Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm looking at some different engine swap ideas for my solstice and came across something interesting.

Cosworth Pontiac CAMEL Light Spec Sheet

I don't know much about this motor but was hoping someone here does. Other than some kind of unique motor like this I'm thinking of just going hog wild and throwing an Indycar motor under the hood. I am also looking at other Cosworth motors.

Chevy 2002 GEN II IRL 700 HP Spec Sheet

Please keep in mind I know I am a little crazy with the ideas I have, but to me there's no point in spending money on a swap that other people have done, I want one of a kind. If I was just looking for more power I'd buy a vette.

Thoughts? :willy:

·
Super Moderator
16,388 Posts

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
Not sure many would realize (appreciate?) the Cosworth wasn't OEM. The Gen II doesn't read as a street engine. Main reason I posted: http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f26/bl-w-me-twice-3-0tt-3-6tt-74426/ is because had the Kappa continued I could of seen it being offered as OEM in a Kappa II. One of a kind doesn't have the cool factor it once did in the hot rod world due to motorheads pulling and swapping powerplants for decades. However, what generally gets the admiration from geniune motorheads is the attention to detail that was included in a swap.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
It's a mini Hemi. I agree with the built / not streetable argument. I have 11:1 in my Vette and I put a huge cam and 3500 stall in it and it took the enjoyement out of driving it. I still have the compression but I have a mild cam and mild stall in there now and it's much nicer driving it around town.

Charlie

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting comments... ChopTop the GenII isnt a street engine, but can be detuned and converted to pump gas pretty easily.

The actual engine I wanted to go with was the H1 3.0 v8 that's in the ariel atom v8- but with a 40k price tag I just can't justify it.

I find the concept of lower displacement, higher revving motors very attractive, So based on that constraint what would the recommendations be?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
An engine I saw at the PRI show that caught my eye was a Nick Arias Jr. Racing Components’ “Max Duty” aluminum 4-Cylinder Hemi head engine. Expensive but would make a cool choice under the hood of a KAPPA with a set of side draft Webers. Nice little pushrod engine :D.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
One of the new Buick Regal's 2013 GS has a 4 cylinder turbo and would make a great replacement engine on our KAPPA cars. Basically it's a newer advanced 2.0 turbo with better components/parts. Would be an easy fit without all of the transmission swapping needed for other engines. I'm just waiting for DDM Works to do this swap. Hint hint. ;)

"Tuned to deliver 270 hp and 295 lb-ft of torque, Regal GS blurs the lines with an estimated 0–60 mph performance in under 7 seconds."

·
Registered
85 Posts
There are a few unique swaps that have come up in conversation with friends. Subaru STI 2.5 boxer & drive train. Might be difficult, but an AWD solstice with the thump of a boxer would be pretty interesting. 13b or 20b Mazda rotary. Love hearing these things wind up through the RPM range. Plus it is just fun to stuff rotary into anything you can.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
229 Posts
How about a 3.8 turbo from a Buick Grand national? That could also be high on the cool factor.:cool:

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
The 4.2 liter straight six with either a single or twin turbo.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
This is what gets my vote. It is GM, it is new, and I am pretty sure it would fit.
You are talking 420 HP over 430 torque, right out of the box:

GM?s new twin-turbo V6 boasts BMW-beating output, brilliant packaging

2014 Cadillac CTS to get GM's first twin-turbocharged V6 | Fox News

And it would just plain look cool siting there. :thumbs:

Oh man, this is a compact engine:
(Are those two water to air ICs I am seeing on top of the engine?)
(Notice they are only pushing 12 PSI of boost? There must be plenty of room to grow)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is what gets my vote. It is GM, it is new, and I am pretty sure it would fit.
You are talking 420 HP over 430 torque, right out of the box:

GM?s new twin-turbo V6 boasts BMW-beating output, brilliant packaging

2014 Cadillac CTS to get GM's first twin-turbocharged V6 | Fox News

And it would just plain look cool siting there. :thumbs:

Oh man, this is a compact engine:
(Are those two water to air ICs I am seeing on top of the engine?)
(Notice they are only pushing 12 PSI of boost? There must be plenty of room to grow)

GM 2014 3.6L twin-turbo V6 Build Animation - YouTube
Ok now this I can get behind! I'm a fan of the 3.6 in general, and this setup fits everything I want so it definitely makes the list. Only possible problem with this option is I remember reading clearance at the hood might be very tight with the 3.6:brentil:

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Cool animation, GS! Imagine having to replace a starter on that beast! Sure glad they don't build them like they used to. I can't remember the last time I heard of a starter failure on a modern car...

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
They claim that this version was designed with hood clearance in mind and that it will even fit in the ATS.
So my bet is it will fit in a Kappa as well.

·
Registered
7,226 Posts

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
IMHO, you should try a short stroke LS motor (like 3-3.25) with light flywheel, titanium rods, and roller cam and just spin the rods out of it. Shoot for 9K rpm or higher. It will be the only one around. I remember a 400 SBC w/ a 327 crank, short dual quad tunnel ram and 10,000 rpm launches. It always won.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts