Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my chevy prism (128,000 miles today), the only thing I really do myself is change the spark plugs. The rest I have Walmart do - rotate tires, change oil, wipers, & air filter. Changing brakes/timing belt I go to Midas. Coolant I go to whereever. I bought the socket and change my spark plugs which isn't bad after having a mechanic show me how to do it. Bit of a challenge cause the spark plugs are so deeply recessed & risk of stripping a plug if it doesn't get started right. Has anyone ever had a dealership show them this while they were buying the car? I'm thinking of having the dealer just show me how to do it while I'm buying it. Dealers seem more gracious before they have my money than after they have it.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Changing the plugs on an ecotec is fairly easy, because they're easy to access. However, since it is coil-on-plug ignition, you have to remove the coil pack/ignition module assembly to do so. It'll probably come with platinum-tipped plugs, which should last 100,000 miles anyway. I didn't believe it, but I have an ecotec in my current car, and I pulled the plugs at close to 60,000 miles to take a look. They looked good as new, and the gap was still right on!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2KWK4U said:
However, since it is coil-on-plug ignition, you have to remove the coil pack/ignition module assembly to do so.
2KWK4U Thanks for the info. Although not sure what the coil pack/ignition module assembly is? Going through my mind to let the dealer do it every 100,000 miles for $100 some odd dollars.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
I have a dealer in my area who holds a "clinic" for new car buyers. You come in, they show you around and have door prizes. They show you general maintenance items on peoples cars who came to the clinic. Also a mechanic will answer your questions and show you how to do things on your actual car.

It's neat, and helpful if you are not comfortable under the hood. Not sure how common place this is, but this is the first one I've come across.

·
Registered
182 Posts
rlhammon said:
I have a dealer in my area who holds a "clinic" for new car buyers. You come in, they show you around and have door prizes. They show you general maintenance items on peoples cars who came to the clinic. Also a mechanic will answer your questions and show you how to do things on your actual car.

It's neat, and helpful if you are not comfortable under the hood. Not sure how common place this is, but this is the first one I've come across.

That is a cool dealer. I wish I knew of a local dealer that did that. I am a fairly handy guy and I do all of the routine maintenance myself, but I would love to find a dealer that would walk me through some of the more advanced basics such as changing sensors and the like.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Doing a lot of the things you mentioned really is no sweat. You shouldn't have any problem cross threading a plug as long as you take it easy when you start them. Then, once they are going, ratchet them tight. If you get into doing some of your own repair work, you will get more used to it too.

That said, I generally take my vehicles to a quick lube or dealer for things like oil changes, coolant changes, etc, so I don't have to deal with the hassle of working under the car and disposing of the used fluids.

Last summer I replaced a torque converter solenoid in my transmission! :eek: I was nervous doing it, but even that ended up being fairly easy, and I managed to do it without making any new problems! :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Doing a lot of the things you mentioned really is no sweat. You shouldn't have any problem cross threading a plug as long as you take it easy when you start them. Then, once they are going, ratchet them tight. If you get into doing some of your own repair work, you will get more used to it too.

That said, I generally take my vehicles to a quick lube or dealer for things like oil changes, coolant changes, etc, so I don't have to deal with the hassle of working under the car and disposing of the used fluids.

Last summer I replaced a torque converter solenoid in my transmission! :eek: I was nervous doing it, but even that ended up being fairly easy, and I managed to do it without making any new problems! :lol:
Now this all assumes they learned their lesson from the Monza where the engine mounts had to be removed and the engine dropped a few inches to change the plugs. :willy:

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
achieftain said:
Now this all assumes they learned their lesson from the Monza where the engine mounts had to be removed and the engine dropped a few inches to change the plugs. :willy:
LOL, I hope the Solstice doesn't have that problem! :lol:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just changed plugs in my 2007 Sky. Very easy. Module is on top of motor. Just need a good smaller spark plug socket and a long extension. Take the module off and pull the pack up and off. Then the plug is pretty deep in but easy. One of the easiest cars to change plugs on. Actually a lot of the maintenance is very easy on the sky.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts