Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, well I have referenced my issue in another thread stating my concern about the closeness of our cars to the ground. So this an on-going thread of suggestions and feedback for what has worked for some individuals.

Background information: Our cars' front bumper (well most anyways) have a clearance of about 5 inches off the ground and the air dam (i'm calling it an air dam, not sure of the proper terminology, feel free to correct me on this) being about an inch or two off the ground. In effect, when we drive (most of the time off rather than on) off/on driveways/speed bumps/any other abnormal surface in the road we often hear that sound that makes us cringe for our car's health. THAT SCRAPING SOUND!!

So let's address the problems and the possible solutions:

My background information: I drive a N/A (I believe N/A refers to non-GXP in this forum) 07' Pont. Sol. and almost every time I drive off my driveway I hear the bottom lip of my front bumper scrape against the concrete. I have avoided this scraping maybe once or twice, but I have no idea how. My driveway's about 2 inches off the street and my garage is about 2 inches off the driveway as well.

Some pictures: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9oweugvhyboysku/TfEQ73I3qx
Starts with some basic and then into measurements (all referenced above). I took 2 driveway pictures, one of each end to make sure it was leveled and that I didn't somehow drive too close to one end which caused me once or twice not to scrape my bumper.

Here was a post from the previous thread:
I can enter my driveway without scraping but backing out is about a 50/50 chance. I guarantee your home owners association will NOT allow you to use one of those ramps but you can get away with pouring one out of concrete. However, if it affects water drainage then the city will come remove it. I don't see why you couldn't cut about 1/2 inch off of the lip. might be worth a try and prevent it from catching on something and ripping the whole thing off.
Charlie (TX08manualGXP): this lip cutting, that's my bumper correct and not the driveway? If so could I just sand it down or would I take other precautions.

Others have suggested angling the car when backing out (slowly) so the front wheels do not land on the street at the same time. I have tried this tactic earlier this morning and have had no success, but one test cannot prove it so I will test this the remainder of the week and report back.

Another suggestion was a driveway ramp; however, agreeing with Charlie, I do not believe my area of residency allows this sort of "street modification" so that is a no-go.

I am considering either sanding down my front bumper's lip or sanding down my driveway's curb a bit to allow no-scrape. However, this will not address those nasty speed bumps and other bumps in the road. So, we need more suggestions, more feedback, and more problems!!

Thanks.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
When I had my car lowered to the max I had a simlar problem. What I did was attach rub strips. If you look at a good table saw, they come with a fence faces with hard, smooth white nylon plastic. I ordered a couple of feet of this material and made small rectangles that I attached at the low points of the front valence. When the front end came in contact with curbs or driveways, the rub strips would strike first and bend the bumper up and away from the concrete protecting the paint from damage. It worked fine for me.
A possible solution, will edit this post when I find a store that supplies these "rub strips."

·
Registered
901 Posts
When you say your driveway is two inches off the street do you mean the curb is only 2 inches high?

·
Premium Member
5,267 Posts
I avoid the problem in my own driveway by
going in and out of the driveway on an angle so that
only one wheel at a time passes over the unevenness...

·
Registered
901 Posts
My curb is at least 6 inches high and my gxp wont rub under the front unless both wheels enter or exit the drive at the same time. If yours is rubbing at only 2 inches could you have a suspension problem or something not bracketed up under your car. There is no way yours should be hitting a 2 inch curb. Did you lower your car? What is the angle of your driveway? Is it very steep?

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My curb is at least 6 inches high and my gxp wont rub under the front unless both wheels enter or exit the drive at the same time. If yours is rubbing at only 2 inches could you have a suspension problem or something not bracketed up under your car. There is no way yours should be hitting a 2 inch curb. Did you lower your car? What is the angle of your driveway? Is it very steep?
First I will try turning the wheel all the way, and then making videos, calculations all the good work and find out the actual problem. But worst of all would be a suspension problem or a tire issue...

·
Registered
901 Posts
Man, now you got me thinking. I'll have to crawl under the car tonight and see how low the air dam is situated. I've never actually looked for it. Hell, mine might be gone for all I know. We did buy it used with 3k miles on it, maybe the people before us shaved it down from rubbing it.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Man, now you got me thinking. I'll have to crawl under the car tonight and see how low the air dam is situated. I've never actually looked for it. Hell, mine might be gone for all I know. We did buy it used with 3k miles on it, maybe the people before us shaved it down from rubbing it.
Haha, I cause lots of thinking! :thumbs:... and headaches!! :lol::thumbs:

Well as my new profession involves design, rebuilds, and engineering (primarily for automotives/mechanical) I shall draw up some blueprints, calculations, etc. when I get all my assignments&exams out of the way in November.

Feel free to do your own work until I prove you wrong! :lol: :D

·
Registered
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100 (sold)
2,735 Posts
You drop your car off a 6 inch curb???

The pics show that the lip of his driveway have a 2 inch drop to the street.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
It's an air deflector on the N/A (Naturally Aspirated). If you're not running a front plate(Texas no no?) in front of the grilles, then remove the deflector. The radiator gets enough air through the unobstructed grille. I did it to mine a couple years ago.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's an air deflector on the N/A (Naturally Aspirated). If you're not running a front plate(Texas no no?) in front of the grilles, then remove the deflector. The radiator gets enough air through the unobstructed grille. I did it to mine a couple years ago.
I don't run front plates on nice sports car, nor shall I ever; if you're a policeman in my area and would like to arrest me.. go ahead. :leaving:

And removing parts is not my forte unless it's necessary and only after I learn more about cars..

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I don't run front plates on nice sports car, nor shall I ever; if you're a policeman in my area and would like to arrest me.. go ahead. :leaving:

And removing parts is not my forte unless it's necessary and only after I learn more about cars..
I'm not a cop. I bought my coupe in El Paso, Texas new. I told the dealer to remove the front bracket. That's how I know they have a front plate. Hopefully you won't get a ticket, but it is required in Texas. The air deflector diverts the air under the car because a front plate deflects air away from the grilles. The temps did not increase since I removed the lower air deflector. Cars ARE my forte. Got fries?

·
Registered
8,044 Posts
Is your car lowered?

Did you buy new or used, because if bought used those scratches could of been done by the previous owner pulling over parking lot blocks. I looked at the pics and don't see how it could be scraping the bottom of your fascia, the lower air dam maybe, but not the bottom of the fascia.

If you can't use (or don't want) a rubber entrance ramp the only other option I see is having your driveway lowered and a cement ramp added to the garage entrance.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm not a cop. I bought my coupe in El Paso, Texas new. I told the dealer to remove the front bracket. That's how I know they have a front plate. Hopefully you won't get a ticket, but it is required in Texas. The air deflector diverts the air under the car because a front plate deflects air away from the grilles. The temps did not increase since I removed the lower air deflector. Cars ARE my forte. Got fries?
Ahh... Fries, now THAT'S my forte! :thumbs:

But seriously, laws are just made to be broken and some are down-right for a specific group. I mean I understand the whole concern for license plates, but truth be told license plates are a means of government taxes, quick safety checks, and again SAFETY! But let's be all honest here.. If you were to write down a license plate and report it to the authorities 1. They would need to be stopped to fully write it all down, and if they're stopped what are they doing wrong? 2. You would have to be going JUST as fast and exhibiting the same dangerous driving as them AND 3. It would just stress the whole system of spending weeks looking for a car when wasting all this gas money and valuable resources for an individual speeding .. when we can be using those valuable resources on bigger crimes/etc. That's just my opinion on the whole license plate issue.

Anyways, I did not know to that degree of the air impact from front license plates, but I wouldn't think it would affect the car as a whole too much? I could (and probably am) wrong though...

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Is your car lowered?

Did you buy new or used, because if bought used those scratches could of been done by the previous owner pulling over parking lot blocks. I looked at the pics and don't see how it could be scraping the bottom of your fascia, the lower air dam maybe, but not the bottom of the fascia.
I don't believe my car is lowered as I took a picture and it seems to be the typical ~5 inches clearance as many other Sol.s on this forum.. Also, even if the previous owner did the scratches, I did as well because every time I drive off my driveway I hear the scratch. I know I'm doing it, if it's minimal damage and the actual damage was previously owned or it's me, there is a scratching effect when I drive off.

Appreciate the feedback which gets me thinking though.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I live in a state that is rear plate only. Certain states have red light or speeding cameras pointed at the front for front plate states. It a revenue thing. Meanwhile, back to the scape issue. I don't think you're scrapping the bumper cover going in and out the driveway. I agree with Chop, the bumper cover scratches are most likely from parking lot blocks.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.