Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was directed here by one of your own who found pictures i took on www.GrandAmGt.com.

So me and my friend pat are here in Colorado skiing and snowboarding at Copper Mountain, and one morning we look out our window to see a new Solstice in all black toolin around the parking lot. I look a little more into it and it definitely has a michigan plate.

So anyway this morning we saw about 6 of them in the parking lot. My guess is they are testing the altitude ability of the car? We are currently at 9,000 feet so its possible.

we saw the 6 of them sitting in the hotel parking lot on our way back from boarding and decided to get a closer look.
We actualy talked to one of the guys and he said that:
that is the performance version of the Solstice
it has about 200hp
they have been testing for a week
and they are working out of farmington hills, MI

the cars are MANGLED to hell, looks like theyve been rolled . the front bumper on all but one are primered with no grill with wires hangin out
without further adou

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
Awsome pics

I wonder how close mine will look like those? thanks for taking me up on posting :) it gives us so much more to speculate.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Notice the dual exhaust on the second one in line.

·
Registered
763 Posts
any speculation on how they made 200? and when they might debut such a car? I HOPE the FI version doesnt make only 200.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no the guy we talked to didnt really say much more after that. Im guessing it will not be too far in the near future. I want it to be supercharged!

·
4,592 Posts
Now I'm betting these are not production tops, BUT they are the best resolution pics of the top yet..........That is if I haven't missed another bit of news here and there.

The tops look odd, odder than I'd expect, but as I said, they are probably not production versions.

2 cents and change :brentil:

·
Registered
391 Posts
I wonder when they will come to Death Valley Ca?
I hope I get some kind of heads up? That way I can go see whats they are about:)
They need to test in the heat too :cool:

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
What's up with the shape of the lower portion of the 3 front ends visible? Notice how the bottom of the plastic nose piece seems to encircle the grill with two triangular air intakes just below and inside of the fog lights. Didn't notice this on any other shots of the mules.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Welcome aboard ViperGTSR 500HP. I hope you didn't mind that after WannaSolstice directed me to the grand am site I just couldn't wait a whole day to put the pictures and part of your story over on this board. You guys get the credit all the way through. Since you seem to be so close to where there may be any action don't go anywhere without your trusty camera. :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
DreamerDave said:
What's up with the shape of the lower portion of the 3 front ends visible? Notice how the bottom of the plastic nose piece seems to encircle the grill with two triangular air intakes just below and inside of the fog lights. Didn't notice this on any other shots of the mules.
Gotta be room for something, Dave...

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
DreamerDave said:
Yes those are different. Good eye.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Thanks for sharing the pics! Good find!

It looks like they have been giving those cars a workout!

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
mceb said:
Yes those are different. Good eye.
My humble guess is enhanced front spoiler that got ripped off going in and out of driveways.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hmmm... do I spy an intercooler right beneath the bumper support on the greyish solstice closest to us?

It seems the plastic bits to each side cap off the ends of the intercooler... if it is one. That would definately prove forced induction. Intercoolers though are usually utilized either for a turbo setup, or a centrifugal supercharger. Atleast an intercooler of that size

·
Registered
527 Posts
The front "triangles" looks like an intercooler to me...

EDIT: doh! beat me to it!

This may be VERY good news. There is absolutely no reason to altitude test a normally aspirated car, so this is definately using forced induction. As I said, it looks intercooled as well. The "triangles" hangin down look like the corners of an intercooler, but are very ugly. I would expect a production version to have a special front spoiler to cover up the ugly corners... And I would HATE to bang up that intercooler on a parking space brick or curb.

200hp? A good step, but I was definately hoping for more. Still, I always said 200hp was what the platform needed to get the nod so I'm very happy to see these cars out on a public street.

In the first pic I can barely make out that more than 1 of those cars has dual exhaust, so I think we can pretty much guarantee dual exhaust on the forced induction production model. It's not just on one of those cars, it's on all of them apparently.

What do you guys think about the one that has a different set of wheels? I usually like 5 spoke rims much better, but I have to admit that those other rims look much lighter - and lighter might be significantly better when we're talking about 18 inch rims.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Jus2shy said:
Hmmm... do I spy an intercooler right beneath the bumper support on the greyish solstice closest to us?
Is that those small triangle parts below the bumper Dave mentioned?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Those are the parts I was talking about.

You know, I really hope that those are not production tops. There is a very definate "peak" sticking right up in the middle of that top that is very unfashionable.

·
Registered
180 Posts
mceb said:
Is that those small triangle parts below the bumper Dave mentioned?
The triangular parts cap off the ends of the intercooler, lemme photochop it so you guys can see what I'm saying, I'll edit this later with the images.

The blue is the portion of the intercooler you don't see, but how bit it'd be, while the red is the visible portion of the intercooler

1 - 20 of 88 Posts