Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to see what spark plugs that are in the GXP so I could buy the replacements and I can't seem to locate them where I think they should be. Are they behind the turbo shielding? Please tell me they are not and you can get to them relatively easy...

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,480 Posts
The spark plugs are top center of the engine between the cam covers. You need to remove the engine cover, a bunch of insulation, and then you should see 4 coil packs, which in turn are located above the spark plugs.

The coil pack is #721: Spark plug is #717:

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Arggg (slaps forehead) wonders just how bad they REALLY need changed now...sigh

Do you reuse the gasket?

BTW Thanks...

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Should take you 1/2 hour...tops. An hour if you aren't mechanical at all. Pull the top 'Ecotec' plastic cover off the top of the motor. Remove the heat sheilding material. Unscrew the bolt on top of the coil pack. Pull the coil pack directly straight up. Put your plug wrench down the deep hole (about 8") and unscrew the first plug. Then put the new plug in (be careful not to cross-thread the block). Put the coil pack back on and press down till it clicks. Screw down the one little bolt and star the next one until your done with all 4.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,480 Posts
Arggg (slaps forehead) wonders just how bad they REALLY need changed now...sigh

Do you reuse the gasket?

BTW Thanks...
You don't need to remove any gaskets. Remove the bolt from each of the coil packs and they lift off, The plugs are immediately underneath, removeable without removing the cam/valve/lifter cover.

I can see from the illustration what you were imagining.

If I can find a picture that shows it clearly I'll post, but that will not be an easy task.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Do you reuse the gasket?

BTW Thanks...
Ummmm.....what gasket? Just remove the grey plastic cover that says 'ECOTEC' on it. Just pull up on it, the rubber gromets will release and you will be left with a black material (part 512). Then remove the nut on the coil pack (721) and pull it out. Put the wrench down the hole and it's part 717 up there, but it's the spark plug. No need to pull the head apart!!!!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds easy enough...way to much trouble VS a V8 I have....Mechanically I can handle spark plugs....lol After all, I did change engines and install a new 6 speed manual and new 12 bolt all by myself in my MCSS..It just took me back a little, that I could not find the plugs...I knew it had them,(really hated to ask too) just how far buried was my concern..With the newer cars, it seems once you mess with them, the little pesky problems seem to pop up...

Thanks to all..

·
Premium Member
10,465 Posts
Please make sure you gap them at 32.
If you do not feel comfortable with doing this, at least find out if they are within 30 to 32.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
If you do not feel comfortable with doing this, at least find out if they are within 30 to 32.
They should be gapped at that already when you purchase them.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK I got to ask...why wouldn't I feel comfortable doing that?

I usually start at factory settings and then tweak anyway. I do check what they are currently gaped at and compare. Since the engine is still stock I should not have any problems......But Mr Murphy is always hanging around...

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They should be gapped at that already when you purchase them.
True
But the one time I trusted that, it had a miss...Well I guess somebody had dropped the box and closed the gap. Now I always check gap now before install and make sure they are all the same...

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
With the newer cars, it seems once you mess with them, the little pesky problems seem to pop up...

Thanks to all..
Wai until you have a clutch slave issue that would traditionally have been a half hour job on an external slave and find out you have to pull the transmission out.......

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
I second that Bill, I've had numerous 30 minute jobs that ended up taking a week. you just never know. I'd tape your extension to the plug socket and put some grease in the rubber insert. the last thing you want is that plug getting lodged in there at an angle or your socket.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wai until you have a clutch slave issue that would traditionally have been a half hour job on an external slave and find out you have to pull the transmission out.......
snicker snicker Automatic....No problems. :thumbs:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Quick question: I read a thread that stated if I have the GMPP tune then I should run a plug that is one step colder gapped at 32. I did and now I am getting the P0031 code. I guess I should find out if my car really has the tune, I just assumed it did because it has the GMPP CIA. Should I just put the correct plug in and see what happens? Should I gap the plug at 32 still? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
10,465 Posts
Mayhem.
Not everyone has mechanical skills, and is was not meant as a criticism.
Just some helpful information.

The_Ghost:
You cannot go on the assumption that they are correctly gap from the factory.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Mayhem.
Not everyone has mechanical skills, and is was not meant as a criticism.
LOL I never took it that way. I do realize nobody here knows me or just how mechanically inclined I am, thus some post assuming the worse, some assume other things. I know they are just here to try to help, and for that I am grateful to any insight, knowledge and expertise from the folks here. :thumbs: This car is new to us albeit we have only had it 2 years and by far the newest of the vehicles we have. Cars are getting more and more complicated to work on. I am an old school car guy. I worked on cars when they had points in them....Easy to diagnose and easy to fix and a helava lot cheaper to fix. Now when I have issues I hit the forums, then if needed I take it to the dealer let them tell what it is ($90 fee) but hey no guess work for me.

UPDATE: All went better than I expected. Boy those plugs have a small pointy electrode on them..

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
I have NEVER bought a plug and installed it without checking the gap first and most of the time, had to make an adjustment. You can use one of those round cam things but I prefer a feeler gauge set. the round ones with the pins are good though.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts