1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,849 Posts
Bravo! I needed that.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Very good history of this concept automobile going into production. Really puts a new complexion on my impatience for my Solstice. Thanks for the information.

Mysterious in Leather

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
That popular science article was good. I think it used to have a picture of the clay model of the Solstice which for years was our only picture of the top up !

·
Registered
185 Posts
Thanks for the link -- well worth reading!!!

For people that want the reader's digest version, I thought these were some of the interesting lines from it that some people may not already know,

Along with a hundred or more of his colleagues, exterior designer Franz von Holzhausen put pen to paper. Though he had worked in GM's North Hollywood, California, studio for less than two years, the 33-year-old auto artist was no stranger to crash programs. At Volkswagen, he had helped shape the Concept One (precursor to the New Beetle), the Audi TT, and the Microbus show piece. "Sports cars from the '50s and '60s are my favorites," says von Holzhausen. "The competition began shortly after I attended the Monterey Historic Races in northern California, so superb Jaguar, Alfa-Romeo, and Cheetah designs were fresh in my mind."​

For the most part the designers, von Holzhausen included, submitted sketches of rakish roadsters adorned with chariot-sized wheels and rubber-band tires. But when Lutz sat down to review the hundreds of submissions, it was a flaming orange coupe that caught his attention. "On a whim, I tossed that sketch in at the last minute," von Holzhausen says.

Pontiac, which had just painfully announced that 2002 would be the last year of its 1960s-era muscle car, the Firebird, desperately needed a lift. So Lutz put the new concept car under Pontiac's imprint. None of the designers or engineers was particularly cheered when Pontiac proposed the name Solstice, but it stuck after more evocative suggestions failed legal department scrutiny.​

·
Premium Member
5,849 Posts
I really like the two-tone clay color. Hey, GM, do a market study; if there's enough response for it, make it available
(as a chick car) :lol:

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
anybody remember the old Saturday Night Live commercial parody for the "Adobe" the car made of clay?

toby

·
Registered
576 Posts
We need a book!

Given the items covered in this article and all of the rest of the activities, it would be great if someone wrote a book from an insiders perspective on what was happening each step of the way. Have it cover from Lutz coming on board to the first non-EOP being delivered to a customer.

I am sure it would make great reading. This article was great, but it only wet my appetite!
:yesnod: :cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts