Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I want to thank who ever it is out there for doing such a good job on makeing this web site so user friendly for us ignorant old farts that have a hard time operating a microwave.
But I was wondering, is it in the realm of possibility to add some kind of spell check to this portion of the Forum? Maybe a little button where the "Quote" and "Wrap"(whatever that is) buttons are?
Spell Check has turned into one of those luxuries that, once used, has become a necessity. What I do now is type any questionable word on the e-mail "Write" box, click "Spell Check", then retype the correct spelling into the Forum. Combersome, but it works. Maybe it's just pie in the sky, but I thought I'd ask.
Again, you are appreciated! :thumbs

·
Registered
284 Posts
I looked into software that could plug into the website. Unfortunately what I found was a few thousand dollars to license.

There is a great free alternative that I have installed in my browser. Check out http://www.iespell.com/. This free tool downloads into your browser and can be used to check any input you do online.

:cheers:

Thanks for the comments. :)

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
DreamerDave said:
First off, I want to thank who ever it is out there for doing such a good job on makeing this web site so user friendly for us ignorant old farts that have a hard time operating a microwave.
But I was wondering, is it in the realm of possibility to add some kind of spell check to this portion of the Forum? Maybe a little button where the "Quote" and "Wrap"(whatever that is) buttons are?
Spell Check has turned into one of those luxuries that, once used, has become a necessity. What I do now is type any questionable word on the e-mail "Write" box, click "Spell Check", then retype the correct spelling into the Forum. Combersome, but it works. Maybe it's just pie in the sky, but I thought I'd ask.
Again, you are appreciated! :thumbs
I know what you mean. I am a naturally lousy speller and have become quite attached to spell checkers. I have wished that this site somehow had one, but when I see other people online that obiously couldn't give a rat's ass about spelling, I realize that I'm being far too anal about it. You just have to go with the flow and do like the romans and all that crap.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Troy Roberts said:
I looked into software that could plug into the website. Unfortunately what I found was a few thousand dollars to license.

There is a great free alternative that I have installed in my browser. Check out http://www.iespell.com/. This free tool downloads into your browser and can be used to check any input you do online.

:cheers:

Thanks for the comments. :)
Just curious, but are the plugins vbulliten? I would be surprised that they would charge so much for the plugin license, since I would not expect most people to buy it and make it worth there while to write it! Its certainly not worth a large cost outlay. We can survive with a few typos! :D But if it were cheaper, it certainly would be a cool feature to have!

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
You can always type your posts in Word too if you want.
If you can't afford Word OpenOffice is free.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Troy Roberts said:
It's the software that used to tie into vbulletin. They seem to be going after a different market now. www.spellchecker.net

http://www.spellchecker.net/pricing/licensed_spch.html

There may be some other options out there but I haven't found a good one yet.
WOW! $3500 for the first year, $750 every year thereafter? Man, they are scamming someone at those prices! They must be going after business customers or something with those prices. I cannot imagine seeing that software at those prices on your everyday internet forums!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts