Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, the last of my stuff arrived this morning. oh, oh, oh, oh. I originally was going to just swap out the 8 for a 10 but decided to change out all speakers and replace the monsoon amp with something that has a bit more authoriti:). RF R300-4. oh, oh ( my Tim Allen impression ) Going with RF 6.5 in the doors and RF 4in in the back panels. I got the passengers side rear panel prepped last night and will do the drivers today. I ended up trimming the posts and cutting out some of the base so the larger speaker can flow easier. I used some 1/4in masonite to make the base and used JB weld so secure it to the panel. this way I can use screws to mount the speaker. imagine that. photo's later today. I'm having to work my second job at the office this weekend so I doubt I'll get it all done but will keep you posted along the way. for now, enjoy this teaser.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yep, and the wife knows not to bother me if she see's a dremil tool in one hand and a beer in the other. Here's the modded panel, ready for the 4in.
[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
Are you an iphone user? Alpine has a unit with Siri integration that I was looking at for a different project.

Not sure what you want the carputer to do but my personal belief is that since the technologies change faster than you will want to tear your dash apart to just make the screen a dumb display dependent on your smartphone tablet for what to show. Essentially just an extended second touchscreen display.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Your idea and implementation for upgrading sound system is awesome. It is not easy but you did it and going rock and roll at the same time. You will have fun and entertainment. Cheers!

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rob,

I put a double din touch screen with a DVD and GPS in my sons Nissan Frontier and it worked great, was one of the cheaper versions though but we had no problems. had the jack for the back up camera too. You just got to go with a brand you trust and read the reviews. I'll take a look and see what's out there. I'll probably eventually end up getting one for mine too. well, breaks over, back to knocking out the wall. I'm at work today and the boss wanted to give one of the engineers a bigger office. fine by me. My 2lb sledge has been very happy today.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, everything is going in this weekend. Still have to work but there's enough of a gap in my schedule for me to knock it out. Hopefully come Monday I'll have plenty of photo's and some how to's to post. Got the other 4in done and in and the difference in sound is awesome. they need more power than the stock 3.5's but the new amp will take care of that:) I tell you, those rear speakers can make or break a system. they should have used better quality and they needed their own tweets. even if you bought better 3.5's they would make a difference but you have to get the ones with 4 mounts or they will not work. I have 2 left over pioneer 3.5's and they are not a direct fit. gonna put them in the 06 but it will require some finess. I'll do a write up on that seperatly when I get around to that.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well, I did not get to work on it like I had hoped. I did do the drivers side door and had a few problems. I'll do the other and post the write up on it. I also have photo's of the other rear and I will do instructions for mounting a 4in. I'll do the amps and sub this weekend.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's the write-up for converting the rear speakers to 4in. first ofcourse you have to get the thing off but it all just snaps off. I used a long screw driver and unsnapped the clips at the base as you can crack it just by pulling on it. HF has a panel tool and I'm gonna get one the next time I'm there.

Once the speaker is off, you have to remove the posts and the lip towards the bottom. everywhere in green is what I removed:

I used a dremil tool with a cutoff wheel and then sanded it all smooth.

once it's all smooth and roughened up a little so the glue will stick you are ready to mount the adapter. I made mine out of 1/4 in masonite or whatever it's called

measured and ready to install

I used JB weld clear and glued both surfaces and then stuck it on.

after 10 min it was solid as a rock and I painted it with some flat black and used the original 3 screws plus another I had lying around. I screwed the screws in and then removed them and put a couple drops of super glue in the holes and then screwed them down tight.

that's it. I could not use the grills as they are too big and the panel is curved. I like the stock look anyway. no sense in advertising.

the new speakers are about the same height and the mahnets are about the same and as long as your adapter is thin and close to the size of the mounting holes, it will fit back on the car with no problems. will post the door speakers next and soon, the Bass!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Never understood why some people go through so much work and $$$$ to upgrade rear fill speakers...especially in a Solsti where they fire directly into the seats.

THAT being said...you are doing a fantastic job thus far. Keep em coming!

Question......can you let me know if that JW Weld discolors over time? Like....tomorrow...the next day....or if it stays clear...

I'd appreciate it!

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've used that clear JB weld before and it stays clear. I used some on my daughter in laws radiator and it was still clear a month after I applied it. it's the 3 minute epoxy's that will yellow. I spent $40 on the rear speakers and a good hour on each and the difference in sound is more than worth it. same will go for the 10 in sub. that will be a night and day improvement.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just changed those, went with Fosgate Punch 6.5 in. will add them to the write up later this week. The rear speakers do make a difference and having something with a built in tweeter adds to the improvement. I debated changing them at first and then I took Rob's advise and faded the stereo to just the fronts and drove around and you will miss them if they are not there. they don't have to be loud, just crisp and clean.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.