Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We’ve had discussions on the forum about the collectability of our cars and occasionally the subject comes up in other places. I thought you may be interested in the opinion of the Solstice’ father, Bob Lutz. It may surprise you.

In his Ask Bob column, the last page piece in the October Road & Track, Bob was asked, “What would you pick for your daily driver, SUV and sports car and which would you buy and hold for the future?”

He replied…”For collection purposes, I have my 1952 Cunningham C-4R, my Aston Martin DB2 (originally my dad’s) and three nearly new Pontiac Solstices. These are my personal choices, others may have equally valid picks.”

I find that quite heartening and the second month he has mentioned the Solstice in high favor. Seems to me, with the National meet next year in Corning, NY, at least potentially, it would be great to invite Bob Lutz to attend and consider asking him to be a featured guest and speaker. He lives not that far away in Ann Arbor, Michigan.

Worth some consideration…

Richard Snipes

·
Premium Member
3,667 Posts
there was a Bob Lutz video at the 2014 gathering in the Poconos...

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I flew to Flint to pick up a hot rod Fleetwood Brougham and dropped by the Car & Driver offices in Ann Arbor on the way back to FL. Missed DED, Jr. but got a nice visit with John Philips. I remember him talking about Maximum Bob dropping by the office in a pre-production Solstice. It was not that long a slog back, of course it was downhill and Corning would be horizontal, kinda. Would not hurt to ask. Time is spinning ever more quickly for us old guys, you know, and Bob Lutz qualifies. He will be 87 next February 12th.

Richard Snipes

·
Administrator
9,209 Posts
I know we invited Bob to be a speaker at the 2nd National in Nashville. I don't think we ever got a reply.

@MomsSol

:thumbs:

I did recieve a reply and he was unable to attend due to schedule conflict.
We did however receive several things from GM/Pontiac:

They supplied all of the display tents that were used in the parking lot we used for "How To" seminars.

Provided the Solstice that was displayed at the front entrance to the hotel.

Provided all the Pontiac lanyards used for attendees.

I'm sure they other smaller item but can't recal for certain.

For the Colorado meet they sent Pontiac lapel pins and the Solstice performance books.

·
Registered
256 Posts
yeah, but he's the father of the solstice; heavily biased.

I think the 1970s vettes are much better looking than the 80s, 90s and current ones; but me, 70s vette lovers and the 70s vette designers are the few who agree with me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts