Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a Sol forum, and not a miata forum, but thought you all could drool over what you can do with your new toys when they arrive!

A forum friend on mazda-speed.com forum posted this video, NOTE the warning that it's not PG13 at the very end:

source TonyLop33:

***Warning*** there is some foul language after the credits at the end. You have been warned.
It is a big file or download if you go that route. 50mb, recommend downloading and playing locally with no youngsters around due to language
Tony

http://www.donutzms.com/video/sm_highlights.mpg

RODEO

·
Registered
120 Posts
omg, I *so* want to get in to this! Rodeo, are you involved in this series or have you seen any races in person?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Nice video. For more videos see here: http://www.specmiatavideos.com

The crash videos on that site are pretty awesome, cars flipping over each other, pileups, etc :)

I've been to one of the spec miata races at Limerock, it was great. The events included Formula BMW, Formula Ford (?), Speed GT World Cup, and the Spec Miata Cup.

The practice for the spec miata race was more exciting than all the other events of the day. I was seated at the S turns after the long straightaway and the miatas go 3 wide through the S's bumper to bumper. It was awesome. The Speed GT cars looked slower through the turns are were kind of boring to watch because there wasn't much overtaking in the turns.

I think I'm going to buy the new miata and turn my current miata into a spec miata car... :)

·
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that link JonAqua! It will keep me entertained today!

I'm still learning a lot of this jargon, mind a question, what's a spec miata?

I know I could look it up, but what fun is that :lol:

·
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
tcl said:
That video of Hans Stuck in the M3 is amazing.
NO DOUBT! Hans is the man! Was his car really fast, or were those porsches driven by amatuers? :lol:

·
Registered
16 Posts
From the spec miata home page:

"The Spec Miata class is designed to provide an affordable nationwide class in which all regions are using basically the same rules and regulations. This allows for crossover Division to Division racing with a year end championship event of all Divisions. Spec Miatas currently race both sprints and enduros where available.

The 1990-1993 1600cc and 1994-1997 1800cc Mazda Miatas have been approved by the SCCA for regional racing in all Divisions. The cars will be using a Bilstein shock with an adjustable coil-over suspension with Eibach springs and sway bars (front and rear, adjustable), steel braided brake lines. Toyo, Kumho and now Hankook tires are in use in the various regions"

Basically, it's a gutted miata that has to meet the spec requirements (ie: weight, with safety equipment, etc). You can find used spec miata's at http://www.sccaforums.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/forum/46

·
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks!

Is a SCCA T-3 racer different than a spec maita? A friendis turning the MSM into a SCCA T-3 racer, and I'm just trying to figure out if he's moving up, or if the spec miata now allows turbo?

Afterall, once I get the Sol, I'll be able to bang up the MSM, maybe on a track :lol:

·
Registered
397 Posts
SM is a different class than T3. T3 allows fewer mods than SM and is basically for new, mostly stock cars. SM does not allow turbo miatas. T3 is also a brand new class this year, previously only T1 and T2 were available.

http://www.specmiata.com/

This site should have everything you need to know about SMs.

www.scca.org

SCCA's site has lots of racing info, plus the 2005 rule book (GCR) is now online so you can look up the specs for any class, any car.

I wish I knew how to put an in car video of one of my races online but it is currently in VHS form.

·
Registered
16 Posts
SCCA HP Racer, there's a few ways to put it on the computer.

1) You can probably use a video capture card (not a normal video card) and use A/V cables to connect the VCR to the video capture card. You can probably buy these for less than $100

2) Or you can use a solid state recording device such as the one randy from chasecam.com is working on. This can capture video from TV, VCR, bullet cameras, etc and put it on a flash memory card. Once it's on the compact flash card you can easily transfer it to your computer. There's a few others out there. I got mine for $120 shipped from amazon. (I need to save up money for the bullet cam now).

If you go with #2, you can replace your camcorder with the solid state recorder and get a separate bullet camera to record the video.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Thanks Brentil

Thanks Jon, I will have to investigate further and figure out which option I'll go with. The video was made using a friend's bullet cam hooked to camera, it came out rock steady.

·
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I could not find the Hans Stuck video on that link above, so I dug it up.....

WOOOOOOOOOOOW I love this video,

it's 10 minutes, the first two minutes are mild compared to the rest of it, check out when he hits those straights, this guy knows how to drive BIG TIME.....

Enjoy:

http://www.bmwtransact.com/microsite/Nurburgring/

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
RODEO said:
I could not find the Hans Stuck video on that link above, so I dug it up.....

WOOOOOOOOOOOW I love this video,

it's 10 minutes, the first two minutes are mild compared to the rest of it, check out when he hits those straights, this guy knows how to drive BIG TIME.....

Enjoy:

http://www.bmwtransact.com/microsite/Nurburgring/
:devil: Now that is some driving! It's amazing how fast he blows by some of the other, slower traffic on the circuit! Very cool vid, thanks Rodeo!

·
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Fformula88 said:
:devil: Now that is some driving! It's amazing how fast he blows by some of the other, slower traffic on the circuit! Very cool vid, thanks Rodeo!
especially when that slower traffic is driving some nice Carreras etc.... ;)

I thought you'd enjoy, and some others could enjoy. It's actually thanks to TCL, he was the one that pointed it out to me back in Feb. :thumbs:

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
RODEO said:
especially when that slower traffic is driving some nice Carreras etc.... ;)

I thought you'd enjoy, and some others could enjoy. It's actually thanks to TCL, he was the one that pointed it out to me back in Feb. :thumbs:
I did notice a couple Porsches getting blown into the weeds! :lol: He was a very smooth driver! You could tell he was a pro, and I have a feeling he has driven that course a couple times before!

Wow, I so want to drive the N-ring! One of these days, I am planning a Euro-Trip (not exactly like the movie of the same name) and will take a turn on that track! :cool:

·
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Fformula88 said:
I did notice a couple Porsches getting blown into the weeds! :lol: He was a very smooth driver! You could tell he was a pro, and I have a feeling he has driven that course a couple times before!

Wow, I so want to drive the N-ring! One of these days, I am planning a Euro-Trip (not exactly like the movie of the same name) and will take a turn on that track! :cool:
Yep, I researched Hans Stuck, he's a legend and his farther is a legend, this driver was the son, his name is Hans-Joachim Stuck, I can see from that video why that family has what legends are made of :)

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
RODEO said:
Yep, I researched Hans Stuck, he's a legend and his farther is a legend, this driver was the son, his name is Hans-Joachim Stuck, I can see from that video why that family has what legends are made of :)
I can see it. It makes me want to test drive an M3 tomorrow! :lol:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts