Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
What is meant my "Cast oil filter"?

Does the solstice or ecotec have a different sort of oil filter than conventional cars? Does it really make a difference if you don't have to get under to change it, because you still have to drain the oil.

silversolstice

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
One item mentioned that was in the originating thread was it's officially listed as having a Compression Ratio of 10.4:1 now isntead of 10.6:1.

·
Registered
180 Posts
it probably uses a cartridge oil filter system, which is prominent in many saturns. So you pretty much open the top of the area where the cartridge goes and swap them. Eliminates the messy spin on can style oil filters. I think its a good thing..... so long as we can find oil filters on the market.

·
5,600 Posts
Fast ratio steering with 2.7 turns lock-to-lock. Yeah, baby! I am loving that. :thumbs:

Can you say "Adult Go Cart?" I thought you could. :yesnod:

·
Registered
705 Posts
silversolstice said:

Does the solstice or ecotec have a different sort of oil filter than conventional cars? Does it really make a difference if you don't have to get under to change it, because you still have to drain the oil.

silversolstice
My old Jag had one of these. You still needed to replace the filter but it's just a paper cylinder not a tin can. And yes you still need to get under the car to remove the plug. I understand it is more environmentally friendly but to be honest it is a bit messy in real life use.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jimbo said:
Fast ratio steering with 2.7 turns lock-to-lock. Yeah, baby! I am loving that. :thumbs:

Can you say "Adult Go Cart?" I thought you could. :yesnod:
Good steering jimbo?

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
mceb, let's just say it's going to be extremely responsive!

·
5,600 Posts
mceb said:
Good steering jimbo?
I should thinks so. We will see how the steering feels. How communicative it is. But lets compare the Solstice to the outstanding Honda S2000.

Pontiac Solstice
2.7 turns lock-to-lock
35.1 foot turning circle

Honda S2000
2.6 turns lock-to-lock
35.4 foot turning circle

That makes the turbo Solstice a dead ringer for the Honda S2000. That is some serious bench-marking in a roadster.

Cars with 2.6 turns lock-to-lock include the S2000, the Porsche 911 and the Nissan 350z. Pretty serious competition.

By comparison, the Corvette steering is 2.8 turns lock-to-lock with a 39-foot turning circle. A phenomenal performance car but not very nimble.

A Porsche Boxster is 3.0 turns lock-to-lock with a 35.8-foot turning circle.

The champ for agility is of course the little Mazda Miata at 2.7 turns lock-to-lock and an amazing 30.2-foot turning circle.

For my money, the Solstice will offer an ideal combination of quick steering for agility with appropriate size and weight to offer a fairly comfortable ride and stable handling and straight-line cruising.

I am absolutely loving this car already. It would almost be enough to drive such a gorgeous car performance-be-dammed, but to have one so superbly competent as a driving platform -- and offered from GM no less! -- well all I can say is, "Boy! What a deal!":willy:

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
jimbo said:
I should thinks so. We will see how the steering feels. How communicative it is. But lets compare the Solstice to the outstanding Honda S2000.

Pontiac Solstice
2.7 turns lock-to-lock
35.1 foot turning circle

Honda S2000
2.6 turns lock-to-lock
35.4 foot turning circle

That makes the turbo Solstice a dead ringer for the Honda S2000. That is some serious bench-marking in a roadster.

Cars with 2.6 turns lock-to-lock include the S2000, the Porsche 911 and the Nissan 350z. Pretty serious competition.

By comparison, the Corvette steering is 2.8 turns lock-to-lock with a 39-foot turning circle. A phenomenal performance car but not very nimble.

A Porsche Boxster is 3.0 turns lock-to-lock with a 35.8-foot turning circle.

The champ for agility is of course the little Mazda Miata at 2.7 turns lock-to-lock and an amazing 30.2-foot turning circle.

For my money, the Solstice will offer an ideal combination of quick steering for agility with appropriate size and weight to offer a fairly comfortable ride and stable handling and straight-line cruising.

I am absolutely loving this car already. It would almost be enough to drive such a gorgeous car performance-be-dammed, but to have one so superbly competent as a driving platform -- and offered from GM no less! -- well all I can say is, "Boy! What a deal!":willy:
Great look at the data, jimbo :thumbs:

The only thing I'd add, is that the shorter the wheelbase, the shorter the turning circle - it counts for a LOT because longer wheelbase cars require tighter steering angles to get the same turn circle, and usually sacrifice geometry to get there, especially if you have large wheels and tires. Mazda gets their short turn circle because it is 7" shorter wheelbase.

·
Registered
17 Posts
silversolstice said:

silversolstice
If GM doesn't mess up the dipstick tube, you can change the oil buy sucking it out the dipstick (with a vacuum tank that you can buy or make). Since the filter is changed from above, you don't need to get under the car to change the oil. This is how I change the oil in my VW TDI that also has a filter of this type (and also a sound cover on the bottom of the engine that otherwise would need to be removed).

·
Registered
350 Posts
solsticeman said:
Fuel capacity? the book said something like 13 gal, the specs now say 13.8 gallons.
I think that this came up once before and I made mention that on the dealer world site it has always listed it at 13.8 gallons. My guess is that it is a 13 gallon tank with a 0.8 gallon reserve, but that of course is just a guess.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the numbers jimbo, glad to hear we are in such great company on the steering :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Excelsior said:
UI must have found early data on the Miata for lock to lock. What I found said 3.4 if I remember right.
The 06 MX-5 is 15:1, 2.6 L to L and 30.8 turning circle.

The 05 was 2.7 L to L and 30.2 turning circle

The Mazdaspeed Miata 2.3 L to L and 34.2 ft. turning circle. While the rack and suspension are the same as a regular Miata, the 17" rims and tires limit the amount the wheels can be turned.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
They make it sound like they are really trying to make the interior as quiet as possible:

-An optimized acoustic barrier and sound absorption package to provide world-class levels of interior quietness
- Direct mounting of all accessories to the engine structure to eliminate common sources of noise, vibration and harshness-

And what is this "glass backlight?"

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
mceb said:
fancy name for back window
So, there's no "cabin light" possibly somewhere back there? Err, there probably are lights in the rear-view mirror.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts