Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry, But I've Just About Had Enough!

First, I want to apologize for the following frustration, but here goes.

WHAT IS GOING ON WITH SHIPMENT? My car was supposedly produced the week of July 18 (VIN 7). My dealer confirmed the VIN the following week, and then received an invoice last week or the week before, stating the shipment date would be August 11. (My dealer also warned me this could still mean the car was two weeks away from delivery). So today, still not hearing anything and being in a totally crappy mood from two days of a cold virus, I called the EOP headquarters to lodge a complaint, i.e. opinion, as to how horribly this entire project / experience has been. The woman stated that since I was in Ohio, she would imagine that my car would be here any day now (as in soon). She recommended that I call my dealer and ask that I have them contact the "Dealer Business Center" for the current status.

I called my dealer and conveyed what EOP HQ had told me, and my dealer agreed to call them, but (these are my words) don't expect it to be as reliable as UPS tracking. My dealer called me back within several minutes and told me, despite having an August 11 ship date, my car has yet to be loaded onto a transport truck. In other words, it's been sitting in the Wilmington plant parking lot baking in the sun (or soaking in the rain) for the past month!

Mr Lutz, if you or anyone with any answers is viewing this message, WHY is my car still sitting in the plant parking lot a month after being built, and a week after the invoice states it was shipped?

I then called my credit union to see if they would extend the fixed rate that they quoted, but the answer was "no". So if I cannot purchase the car by the 29th of this month, the interest rate will undoubtedly be higher. I then called EOP HQ to see who I could to speak to to lodge my concerns / complaints. After checking, they gave me the number of Pontiac Customer Service (800-762-2737). Pontiac, in turn, told me I needed to speak with Letesia Yates. I left a voice mail message stating my total discust (in a nice way, of course).

I want to thank you all for letting me get this off my chest. I really like this car, but I cannot believe that Ponitac has put us through so much crap and through so much (dare I say deception?). From day one, if they thought it would be September or later before this car got into or driveways, then say it! Don't come out with full-page advertising stating shipment begins on August 3 (inferring that full-blown shipment begins rather than a few select vehicles), when cars produced a month ago sit idle in Wilmington's holding lot waiting to be loaded to a transfer truck. The Solstice is going to have to be miles ahead of the competition to overcome the sour taste that I have at this moment. A ball cap and tee shirt only go so far when the days get shorter and shorter.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
...we're mad

Sol Deep said:

WHAT IS GOING ON WITH SHIPMENT?
and we aren't going to take it anymore!!! are we?
:cool:

·
Registered
182 Posts
They bragged it only took 27 months from drawing board to reality, they didn't tell us it would take another 12 months to build them and ship them out. :brentil:

·
Registered
212 Posts
ESERIES3 said:
They bragged it only took 27 months from drawing board to reality, they didn't tell us it would take another 12 months to build them and ship them out. :brentil:
The worst part about it was the timing of the Apprentice marketing push, only to find out a few weeks later that the whole thing would be delayed several months. Underpromise and overdeliver is apparently not in the GM lexicon.

·
5,641 Posts
danlbrau said:
The worst part about it was the timing of the Apprentice marketing push, only to find out a few weeks later that the whole thing would be delayed several months. Underpromise and overdeliver is apparently not in the GM lexicon.

Production was delayed 29 days.

And last I looked it is not October.

Pontiac redefined underpromise and overdeliver.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Small Dealer said:

Fair enough. But can you, or someone explain the shipping/transit process for those of us not familiar with the process. I would like to understand why it takes several weeks. Do the same trailers that pick up the cars at the plant drop them at dealers, or is there some sort of transfer station? I am located in SE PA and would have assumed that 1 week, at most would be required - what happens to the cars during the entire process?

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
SD, you have to admit the deliveries are coming in very slow considering shipping should have began around 8/5? Let's say shipping starts Monday 8/8 to skip the weekend ;)

·
5,641 Posts
pwaiting said:
Fair enough. But can you, or someone explain the shipping/transit process for those of us not familiar with the process. I would like to understand why it takes several weeks. Do the same trailers that pick up the cars at the plant drop them at dealers, or is there some sort of transfer station? I am located in SE PA and would have assumed that 1 week, at most would be required - what happens to the cars during the entire process?
Each part of the country will be different. And Pontiac hasn't had a car come out of that part of the country since the last "T1000" was delivered. SO I can't say how they get them out.

But it takes time to arrange and coordinate trucks and trains and people all over the country. I can only imagine it being some much harder when there is such a small volume being shipped.

It hasn't even be a week since the first cars were invoiced to dealers. Based on Pontiac's most recent product launches, 2005 G6 & SV6, 2006 G6 Coupe and 4 cylinder, I don't think it has been that long at all.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Small Dealer said:
Each part of the country will be different. And Pontiac hasn't had a car come out of that part of the country since the last "T1000" was delivered. SO I can't say how they get them out.

But it takes time to arrange and coordinate trucks and trains and people all over the country. I can only imagine it being some much harder when there is such a small volume being shipped.

It hasn't even be a week since the first cars were invoiced to dealers. Based on Pontiac's most recent product launches, 2005 G6 & SV6, 2006 G6 Coupe and 4 cylinder, I don't think it has been that long at all.
Thanks, but I wish you hadn't reminded me that this plant also made my first car, a Chevette "Scooter" (trust me it wasn't my choice) along with the T1000...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Maybe if they kept us more in the loop it would not be so frustrating. It should not be that hard to post a schedule that shows where we are in line for production and then post it on the web.

I am dying out here. I live in Utah and winter gets closer all the time.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
I guess SD is right, it hasn't been all that long (just feels like to those waiting).

Figure start of shipment last week and startup delays of a new process and all, guess this week is looking good (but only 3 days left ;) ).

I'm sure once they get going it will be like a snowball rolling down hill and Sols will be popping up all over.

·
5,641 Posts
pwaiting said:
Thanks, but I wish you hadn't reminded me that this plant also made my first car, a Chevette "Scooter" (trust me it wasn't my choice) along with the T1000...

:lol:

Now if I remember correctly, the "Scooter" was the inexpensive version of the Chevette. Decals instead of name plates, and even less interior trim-like no cargo cover. Right?

·
5,641 Posts
mceb said:
I guess SD is right, it hasn't been all that long (just feels like to those waiting).

Figure start of shipment last week and startup delays of a new process and all, guess this week is looking good (but only 3 days left ;) ).

I'm sure once they get going it will be like a snowball rolling down hill and Sols will be popping up all over.
Can't even imagine what you all are going through waiting. :willy: Just isn't the same when a buyer is waiting on a Bonneville. :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry. Hit a wrong key before my gripe was totally composed. Here is the full text.

WHAT IS GOING ON WITH SHIPMENT? My car was supposedly produced the week of July 18 (VIN 7). My dealer confirmed the VIN the following week, and then received an invoice last week or the week before, stating the shipment date would be August 11. (My dealer also warned me this could still mean the car was two weeks away from delivery). So today, still not hearing anything and being in a totally crappy mood from two days of a cold virus, I called the EOP headquarters to lodge a complaint, i.e. opinion, as to how horribly this entire project / experience has been. The woman stated that since I was in Ohio, she would imagine that my car would be here any day now (as in soon). She recommended that I call my dealer and ask that I have them contact the "Dealer Business Center" for the current status.

I called my dealer and conveyed what EOP HQ had told me, and my dealer agreed to call them, but (these are my words) don't expect it to be as reliable as UPS tracking. My dealer called me back within several minutes and told me, despite having an August 11 ship date, my car has yet to be loaded onto a transport truck. In other words, it's been sitting in the Wilmington plant parking lot baking in the sun (or soaking in the rain) for the past month!

Mr Lutz, if you or anyone with any answers is viewing this message, WHY is my car still sitting in the plant parking lot a month after being built, and a week after the invoice states it was shipped?

I then called my credit union to see if they would extend the fixed rate that they quoted, but the answer was "no". So if I cannot purchase the car by the 29th of this month, the interest rate will undoubtedly be higher. I then called EOP HQ to see who I could to speak to to lodge my concerns / complaints. After checking, they gave me the number of Pontiac Customer Service (800-762-2737). Pontiac, in turn, told me I needed to speak with Letesia Yates. I left a voice mail message stating my total discust (in a nice way, of course).

I want to thank you all for letting me get this off my chest. I really like this car, but I cannot believe that Ponitac has put us through so much crap and through so much (dare I say deception?). From day one, if they thought it would be September or later before this car got into or driveways, then say it! Don't come out with full-page advertising stating shipment begins on August 3 (inferring that full-blown shipment begins rather than a few select vehicles), when cars produced a month ago sit idle in Wilmington's holding lot waiting to be loaded to a transfer truck. The Solstice is going to have to be miles ahead of the competition to overcome the sour taste that I have at this moment. A ball cap and tee shirt only go so far when the days get shorter and shorter.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Sol Deep, wow that sucks it's not even loaded yet. I think you'll still make the 29th. Must have been something with the early cars they had to circle back around and fix/redo/check. Only reason I can see it's still there (probablly next to mine).

·
Registered
51 Posts
:cool:
Small Dealer said:
:lol:

Now if I remember correctly, the "Scooter" was the inexpensive version of the Chevette. Decals instead of name plates, and even less interior trim-like no cargo cover. Right?
You got it. The rear seat was an option, had no glove compartment door and the interior was mostly metal (nicely appointed with body-colored paint) with the occasional piece of plastic to cover sharp corners. She was a real looker - a real chick magnet.

·
Registered
271 Posts
If I had known back on April 15th the delays, slow shipping, ect... from GM I would already be driving a different car. I ordered the Solstice hoping it would be here in time for an anniversay present for my wife. Leave it to GM to have a great idea and then fall short on it. I have owned many GM cars but this one is getting frustrating before I even get to drive it.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Woah there! Not so fast, Bucko! GM has not broken their promises.

Small Dealer said:

Thanks, Small Dealer, for keeping us grounded.

We've had a thread like this about once every two weeks since April. It's been about 2 weeks since the last erruption of this type of thread, so we were due.

Regarding the under promise, over deliver, Pontiac definitely under promised saying that they would deliver the first 1000 by 4th quarter (October) 180 days from when the order was placed. So far they're on track to have them done before the end of September. Yup, sounds like under promise-over deliver to me.

NOW, for a dose of reality: We're seeing VIN numbers in the high 300's! That means that they're roughly 1/3 of the way through the 1st 1000. This means that they will be getting started on the first 4 month allocation units much sooner than the beginning of November (as they told us when the first consensus cycle occured).

Folks, I know it's frustrating, and the wait is wearing on all of us, but let's just step back and let GM work steadily to build our cars.

Most of all, let's not verbally punish GM on this forum for something they did not do. Specifically, at the time of the promotion, they said "Available Summer 2005", and they've shipped the first units before September 21 (the official end of Summer). So, it looks like they lived up to that "promise."

When they called the 1st 1000 folks back, they said 4th quarter 2005 meaning October or later. Based on what we see VIN number wise, they'll beat October. So, it looks like they "over delivered" on that "promise."

When they went through the first consensus cycle in June, they set everyone's expectations for the end of the calendar year. As far as I can tell, they'll beat that, but what they "promised" was December. So, they haven't broken that "promise" either.

By the way, I don't have a target production week yet, so I'm right there with you, but I have a more Zen approach, and I believe that the car will arrive in good time, when it's supposed to arrive.... :cool:

·
Registered
528 Posts
Sol Deep said:
WHAT IS GOING ON WITH SHIPMENT? My car was supposedly produced the week of July 18 (VIN 7). My dealer confirmed the VIN the following week, and then received an invoice last week
Let's hope two GM Engineers don't knock on your door tomorrow and begin a speech with "Are you Sol Deep, the owner of VIN 007? We are sorry to inform you..." :(

1 - 20 of 104 Posts