Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I have never owned a convertible, yet I am going to buy the Solstice. My question is how sound proof are convertibles? I like to play my music fairly loud and I am concerned as to how well other cars/people will be able to hear it. As it is I get stared at all the time in my Mazda3, which seems to be very un sound proof and it has just a stock stereo. I was just wondering about other peoples' past experiences who own a convertible. I dont want to keep getting stared at or even pulled over for having my music loud. any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
Not sound proof at all.

In my Fiat Spyder sound traveled VERY far. You can add dynamat or othe sound proofing to your doors, trunk, and floors. This does two things, It helps(not eliminate) road noise, and your stereo noise, but it also makes your sound system sound much much better!

The big draw back of a convertible and sound systems in the lack of deep bass. Most cars act as other resonance chamber increasing the DB and therefore enhance the bass. But with a convertible you dont have that effect because the car is open to the world. You will never see a convertible in a DB contest. If you have a sub/subs in a convertible I have found it best to put them into a ported enclosure and port directly into the cabin.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Other people will hear your tunes. When you have cloth for a roof, there is only so much sound you can keep bottled up inside. Idf you have the top down, you can forget keeping the sound inside.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Another solution to keeping bass in a convertible is to build your enclosure with a loading panel. I've been out of the business for over 10 years now, so I can't describe the ins and outs of how or why it works, but it does. As for soundproofing, someone posted awhile ago that the solstice will supposedly use laminated glass for all of the glass panels, that'll help. If the convertible top has a headliner as well (doubtful, this is usually only found on high-end convertibles) that'll help attenuate the highs. As suggested, asphault mat or even sprayed in sound deadening materials help too. Personally, I'm not about to add any more weight than necessary. I'll probably not even really upgrade the sounds in mine at all... except for maybe adding a supercharger. That's all the sound I'll need!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hey, I was thinking about upgraded audio as well, however give the trunk space and lack of room elsewhere I think we will have to stick with upgrades speakers in the car with a small amp (tucked somwhere). I would say Bass is pretty much out any way you look at it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have seen in several mr2's with subs mounted directly behind the seat. Is there any word that the seats will allow this? Im not looking to win any competitions, but I would like to "feel" the bass every once and a while.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
themozztik said:
I have seen in several mr2's with subs mounted directly behind the seat. Is there any word that the seats will allow this? Im not looking to win any competitions, but I would like to "feel" the bass every once and a while.
Until we actually have the car in hand, it's going to be hard to tell. Probably not easily. There does appear to be at least one compartment behind the passanger's seat (maybe two) that might be useful for stuffing in a "stealthbox" style enclosure. More than likely will only fit an 8"-er, if that. Other than that, you can use up what precious little real estate there is in the trunk, or start hacking into the sheetmetal to build enclosures out behind the rear bulkhead (assuming the gas tank isn't there). But that won't be cheap or easy.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Do they still make (comparatively) little base speakers that mount under the seats? Think they would be perfect for an open roadster.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
speakers in seats

Lets get Ff88 to chime in but I think I remember seeing headrest speakers in the Fiero. It would certainly be a way to get the sound directly to the listener, with dual controls, one for each seat.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
DreamerDave said:
Yes. they were an option on the first Miata a few years after debut.
Yeah I saw one of those at the grocery store the other day. Unfortunetly the headrests looked pretty ugly, but I'm betting they were also 10+ years old. I bet someone in the aftermarket could easily make one.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
achieftain said:
Lets get Ff88 to chime in but I think I remember seeing headrest speakers in the Fiero. It would certainly be a way to get the sound directly to the listener, with dual controls, one for each seat.
You saw right! Some earlier Fieros did have headrest speakers. I think through 1986. The 87/88 cars moved the rear speakers into the sail panels.

The headrest speakers are fun because you get that pounding base sensation through the seat, although they are not very big speakers and a pain to replace! (Have to rep the upholstery off!).

·
5,600 Posts
achieftain said:
Lets get Ff88 to chime in but I think I remember seeing headrest speakers in the Fiero.
The Honda S2000 offers headrest speakers.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Something else to think about. The road noise from the rear tires since they are so close to the seating. I have heard others complain about this in much more expensive two seaters. If you like music I would go for the stereo upgrade.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I owned a 2000 Corvette convertible. Do not be so concerned about the road noise. A rag top cures all!!!! :cool:

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
The Mayor said:
I owned a 2000 Corvette convertible. Do not be so concerned about the road noise. A rag top cures all!!!! :cool:
Real audiophiles are always concerned about road noise! :lol: For the rest of us, just being able to throw the top down is worth it! :cool:

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Real audiophiles are always concerned about road noise! :lol:
Real audiophiles stay home to listen to music! A car, any car, is one of the worst possible enviroments for listening to music. A convertable is even more so.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
AeroDave said:
Real audiophiles stay home to listen to music! A car, any car, is one of the worst possible enviroments for listening to music. A convertable is even more so.
There are some very serious car audio people out there. :cool:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Fformula88 said:
There are some very serious car audio people out there. :cool:
Big difference between audiofile and serious car audio people. Audiofiles are concerned with reproducing it exactly like it sounded when it was recorded. Car audio is about getting it loud and proud. Ballance the bass with a little mid and high range and let it pound. I have always been a headbanger and can certianly understand both.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts