Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok... here is the lowdown.

Today, my wife was picking up her Pontiac G6 from John Hine Pontiac-Mazda-Dodge here in San Diego, CA.

She was speaking with the service manager about the Solstice and more specifically if the dealership would be willing to give us a good deal on sticker/trade in due to all of the issues we've had with her car. Her G6 has been in the dealer seven times since March to repair the panoramic sunroof, which had this nasty tendancy to make noise. Attempts to repair it by the dealer were either unsuccessful, or resulted in damaged or lost interior parts due to their crack technicians.


Anyways...

After he gave us the official line of "limited numbers, can't speak for the sales department, blah, blah, blah..." he did indicate that our patience with their difficulties in repairing my wife's car would most likely be rewarded with a generous trade-in appraisle or discount on a Solstice after the initial rush has worn off. Cool


To the meat of the discussion:

He then, the service manager, went on to talk about how he's been attending all of the Solstice service sales meetings and that we might be allowed to purchase the car as they become available. He then proceeded to inform my wife that not everyone who tests drive a Solstice would be allowed to purchase it, as they (I would assume GM) want to market this vehicle to a particular type of customer.

My wife responded with "So Pontiac learned their lesson with the G6 becomming the "Oprah car?"

At anyrate.. the gist of the coversation is that that particular dealer is planning to restrict Solstice sales to a "particular type" of driver. My question for the forum is two-fold:

1. Is this a GM policy for the, I would assume, unspoken for initial allotment?

2. If no. 1 is true, did anyone over at GM ever read on the history of the Corvette where they initially restricted who could buy one, albiet they only made 300 in '53, and the backlash over that nearly killed the car?

Don't shoot the messenger. This is the conversation as reported to me by the wife. I accept the fact that the service manager in question could very well have been "misinformed."
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,053 Posts
Sounds like a bit of a car snob if you ask me. Also sounds like BS. My guess is to butter you up as fitting the "particular type" and to keep you from low balling the price. If he was serious, then he might as well staple "Sue Me!" on his forehead.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,171 Posts
Yeh, they target a particular kind of car buyer...those with cash or good credit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,248 Posts
Seems to me, it's time to find a new dealer....

ELTGuy said:
Her G6 has been in the dealer seven times since March to repair the panoramic sunroof, which had this nasty tendency to make noise. Attempts to repair it by the dealer were either unsuccessful, or resulted in damaged or lost interior parts due to their crack technicians.
While repair difficulties are not uncommon, there are some folks out there who are very good at what they do. It can be worth the time to try to find a dealer with a technician that you get along well with.
ELTGuy said:
He then, the service manager, went on to talk about how he's been attending all of the Solstice service sales meetings and that we might be allowed to purchase the car as they become available. He then proceeded to inform my wife that not everyone who tests drive a Solstice would be allowed to purchase it, as they (I would assume GM) want to market this vehicle to a particular type of customer.
I sure hope others on the forum who are involved in dealerships don't take offense, but this sounds way more than a bit odd.

My self, when I was looking back on March 6 for a dealer who knew about the Early Order Program and had enrolled, I talked to several dealerships. Armed with a fair amount of knowledge, I could easily spot misinterpretations and misunderstandings. And I felt there were a few "fabrications" as well. This discussion sounds like it might fall into one of those three categories.

I personally have a great deal more respect for the answer, "I don't know, but I'll see if I can find out."

Perhaps, it might be worth visiting some other dealers. (Your mileage may vary.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
"type of customer". are they kidding. GM needs every customer they can get.

I guess the dealers are blinded by the initial hype and demand for this car - and think its going to last forever. It isn't, its a temporary bubble, production will catch up, and next year at this time, the entire equation will be different.

this is not a Ferrari or a Bentley. even Porsche has cars sitting on their lots - any buyer who comes along, they take.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
You know when I first started inquiring about the solstice the pontiac dealerships were very snooty to me. I don't like their attitudes towards people. I knew more about the damn car then they did and they acted like I didn't know anything. They just kept trying to sale me that G6. Then I went to the Saturn Dealership to inquire about the sky and they have been nothing but nice. The guy even put me and my mom on the early registration list so I have a better chance of getting a sky (in case the solstice situation happens with the sky). To me the saturn people are soooooo much nicer. It's honestly what made me change my mind about getting a solstice. I am sky all the way now. If they act like that now what will they act like when something needs repaired on your car???????
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,691 Posts
Pammysoltice said:
You know when I first started inquiring about the solstice the pontiac dealerships were very snooty to me. I don't like their attitudes towards people. I knew more about the damn car then they did and they acted like I didn't know anything. They just kept trying to sale me that G6. Then I went to the Saturn Dealership to inquire about the sky and they have been nothing but nice. The guy even put me and my mom on the early registration list so I have a better chance of getting a sky (in case the solstice situation happens with the sky). To me the saturn people are soooooo much nicer. It's honestly what made me change my mind about getting a solstice. I am sky all the way now. If they act like that now what will they act like when something needs repaired on your car???????
Don't lump all Pontiac dealers and/or staff into the same bucket. I stopped in the "big" city adn they were snooty and I got the impression that they ONLY want to sell what they have on the lot. All I was doing was inquiring to see if they knew more than this forum (which they did not). Even at my small town dealer where I ordered they did not know much more than I, but their enthusiasm for the car makes a H*** of a difference.

As far as a certain type of buyer for the Sol/Sky, if they are trying to keep the car out of the hands of the ricer/tuner crowd they shouldn't worry, how is anyone going to get a 10 cu ft subwoofer in the trunk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
121 Posts
I ma pretty sure that the guy meant they were marketing the car to a peticular type of customer and not selling.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
stang said:
Sounds like a bit of a car snob if you ask me. Also sounds like BS. My guess is to butter you up as fitting the "particular type" and to keep you from low balling the price. If he was serious, then he might as well staple "Sue Me!" on his forehead.
:agree:

Good insight, I bet they were trying to play to people's natural tendancy to want to be superb to others, and when someone thinks that they are thought of as superb they don't want to do anything (like demand a lower price) that might lower their esteem in the other persons eyes.

I've seen many car salesmen do this, saying things like "Well then, maybe this isn't the car for you" or "Maybe you should consider a ... [Enter either less expensive/prestigious car or used car here]" when they darn well know that you're not interested in the less expensive option and have the money to buy the more expensive. The response they want to elicit from you is your trying to prove to them that you can afford the better car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
"My Wife was talking to the Service Department"

The big problem with the entire conversation is she was speaking to the "Service Manager". The service department and the "SALES" department are like night and day. Most Pontiac/ GM dealers are respectible dealerships. You will find "WORTHLESS" sales and service periodically, anywhere in the country. Find what works best for you in a dealership and support that particular dealer. :nopity:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
397 Posts
Although I agree that the mgr. misheard what was probably "marketing" to a specific crowd, it really wouldn't suprise me at that dealership.
They jerked me around from the start (I originally placed my order during EOP). In fact so much so that I finally went to another dealer and got the 2nd car in their first allocation!

And I agree - some dealers can be VERY snobby. Some tend to have this attitude that they are doing YOU a favor. Especially with a car like this. They figure "Too bad - if you don't buy it someone else will!"
But don't think that it's just Pontiac dealers - any dealership, in any town, in any state can act that way.
And again, most certainly , not every dealer will act that way either - some of our forum brethren for example:thumbs:

Sometimes you just need to look around until you find a dealer that fits.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
understand your concerns and sent you a private email about the dealer, all positive and whom to speak to... :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,171 Posts
I'm sure that GM, as do most manufacturers of any product, had an age demographic in mind that they felt would make up the bul of the buyers. And theres really nothing wrong with that, because it helps them determine what elements should go into the vehicle. Take (please do, because I don't want one) for example minivans. They wouldn't expect the average buyer to be a 23 year old single male. What I suspect has really surprised them, is that Solstice buyers seem to cover the spectrum, young to old.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top