as can be seen in a number of photos including the recent edmunds.com photos. It also does not appear on the flat black prototypes in England doing handling testing. In fact, nowhere except this wallpaper image have I seen it. It also does not seem fitting to the styling of the car, to have a crease down the middle with all soft, round edges on the remainder of the car.

#10 ·
I wonder if GREATWHITENORTH could shed some light on the subject, compared to the one he saw at the cruise he was at.

#11 ·
soleman said:
I wanted to send out this link I found to a fella's 04 North American Auto Show pics. They are pretty good:

http://mlav.com/new/cars/04autoshow/index_26.htm
That's the concept version...one way to tell is the center exhaust in back. Pre-prod version that came later had exhaust routed to one side. Front changed a little too. Some auto shows still had the older concept version floating around in 04 but it dates back to 2002.

#12 ·
They had the 2002 concept (pictured in that link) and the 2006 production prototype at the Detroit show. The '02 concept was over with the rest of the Pontiacs, across from the G6 sedan. The '06 prototype was in the Kappa display with the other kappa concepts. It was nice for them to show both for comparisons sake! :thumbs

#13 ·
Man, most of you really know your stuff. The problem is, there just isn't much out there to talk about right now. Where's the steady leak of corporate information to keep someone on the fence interested?
We're splitting hairs since there isn't much out there. Isn't anyone working the early stages of the production line/training/subcontracting brake pads or something. I know GM doesn't want the same 3 articles/10 pictures circulating for 3 years. Where's the beef? That's it, I'm going to Wendy's..

#14 ·
Actually if you look at most other car companies you don't get signigicant info until the last several months prior to release. A lot of it has to do with the car might change some up until the last moment, and a company doesn't want to pimp what they don't end up selling.

#15 ·
I agree, it was the concept. I saw it @ Woodward too.
Notice it does not have the fuel tank lid behind the driver's door
and the headlights and front turning signal lights are different.

It looks like the concept car has gotten quite a bit of use because
the interior looked quite worn when I looked inside the vehicle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.