Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There seem to be a couple of members on this forum who have reasonably strong technical backgrounds. Anyone care to speculate on how a supercharged version of the solstice will perform, if we make the assumption that:

1) it comes in at 240hp as speculated, and
2) weighs the same as the base version (or close to it)

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Damovc said:
There seem to be a couple of members on this forum who have reasonably strong technical backgrounds. Anyone care to speculate on how a supercharged version of the solstice will perform, if we make the assumption that:

IF and only IF it is supercharged. There's also a lot of speculation and no firm GM committment for a charged version at all, just a lot of 'hinting'. And there's quite a few that have assumed this fictional *-charged engine is going to be a supercharged one.

Having said that, IF they do any sort of charging, my money is on turbo. My guess is that if they do a turbo, it will come in at a minimum of 230 HP. Also, my speculation is that it would be dropped down in displacement to a 2.0 (but that's just a guess), something like the SAAB turbos currently available.

Generally, you can count on either a super or a turbo charger and all the baggage to go with it to weigh in at an extra 35 lbs minimum, but maybe more (possibly MUCH more) than that.

So go with a bunch of options that get tied to an uplevel engine and everything else, maybe 19" or 20" wheels even?... powered hard top?... who knows... and I could see things looking like... just a moment... looking in my crystal ball...

Answers... I see answers... maybe not correct ones, but:

1) Yup. Probably minimum 240 hp. SAABs are easily making 1.8 liter turbos at over 200.
2) Add 75 lbs, and maybe as much as 125 lbs [GASP!!!] . Worst case 125, making a new curb weight of 1 1/2 tons (that's 3000 lbs... not so bad, really).

Depending on if, but assuming it is done, and how it is accomplished, torque peaks are dropping lower and lower on turbos nowadays. Either super or turbo, it ought to be a 'spirited' ride, no matter what. :smile

·
Registered
275 Posts
Well if you have boost, you do not need VVT, can control the cylinder filling with the manifold pressure. In fact with boost you want to optomise for the exhaust, not the intake, so save that.

The intercooler (necessity if serious hp) is going to add some weight but not much. Do agree that for an inline four turbo vs crank charger is a wash difficulty is that a flow through DOHC head - pretty much essential for a sporty N/A engine - is not what you want with a turbo - much simpler plumbing if the exhaust and intake are on the same side. With a crank driven charger, it doesn't matter as much, in fact you want the hot exhaust pipes on the other side.

All that is really by-the-by, if there is a S/C engine available, chances are it will be the same as the Cobalt , maybe stretched to 2.2 for the 2006 model year. Pontiac has said everything is off the shelf.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Damovc said:

*using solsticemans disclaimer*

should be a mid 13 sec car with that power level. turbo would be nice, but i dont see GM investing all the money to make one for the ecotec in a longitudinal config. a cheap eaton SC would be my bet. bolt it on the intake manifold, bolt the TB to the SC housings top (facing the left front wheel), stick a tube, MAF, and air filter on the TB and you're done. look for torque to be north of 240, too, and down low. with the right gearing, the torque would spin the engine quickly, which is why people think a 6 speed manual might be an option with the SC.

i dont care what it is. whatever Gm does,it wont be enough for me! :jester

400hp puts the solstice in the low 11s. :thumbs

1 - 4 of 4 Posts