Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, My name is Rob, I'm 21 and am looking to purchase my second car, which is what lead me to this forum.

I have been going crazy searching potential performance mods, reliability, and other things to add to the Solstice that I haven't purchased yet and have been visiting this site quite often. I figured I would join now as it seems this car will soon become my dd. I took a test drive last week and absolutely loved the car and was convinced I had to have it! Currently I drive a 2000 Grand Marquis, which I have customized to my taste; but it is time for something more fun, quicker and with a greater market for enhancing performance. I have put a lot of time and money into the Marquis (which I wish I had now to put into the GXP) and love the car, but it is not for me anymore.

The car is a Mysterious Black 2008 Solstice GXP 5 speed with 30,000 miles that was taken in on trade at the dealership my dad works with. He is the used manager/buyer so I am able to purchase the car at a great price. I will post pictures of the Solstice as soon as I get it in my driveway, but for now here are a few of what I will be replacing.

I am very excited about moving into something new and look forward to becoming apart of a community who share the same enthusiasm for the Kappa cars!

·
Premium Member
1,755 Posts
Welcome to the 'club'. Good choice of car and color (what else could I say?). Where are you located? What mods are you considering?

·
Super Moderator
16,390 Posts
:willy:Welcome aboard. The mod bug is a dangerous one to catch! Just ask us ;)

:brentil:

Which brings to mind . . . where is Brentil these days? No word since April???

Time for a health and welfare check!:thumbs:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the welcome guys! I do like the color a lot, normally I would stay away from black due to it being less forgiving, but this whole thing just fell into my lap and I couldn't pass it up. Im in Denton, TX, I wasn't able to edit my profile yet because I was still being approved.

As for mods, I plan to keep it light, at least I say that now and did with the Merc. I'm thinking of a cat back exhaust, lowering springs and a tune to start and go with that for awhile. That leads me to a few questions: I'm highly considering the trifecta tune, but am not sure if I would be better off with the budget tune or full version? I'm reading through the thread about it so hopefully I'll get some good info, but if anyone has any suggestions that would be great! I will probably just stick with exhaust as far as performance mods for a while. I just want to enjoy the car and not get in too deep right away.

For exhaust I'm looking at magnaflow, the price can't be beat on amazon at $468. I don't want anything too loud because I changed exhaust 4 times on the Merc just to get rid of drone.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey fellow Texan! (Austin here)
Sounds like you're gonna land a nice ride on a great deal.
Enjoy!
(post pics!)
Hello there, thank you for the welcome! I am very excited about the new ride and will definitely post pictures as soon as I bring it home. I'm trying to sell my Merc first, rather than trading it in because I know I won't get nearly as much that way. The dealership is holding the Solstice for me, so I'll have until the end of next week. If I don't sell I'll settle with trading the Merc.

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
Welcome to silver! (Does the name change to blackfox08 once the Sol's in your posession?)

And don't worry about anybody on the forum giving information or opinions on modifications. It's like any other addiction. The addict, in an attempt to justify his or her own behavior, will try to get others addicted. This is an attempt to rationalize the behavior as "normal" instead of it being the exception.

Personally I'm still in the "experimental" phase of this particular drug. I see the financial and emotional impact it has upon other members here and even the insatiable appetite that some have developed and I know I should abstain, but dammit, some of these look like they're just too much fun! :lol:

The Solstice is a ball to drive isn't it?

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
To answer your Trifecta question, if you are stock except for exhaust, the budget tune will work fine and get 95 to 100% of the power of the premium tune.
I have installed several budget tunes including on my own vehicle and they run great. Several times, I have installed the premium tune for a customer, datalogged and not needed to make any adjustment which essentially makes it a budget tune.
All that being said, for the extra $90, I would get the premium tune that provides datalogging. The datalog will confirm that there is nothing unexpected with your particular vehicle and it running optimally.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Welcome to silver! (Does the name change to blackfox08 once the Sol's in your posession?)

And don't worry about anybody on the forum giving information or opinions on modifications. It's like any other addiction. The addict, in an attempt to justify his or her own behavior, will try to get others addicted. This is an attempt to rationalize the behavior as "normal" instead of it being the exception.

Personally I'm still in the "experimental" phase of this particular drug. I see the financial and emotional impact it has upon other members here and even the insatiable appetite that some have developed and I know I should abstain, but dammit, some of these look like they're just too much fun! :lol:

I thought about the name actually, I will no longer have silverfox, so maybe it will change. For some reason I dubbed the Marquis Silverfox because it was an old person's car and the name just stuck.

I know all too well about becoming addicting to modding a car, as was reaffirmed the other night when I tallied up every receipt from all of the work and other mods I have done to the Merc. The total was much more than I would have liked.

I am going back today just to drive the Solstice again because it was blast! I can't wait until I am able to drive this car on a daily basis and enjoy the great weather that will be coming up here in TX.

To answer your Trifecta question, if you are stock except for exhaust, the budget tune will work fine and get 95 to 100% of the power of the premium tune.
I have installed several budget tunes including on my own vehicle and they run great. Several times, I have installed the premium tune for a customer, datalogged and not needed to make any adjustment which essentially makes it a budget tune.
All that being said, for the extra $90, I would get the premium tune that provides datalogging. The datalog will confirm that there is nothing unexpected with your particular vehicle and it running optimally.
Thank you for the information on that. From researching the forum a bit I have found many people who agree that the budget tune is great for the money and will be perfect with minor mods such as exhaust, cai, etc. My thoughts were similar to what you mentioned, in just paying the slight extra cost for the premium. I didn't realize it was only $90 more. Maybe I was mistaken on how it works. The order is placed directly with Trifecta specifying what tune you want, the software is sent via email and the cable in the mail. Tune installed with cable and cable sent back for a refund of the $200? So does the premium tune just end up costing $300 once the cable is returned?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Something I noticed last time, so I snapped a picture today. Do all the cars come with bilstein dampers? I checked the other two on the lot and they both had them. I don't think they are adjustable, but that would be nice. This was the rear, but the front were the same.

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
Come on, Silver! You picked the name because you watched the movie "Grandma's Boy"!!! lol

·
Premium Member
1,755 Posts
As for mods, I plan to keep it light . . .
About the mods, don't pay any attention to chickenwire's warning. Come to the dark side. Individualize. Customize. Personalize.

Two mods that aren't all that pricey and give a lot of bang for the buck are DDM's Backbone and the ProBeam. Personally, I already have go-fast mods enough to easily collect reams of speeding citations in short order, but my mods for better handling and stickier cornering give me much pleasure with less risk from John Law.

. . . And don't worry about anybody on the forum giving information or opinions on modifications. It's like any other addiction. The addict, in an attempt to justify his or her own behavior, will try to get others addicted. This is an attempt to rationalize the behavior as "normal" instead of it being the exception.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Something I noticed last time, so I snapped a picture today. Do all the cars come with bilstein dampers? I checked the other two on the lot and they both had them. I don't think they are adjustable, but that would be nice. This was the rear, but the front were the same.

Yes, That's the stock shock arrangement. There are different levels. N/A, N/A ZOK which is the same as GXP, GXP ZOK

As for adjustable, I believe they can be set to slightly different heights by spinning the top spacer (blue rubber castle shaped )

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As for adjustable, I believe they can be set to slightly different heights by spinning the top spacer (blue rubber castle shaped )
That being said, will adjusting the spacer slightly lower the car or just stiffen the dampening?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The wait has been agonizing and I've been losing sleep over bringing the solstice home and it will finally happen tomorrow. I sold the Merc today so in another day I will be enjoying the great weather in the gxp. I'll post a few pictures when I get home.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Can't wait to see the pics.
I can't wait to take the car home! There will be plenty of pics ad well! I love these cars and am very happy that I looked into the gxp when I was searching. Hopefully I feel the same after driving the car everyday for at least the next 4 years!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts