Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a 2 Liter ecotec turbo engine , controlle by an mefi 4b . i put noid lights on the injector plugs and they light up , tested the resistance on the injectors and they are all 12.3 , took out the fuel rail , cranked the car and fuel squirted every where . Then i took out each plug hook up the coil to it , cranked the engine and there was spark in every plug . so only thing i could think of was the timing being off , did a compression test and i have 190 across , what do now ?

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Got air? Needs that too.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
You could remove the pipe to the airbox, put your hand over it, have someone crank the engine and see if you feel suction.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Hmmm, OK, when was the last time it was running and what happened, did it stop suddenly, where you hauling ass? Need more info bro. will it not fire at all? can you smell fuel on the plugs?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
last time i had it running was about 2 months ago , it took quite a few cranks to start but ran fine , and i drove it for like 5 minutes , not hard at all just normal driving . i just turned it off and put it in the garage . hasnt started since then , and yeah the plugs smell like gas when you take them out . it doesnt fire at all and after i stop cranking it , it just back fires very loud

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Black liquid sounds like oil, too much fouls plugs= no fire. Clean out all PCV lines and MAF sensor and as much of the intake system as you can.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dont think its oil , i think its soot and okk will do . im cleaning the plugs and everything right now . im also going to get starter fluid and take off the pipe by the throtle body then spray some in see if it runs , or ignites at least , any thoughts on that ?

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Put the 'pipe' back on before starting so MAF is involved. Just remembered, a bad MAF can prevent starting. Any DTCs?

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
How many miles do you have on it and what's the condition of the battery? does it barely turn over or does it turn pretty fast when you turn the key? and how much gas is in it and how old is that gas?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the ecu that the car has doesnt have an maf , and i cant read any dtcs with out the scanner , which is 1200 and really hard to find , this computer is a night mare . and the car has probably 800 miles , hasnt been driven much at all , the battery is in very good condition , it turns over pretty fast , and the gas is brand new , i changed the gas last week , cus i thought the gas in it was bad and it has about 15 liters of gas .

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Try disconnecting the electrical connectors to the injectors, crank it a few times to clear, the use starter fluid. If it runs you've got a flooding condition. If it doesn't I suspect the crank sensor is bad or the reluctor wheel has slipped.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
I was going to suggest removing all the spark plugs and turning the engine over a few times. then pour a couple tablespoons full of gas in each cylinder. Put the plugs back on and see if it will fire and run for a second without giving it gas. at least this way you can eliminate a major timing problem.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Disconnecting the fuel rail and squirting gas means nothing because if the fuel isn't at the proper pressure it's not going to start. You need a gauge to check the pressure at the fuel rail. You also need an obdII scanner to check for codes, they're cheap.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Harbor Frieght has one for $48 but you might be able to talk the guy at your local parts store to let you borrow one. Autozone has free tool rental but you have to leave a deposit. may be worth looking into and help speed up the diagnosis.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Is this still the motor that's in your car?

Under the hood, Simon Rowe from Rowetech Automotive in Oakville, Ontario was responsible for installing and tuning the 2.0L crate engine donated to the project by GM Performance Parts. Simon had the background, experience, and expertise to install the GM Performance Parts into the crate engine, including: LSJ Connecting Rods, Piston Set for LSJ Rods, Adjustable Cam Gears, High Performance Cam Set, Aluminum Fabricated Intake Manifold and Neutral Balance Shafts and a CTS-V Rear Differential (gear set).
I mean no offense, but it sounds like you're in over your head. Many of us have been there. In the end, this will be a great learning experience for you. Your best bet will be contacting the guy that's cited above as the builder of your engine. Good luck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the computer it has is not obd its mefi , which i will have to invest in buying a scanner soon , but today i sprayed starter fluid and it fires up then dies . so i guess its something to do with the fuel ? probably not the right pressure , just gota go buy a gauge . and could still be the timing ?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
and yup thats the motor in my car , and yeah i called rowetech but they havent returned my call . and they got a scanner for 48 ? because it might be the light scanner which is just a bulb that gives you the codes , i already made my own light and it gives me code 81 which can be like 5 different things . but yeah i will check autozone

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
and yeah no offense taken it is a big project and i have learned quite a bit so far but might be a bit too big for my knowledge , thanks fo all the help so far tho

1 - 20 of 20 Posts