Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry guys that I'm just asking questions here, but my free time is limited, and I love this car. For that price, and the pictures of the interior I've seen, it doesn't look like any kind of sound system is standard. It will probaly be offered as an option, but at what added cost to that moderately affordable 20K we all love?

---sorry, should be in technical, but know what....everyone reads it all anyway!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yes a sound system is standard.

I believe that to be fact because a preview I read mentioned an "UPGRADED stereo system" as one of the "few options" on the car.

So not only will a sound system will be standard, but somehow, it can be expanded upon. I'm assuming the double-din HU would be accomodating to a 6 disc changer, and the speakers themselves could be upgraded... so that is the likely upgrade.

Typically an "upgraded" audio system would include a subwoofer and amp or more speakers... not sure where the are going to fit any of those!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I just hope that there is room for an aftermarket subwoofer. Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not one of those guys you hear from a mile away. But I do enjoy the full range of sound from a piece of music. And I haven't found a stock system that will do that as well as one of my aftermarket set-ups. And I'm only talking about $400 of equipment, not $1000's.

And besides, you usually need a little more punch from your sound system when you're talking about convertables.

I'm thinking
Pioneer 3600 deck $160-180
Four Poineer 4x6 $80(4) Depends on stock sizes.
Sony Xplode 10" sub (1) $50-70
Sony Xplode 225-270 Amp Bridgeable. $140-170

This is what I have in my 96 Ranger Splash and everyone tells me it has incredible range. If course the bass is strong with only one woofer, but it's a standard cab ranger. Its like putting Dolby surround sound in your bathroom. :lol Now that's an interesting thought.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Good luck on fitting a 10 inch sub enclosure (and an amp) in the Solstice...

Another option (and perhaps the only one considering the size of the car), would be a unit like the Infinity Basslink or the Kenwood WooX. These are powered 8-10" Subs (no need for an external amp). It's not going to shake your car, but I believe they are even smaller than a boxed 10" sub. If there isn't enough room for even that, Clarion makes a similar unit that is about half this size (and 1/4th the quality). So there should be SOME option to get a little bass.

Good enough to take the LFE away from the speakers, so you'll get a more crisp sound, and enough bass for anyone in the car. Just none for the neighborhood.

I was going to get one for my Scion, because there isn't much of a trunk to that car. I've been told they fit under the seat of most cars.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
There will be some sort of standard stereo. Standard audio systems in cars do not cost automakers much at all. Even the lowliest Cavaliers come standard with stereos these days.

A couple years back I knew a Chevy salesman who told me a story about an older woman who insisted on buying a Cavalier without a radio. She simply would not buy it with a radio in it, explaining she never used it. To make the sale, he ended up having to actually take the car back to the service department and have them pull the radio out,leaving a gaping hole in the dash. This satisfied the woman who then bought the car, without even asking for a discount off the price! :crazy It was a great story! :lol

There is 2-4 cubic feet of trunk space, and I am sure some people will find a way to fill it up with audio equipment! Maybe you could cut a hole in the decklid and fit a big subwoofer in that. The trunk would act as the enclosure! :lol

·
Registered
179 Posts
I like the idea of a "radio delete" option.

I'm not one of those obsessed speed freaks that pulls the stereo (and shaves all of his body hair) to reduce the weight of the car. Isn't a high-end version of the WRX available with the radio removed as a FEATURE?

For me the radio delete option could give me back some cash to put towards a new HU that I'm likely going to upgrade shortly after I buy any car.

I found it interesting that Scions come to the dealer without a HU. My test drive involved a car with a giant hole in the dash! This allows the customer to determine if they want a single-disc or 6-disc, so it's more like a choice, not an upgrade. I think it's a good idea, although "no radio" as an option that lowers the price would be ideal.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
For me I will be sticking with what ever the factory radio is. I might go for the upgrade, dependes on what it is. After years of having aftermarket radios, I am sick of having to worry about theft in the urban area I live in. I also find them to be less reliable than the factory systems. The inside of a car is the worst possible enviroment to truely listen to music, and so to me it's just not worth the money to try to get it to sound like a theater. To me, music in a car is background entertainment, and I find that most factory systems are plenty for that role. A disk changer would be nice.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Especially considering the Solstice is meant for driving more than being a mobile studio, I agree with Aerodave. Most of the cars I've owned in the past had nothing to speak for in the performance department, and I always disagreed with the attitude that you should mod out a Civic or Cavalier (or worse, a Scion xB) to be a streetlight racer (which I don't condone either).

So to me, ICE mods are the most fun for those types of cars. This whole stereo discussion really relates to one of the lesser thought about features of the Solstice. But hey, with the drought of news on the Solstice, I'm sure we will be beating a lot of dead horses as we discuss every part of the car.

Anyone know what size the windshield wipers are and where the washer fluid will dispense from? :jester

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
I'd love to have an MP3 format player - like the one I saw in a VUE.

You can pack a sh%tload of music in MP3 format on a CD.

Probably XM hardware upgrade as well - like available on the Cobalt?

·
Registered
37 Posts
If XM is an option, I'll probably get it. Then, a 6 disc changer isn't as important, since there always are dozens of CD-quality stations to choose from. Not to mention that I sometimes go places without good radio stations, and I am bad about remembering to bring multiple CDs.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Solstice006 said:
If XM is an option, I'll probably get it. Then, a 6 disc changer isn't as important, since there always are dozens of CD-quality stations to choose from. Not to mention that I sometimes go places without good radio stations, and I am bad about remembering to bring multiple CDs.
i'd suggest not getting XM from the factory. ive never seen a car that wasnt uglified by the "rhino horn" antenna. and, all the guys i know who run XM with the antenna either on dash or parcel shelf rarely ever complain about poor reception.

i just hope for you stereo guys that you wont need to relocate the stock HU to the trunk or under the seat in order to run an aftermarket HU. :yesnod

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Top down, country road, sounds of air rushing buy, exhaust notes from the "SOLE" AHHHHH great sounds!

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
I could get a GRIP :D on that

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
naoki said:
I like the idea of a "radio delete" option.

I'm not one of those obsessed speed freaks that pulls the stereo (and shaves all of his body hair) to reduce the weight of the car. Isn't a high-end version of the WRX available with the radio removed as a FEATURE?
The WRX, STi was being shipped to dealers without a stereo system included in the car for MY 2004. However, they have put the radio back in for MY 2005. I think the problem was that a lot of buyers expected some kind of radio for their $32K dollars, even though the Subaru stock radios are basically worthless for anything beyond casual listening. Then the dealers were gouging customers who wanted a system installed, charging $1000 or more to put that lousy Subaru system into the car. Just crazy!

So they decided to include it this year, and anyone who is really interested in having the weight savings will have to toss it out.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I agree with many on this thread. Plan on keeping whatever comes as base model but might go so far as to buy the upgrade factory option. Remember, this is a roadster. I will often be leaving it parked with the top down and don't want a high end "bling" HU, just sitting there, as too much of a temptation to those checking out my cool new ride. Just trying to keep the honest people honest. And I don't want to entice the dishonest to slash the top.

And if, by some chance, a little rain should fall, replacing the radio would be low on my list. Those aftermarket that are made for "marine environments" are either white or look like they should say JEEP across the face!

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
DreamerDave said:
And if, by some chance, a little rain should fall, replacing the radio would be low on my list. Those aftermarket that are made for "marine environments" are either white or look like they should say JEEP across the face!
My Jeep's head unit will be just as valuable in a rainstorm as any other cars... it will be fried. My Jeep is designed with rubber drain plugs in the floor pans so they can be emptied of any accumulated water and the carpeting can be yanked out in no time. Great forethought by Jeep, until they got to the radio and speakers. With cardboard speaker cones and just a stock Chrysler head unit, they both will be toast in water.

Still, I will not put a fancy aftermarket head unit in any convertable. Its just too much of an invite for a thief to reach in and take it. If you try to secure it with the top up, they will take the radio anyway AND slice your top. No thanks.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts