Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm adding an aftermarket HU and the AX-GMLAN11-SWC which allows you to retain factory XM by routing the display to the DIC; however, the instructions say you have to have a SOURCE button on your steering wheel controls to make this work...

So that leads me to my questions:
1. Since these buttons are based on a resistor ladder, is there anyone with a clever idea on how to get around not having a SOURCE button on the steering wheel?
2. If #1 isn't possible, can I swap out the steering wheel or controls for another GM model?

Edit: I don't have on-star so when I push and hold the mute button for 2s, it's the same as if I pushed it quickly. I'm not sure if there's anyway to tap into that press and hold functionality with a resistor to mimic pressing and holding the SOURCE button.

Here are the instructions showing the requirement:

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'll also add that the module claims to work with these cars but as far as I can tell from an image search, they all use the same steering wheel controls and none of a SOURCE button:

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I've contacted Metra and they don't seem to know what they're talking about. They insist that the GM cars in the list have to come with a SOURCE button on the steering wheel if they had factory XM and I've told them that's not true. In fact, the only GM vehicles I know with the SOURCE button are pickups and SUVs.

Metra Technical Support response:
Not all GM vehicles came with XM from the factory and the ones that did come with it XM would have to have the source button in order for it to work, those buttons on the vehicle work off of a positive resistance.
@Small Dealer: Any ideas, oh wise one? :bow:

·
Premium Member
10,330 Posts
The XM feature was an option at least for 2006 and 2007, not sure about the other years.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The XM feature was an option at least for 2006 and 2007, not sure about the other years.
Agree but none of the years come with SWC that have a SOURCE button even when XM was default. Every one of the cars listed uses more or less the exact same steering wheel/SWCs if they have them. I've yet to find any example of a SOURCE button on anything except the following which the module is not made for:

07 – Present – Buick Enclave CX & CXL
07 – Present – Chevy Avalanche LT & LTZ
07 – Present – Chevy Silverado LT & LTZ
07 – Present – Chevy Suburban LT & LTZ
07 – Present – Chevy Tahoe LT & LTZ
09 – Present – Chevy Traverse LT & LTZ
07 – Present – GMC Acadia SLE, SLT & Denali
07 – Present – GMC Sierra SLE, SLT & Denali
07 – Present – GMC Yukon & Yukon XL SLE, SLT & Denali
09 – 2011 – Saturn Outlook XR
09 – 2011 – Hummer H2

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He hasn't been on the forum for many, many moons. Don't expect a reply.

:dunno:

:surprise: And here I was planning to go back to Metra and tell them a GM dealer said they were wrong.

·
Super Moderator
6,262 Posts
The 2007 owner's manual does not include source selection in the available steering wheel functions.
The available functions are radio station/CD track forward/reverse, volume up/down, and mute/OnStar activation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts