Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering putting some thin spacers on my rear wheels.

This is not a cosmetic upgrade. Since I installed the Wilwood FSLs on the rear, there's about 1mm clearance between the calipers and stock wheels. (Literally. A piece of paper will fit between the caliper and wheel at it's closest point, but my thumbnail does not.)

I'm a little worried about a rock, bolt or similar getting picked up and finding its way in there, which would be bad.

So:

1. Any suggestions on spacers? I only need two, and would rather not spend $150.

2. Would I need to swap out the studs for ARP or similar?

·
Registered
96 Posts
If all you need to do is create a tiny bit more clearance, go on eBay and find some 3mm spacers (search "5x110 spacer"). You can find a pair for pretty cheap, probably $15-$20. A spacer that thin is not enough to require longer studs but it should get you the clearance you're looking for. Go any thicker than that and you need to start thinking about extended studs.

Chris

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome - thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Found a pair of 5mm for $12.00 shipped. :)

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Went ahead and ordered some studs. Because, why not. :/

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
After a lot of research and ordering the wrong studs, I went ahead and got the ARP set from DDM.

$150 seemed a bit steep since I could find other sets on Amazon for about $80 total. However, I had already spent more than $70 in time trying to save a few bucks, so I went ahead and ordered.
For those that are curious in the future, the ARP part number that I got from DDM is

ARP 100-7720
Mazda Miata 94-05 WSK

I'm not sure what the "WSK" means. One reason they're so expensive is that you need five sets (the Miata has 4-lug wheels, not 5-lug like the Solstice). Given that the sets of 4 go for $25-$35 online, $150 isn't a bad price at all.

Unlike some of the other ARP parts that have been mentioned, these are the correct, *exact* metric thread that is needed. The SAE kits (I think it's a 7702 or a 7708 - one of which has a too-small knurl for a Kappa hub) are probably "close enough," but I seem to remember it's off by like 0.5mm or so.

I initially suspected they'd just sent me the wrong kit (despite receiving 20 lugs instead of 16). Yesterday afternoon I installed the rear 10 lugs and everything fit perfectly.

Of course, in the process, I messed up an axle nut and threads on the driver's side axle. Going to grind it to a slightly-conical shape and put on a new nut (which you're technically supposed to do, anyway).

Oh, and for those that missed my other thread: you don't really have to buy open-ended lug nuts if you're cheap like me. Turns out that the stock lugs ARE open-ended, just with a cosmetic cap attached. Here's what one of mine looks like with the cap, errr...removed. It also conveniently makes the lug an 18mm (like some other bolts on the car) instead of a 19mm (like no other bolts on the car).

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts