Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
since the solstice is built around the Saturn, and saturn uses 6 1/2 on all their cars(or majority)
will the solstice be using 6 1/2 all around too?

I know it's too soon, but I works for a retailer who can get very good price in speakers, I rather get them speakers for the car when I quit around May of 05... thx for your inputs

·
Registered
42 Posts
The solstice is not built around any saturn model, it's based on an entirely new small car rear drive architecture and will be the first model released on this kappa platform. They are expected to release a saturn kappa variant but it seems that it will most likely come out after the Solstice is released.

·
Registered
151 Posts
way too soon to know speaker sizes, we still don't know any production info yet, hell, it still hasn't gone into production! by may of '05 you might be able to find out though. i hope so at least! good luck

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Everyone is right. There was been no word on speaker size, exact location, or quantity. They are planning on a base radio and an upgrade system, so they must be planning to squeeze a few speakers of decent size into the car.

You'll probably have to wait until GM releases full specifications regarding the car. Hopefully that will come at the Detroit Auto Show, or soon after! :smile

·
Registered
42 Posts
General question on sound systems in roadsters here from someone whose never owned a convertible. In top down motoring can you get an appreciation for a good stereo system ie: is it really worth spending the money on this kind of upgrade or are you better off just appreciating the sound of the engine?

·
Registered
141 Posts
My Miata has the top of the line Bose system. I'm not impressed, either with the top up or down. I don't think the problem is caused by the car being a convertible; I think the system just isn't very good. I've heard that the older Miata system (with the speakers in the headrests) was very good.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
It's alot harder to get decent bass response in a convertible due to the loss of the phenomenon known as "cabin gain." Also, soft top convertibles tend to be more noisy going down the road than their hardtop counterparts. So already, you have alot more noise to compete with your sound system.

Top down, at speed you'd be hard-pressed to tell a $20,000 sound system from a $1,000 system. They'll both sound better than the factory system, in most cases, but you reach the point of diminishing returns much quicker in a convertible as far as money invested compared to notable gains in sound quality.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
When I had my Sebring, the one thing that I didn't expect was that the windows are much better at sound attentuation than the top. What this means is when you're driving down the freeway, the cars next to you are most noisy when they are in your blindspot, with the road noise coming in between the side windows and the rear window. Whenever I would get back into a coupe, I would almost run cars off the road if they were in my blind spot, I was used to hearing them instead of looking for them.

It also would surprise you when driving near an airport and a plane went over. It sounded like it was in the cabin with you.

And yes, I never could get decent bass out the system, even after upgrading the 4 six x nine speakers and adding power.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I have a convertible Jeep with Chrysler’s “top of the line” sound system in it (it was standard in the model I bought). It is top of the line for the Wrangler anyway. It is a 7 speaker system. The system is fine, but turning it up with the top down to cover other noises generally invites a lot of distortion. I would think the only good reason to get a high cost system in a convertible would be to avoid high volume distortion.

Now, the question then would be what is the best route to go for a distortion free system. I would think the same money spent in the aftermarket will get a much better system than buying an upgrade from the manufacturer. Most manufacturers extra cost stereo systems really are not all that good, even if they carry big name stereo companies brand names on them. I think it could make a difference in a convertible if you put some good stuff in the car. Even if its not a huge difference at highway speeds, most people don’t drive on the highway all the time either.

One other aspect to consider is the likelihood of theft. Good aftermarket systems can become targets for thieves, and convertibles are fairly easy to break into. Just slash the top if its up, or reach in if its down.

·
Registered
154 Posts
If you install aftermarket systems, generally the amps and changer go in the trunk. Just what this car needs is less trunk space!

·
Registered
284 Posts
palmer said:
My Miata has the top of the line Bose system. I'm not impressed, either with the top up or down. I don't think the problem is caused by the car being a convertible; I think the system just isn't very good. I've heard that the older Miata system (with the speakers in the headrests) was very good.
My Cousin has a Miata with the speakers in the headrest and cruising down the interstate at 70+ mph and the top down the sound is extremely clear and good. If they don't offer speakers in the headrest I'll be figuring out some way to make my own headrest speaker system.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
If you go to any local customization shop or car audio store you might be able to buy something aftermarket or have them make something for you. THEN if you're industrious enough you make a business deal with them to be your production house and sell the product after market to all the other Solstice owners :D

·
Registered
189 Posts
I believe its infinity that makes a very compact ( 6" deep) subwoofer system that I was thinking about getting, this will give me a bit of bump in my trunk with the limited space, apart from that if the stock sound system just wasnt doing it for me Id probably switch up to a nice Infinity kappa system.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-JayEXTkayit/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=51000&I=108BASSLT

Heres the info on that little baby, at $500 its fairly steep but I think it can give me what I want

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
waiting said:
If you install aftermarket systems, generally the amps and changer go in the trunk. Just what this car needs is less trunk space!
I agree that trunk space is at a premium. However with careful selection of equipment and a little ingenuity, you may be able to conserve trunk space by locating components elsewhere. Amps may fit behind or under the seats. Same for a disk changer. Also, I would imagine more aftermarket in dash disk changers will eventually be hitting the market too, which would eliminate the need for a separate changer elsewhere. They sure are one nice option of sticking with factory sound!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts